Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Does the DR offer free flu shots to everyone like they do in Canada or are they kept for a select few. I have never looked into it and have do not recall it ever being discuss here or elsewhere.
I posted this in another thread because it is not related to Coronavirus, but since you ask.... In the thread I started I also asked if anyone knows about the availability of Pneumonia and Shingles jabs here, but nobody repsonded.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
And you sound extremely happy, I wanna be like you when I grow up. 💃

Please don't. Don't worry, be happy.

1602887324172.png

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I posted this in another thread because it is not related to Coronavirus, but since you ask.... In the thread I started I also asked if anyone knows about the availability of Pneumonia and Shingles jabs here, but nobody repsonded.
As I posted before where I got my flu shot they also mentioned the Pneumonia shot. no idea on shingles. Vacuname they are on whatsapp

Reactions: drstock

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What "leader" are you following?
No need to look to the future

Annual flu shots are released annually.
The labs take an highly educated guess as to what strains their vaccine will target and usually get it right.
A persons "feelings" are no basis to make the determination that flu shots are ineffective.
To make an intelligent decision on the efficacy of the flu shot you only need to take a look at the science.
Elderly people living in ACLFs get ill and have underlying medical conditions that make them vulnerable.
People often expect to feel ill following the flu shot and so they do but there is nothing in the shot that causes it.

Everyone is a tough guy until they get punched in the mouth.

Many are anti flu shot until the get the flu and spend a week in bed too sick to move.
Anyone recall as a kid being gravely ill and looking at the ceiling thinking they will never take feeling good for granted again?
I remember hearing my brother promising god to go to church every Sunday if only he gets over Strep throat.
Many people denied the masks and recommended precautions about CV19 until they got it.
The ones that survived are all over the tv news describing their foolish choices and offering up a new viewpoint.

The seasonal flu and CV19 do not know what a real tough guy you are.
Why take a foolish risk of serous illness over what you "think"

A shame for all those pandemic experts, virologists, epidemilogists to spend all those years in medical school and a lifetime working in public health only to have their hard earned advice ignored because someone "thinks".
In this instance thinking is dangerous.
Please stay indoors until the vaccine is mailed to you

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Things actually worked out well. My friends are just starting to retire in the US. I am in a place where it is warm and I don't have to worry about working for anyone again.
I just got off the phone with a good friend in Colorado . He cannot go outside because the smoke from the wild fires is so bad.

In several years CV19 might die down to a dull roar. Time will tell.
It better die down soon or the economy as we knew it will be done.
I just flew from POP to Miami today on the AA 935 at 3:15 PM.
About 18-20 people on a plane that holds over 200. Had to circle of the coast of Florida for 20 minutes burning even more dollars for American Airlines because of thunderstorm at airport.
Got through with Global Entry in less than 3 minutes, fastest ever.. All done by facial recognition software - thanks Microsoft.
Bags were unloaded as soon as I took a leak so out the exit door in less than 12 minutes.

But you have to ask yourself - How long will American fly this money losing route ?
Masks the whole flight but no sweating, at least, because the plane was almost as cold as Canada is right now. Miserable in shorts and flip flops.
Only here long enough to pick up of my some tools - and vote a few times.....MAGA

Reactions: jd426

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Masks the whole flight but no sweating, at least, because the plane was almost as cold as Canada is right now. Miserable in shorts and flip flops.
Only here long enough to pick up of my some tools - and vote a few times.....MAGA

Ah.. One of those. Have you no shame? LOL

GE is one of the best purchases I've made in my life. I used to fly a ton but now hardly ever and I still renew mine.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
In a way the DR has managed things fairly well during this pandemic. I wouldn’t measure a country’s success on cases only. I think its a balance. Reading about other countries some have supposedly got it under control but paying a higher price and have painted themselves into a corner. The DR has reopened most of the economy and borders are open. As mentioned before tourists won’t come back here anyway the next couple of seasons and especially not many from Europe. As mentioned above traveling long distance will be uncomfortable. I am dreading my trip back to Europe in December wearing a mask all the way and it recently occurred to me in the airports to.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
DR so far without question has done better than many.
Another fact, more than 50 percent of the deceased had hypertension and diabetes as comorbidity, by 33.21 percent and 21.30 percent respectively.
I guess some of those would have died without covid-19 as well.

Another graph showing DR relative to other countries
12-FA3530-C53-C-4-C03-A1-AC-4-A3-E674-A326-E.png

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Ah.. One of those. Have you no shame? LOL

GE is one of the best purchases I've made in my life. I used to fly a ton but now hardly ever and I still renew mine.
Global Entry just gave me an 8-year renewal for $100, and because of Covid no in person interview. That's pretty good.
One question at passport control "What were you doing in DR". Answer "I live there for now just came home to vote" He smiled and said "Good" as I put my Thin Blue Line cap back on.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Looks like we need to ban traffic to make up for CV19 deaths. Could that work in the DR?
It would also help a lot with social distancing if nobody ever went anywhere until they died of starvation or thirst.
Today's news in Diaro Libre
The director of the Ney Arias Lora hospital, Julio Landrón, indicated that to date deaths from traffic accidents exceed 3,600, above the deaths of the COVID-19 disease, which according to the report of the Ministry of Public Health registers 2,192 deaths

I noticed that the Swedish immunologist Anders Tegnell said about the risk of being infected with covid-19: - More dangerous to cross the street.

And he doesn't comment on the traffic situation in DR, but Sweden.

Hopefully some resources will be directed to combat traffic accidents here, if there's resources left after the covid crisis....

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Today's news in Diaro Libre
The director of the Ney Arias Lora hospital, Julio Landrón, indicated that to date deaths from traffic accidents exceed 3,600, above the deaths of the COVID-19 disease, which according to the report of the Ministry of Public Health registers 2,192 deaths

I noticed that the Swedish immunologist Anders Tegnell said about the risk of being infected with covid-19: - More dangerous to cross the street.

And he doesn't comment on the traffic situation in DR, but Sweden.

Hopefully some resources will be directed to combat traffic accidents here, if there's resources left after the covid crisis....

Wishful thinking...

Reactions: CDNBear

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
A vaccine is one way to help get to herd immunity if it is even possible. Experts who originally said there was no herd immunity possible for CV19 are now
talking about herd immunity as if it were possible. This is before there is any real proof one way or the other.

My advice, logically, to all is to wait for actual results from vaccine testing which should be available in 2022.

My understanding of herd immunity is all safeguards are removed and its basically let it kill those it will and the animals left get herd immunity.
Respected experts have denounced herd immunity as "dangerous and nonsense".
It is a 100 year old theory misapplied from agriculture.
I am not aware it has ever worked as theorized in humans.

People who reject masks, curfews, social distancing, hand washing and demand immediate reopening of business in general are herd immunity supporters whether they realize it or not.

In order to be in the testing process the vaccines must have already shown they are effective.
The trials are not to determine effectiveness but to ensure safety.
Imagine a vaccine that protects you against CV19 but leads to increased heart disease.
They know the vaccines work or the companies would not be spending millions of dollars to test.

Even when a vaccine has proven to work without any side effects there will always be naysayers who refuse to take it.
Annual flu vaccine is only taken by about 50% of the population and its safety and efficacy is beyond question and there are years of problem free experience as proof.
It will be very interesting to see how many people will get a CV19 vaccine shot.
It may well be that we will need much less of the vaccine than anticipated which will facilitate distribution.

The world will always have those that row upstream.
Look at how many people in the DR that smoke in the face of the overwhelming evidence.

People are fascinating.

King in the North

King in the North
Jul 7, 2020
Santa Barbara de Samana
Not sure why the numbers of pcr positives matter. Those progressing to covid and dying are the numbers that are more important. The lethality rate in the DR is actually pretty low, compared to Canada, for example. In addition, there seems to be access to ivermectin, zinc and doxycycline which seems very promising for limiting replication of the sars-cov2 virus, should it find it’s way into you. Some common sense would be nice, something not in high supply where I live ( Toronto).
Do you happen to know if there are ventilators and access to Remdesivir, Dexamethasone, and the Regeneron cocktail available in the DR?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Do you happen to know if there are ventilators and access to Remdesivir, Dexamethasone, and the Regeneron cocktail available in the DR?
There are ventilators in clinics but I don't know about the medications.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Every week-end in Las Terrenas, it's one big beach/pool party, without any mask or social distancing, all those folks from Sto Dgo are dead drunk & hugging each others. If the virus was so strong, we'll all be dead by now. Something's not right here, what I hear on the media doesn't fit what I see with my eyes...

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Every week-end in Las Terrenas, it's one big beach/pool party, without any mask or social distancing, all those folks from Sto Dgo are dead drunk & hugging each others. If the virus was so strong, we'll all be dead by now. Something's not right here, what I hear on the media doesn't fit what I see with my eyes...

The DR is doing good so far, evidence in the post below

PLUS the infected from the parties in Las Terrenas are being killed in traffic when returning to SD before they can infect others:rolleyes:

dark humor aside, the risks for healthy people are not much different than other risks we deal with daily

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I'm sure you're aware a very large wedding in Punta Cana is considered to be one of the original sources for the pandemic here in the DR, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.