Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am a realist. The challenge of coming up with a vaccine that works is the first one. One that needs liquid nitrogen will not be practical in the DR.
In a few years we will know more.
I am under the impression that there are a number of vaccines that "work" currently in safety trials.
Russia and China had a vaccine that may or may not "work" that was released months ago.
China gave it to soldiers in the army and Russia released it to the general public.
Of course with both countries they cannot be relied on to be truthful about anything that could reflect poorly on either country.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No country can stop the virus. That is a practical impossibility.
Stopped is a poor word choice. Better might be has reduced the spread of the disease such that only a very small percent of testing is positive following masks, social distancing and frequent hand washing.
The world may well find that CV19 joins influenza and will require an annual or semi annual vaccine to avoid the illness.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In what may be bad news for less wealthy countries like the DR the main stream media is reporting today that the actual number of deaths in the US may be grossly underestimated.
Most first world countries have strict laws regarding autopsies, death certificates and disposition of the deceased.
The DR is less strict with its citizens and the poor in rural areas are often interred with no official records of the deaths.

If first world deaths are grossly underestimated then what must be the error in lesser developed countries like the DR?
It is reasonable to assume that illness numbers may also be highly inaccurate with poor quality medical care in rural areas.

The other difficulty is the lack of available tests in the DR, even in hospitals.
My brother in law became seriously ill with CV19 symptoms and went to the hospital where they had no test kits.
Was he counted among the CV19 cases?
How about all the others who went to the same hospital with the same symptoms where there was no test kits?

North Korea has zero cases of Corona Virus.
There were able to get to this number by not buying any test kits.
No tests equals zero cases.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
What has changed in the RD since March, in regards to the daily operations public hospitals and private clinics treating the Chinese Virus/Plandemic have taken?
Absolutely nothing.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Remember way back when, six/seven months now, when rubber gloves were mandatory as well?
What happened to that great idea? How much money was wasted.
As they continue with their draconian measures.
Not a single one of us in living here in Santiago
shall have any out door form of entertainment. Period.

Source: CitySantiago
At noon on Monday, the chief prosecutor of Santiago, José Francisco Núñez reported that he will request
the closure of Lovera Bar 2 for three months, for violating physical distancing.

In points such as the monument to the heroes of the Restoration, both in the afternoon and at night, hundreds
of people are observed consuming alcohol without keeping their distance.

Added to this is the disorder generated by the parking of vehicles in avenues such as Las Carreras and streets
that border the recreational space, due to the fact that circulation has been limited.

Faced with the chaos, Public Health began a day of inspection and awareness in bars and restaurants, aimed at
citizens who visit the establishments, to urge the use of masks and keep their distance.

Last Sunday, just 33 people were arrested during operations where the Lovera bar 2 entertainment center, located
on 27 de Febrero avenue, intervened. In Lovera, nine people were arrested, 11 hookahs were seized and three drawers
of speakers and music equipment were seized, for violating the measure of use of a mask and physical distancing.

While in the Don Pedro community they arrested five for sonic contamination and for violating the curfew.

In the municipality of Licey al Medio, they arrested ten, including two minors, for noise and for driving outside the hours
established by the authorities.They also arrested five in the municipality of Tamboril and another four in the community
of Gurabo, for violating the curfew.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think the DR has done well. Found a balance between the international pressure, the uncertainty of the virus and keeping things going as normal as possible.

Reactions: drstock

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How soon before the government begins to enter private properties, as in residences, in the name of Covid protection?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How soon before the government begins to enter private properties, as in residences, in the name of Covid protection?

There are tons of videos on Youtube of the police here doing just that for months now. I'm tellin' ya homie, subscribe to some of them!

Reactions: Michael DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Call to arms for POP & Sos/Cab

Watch yourselves people !!
============================================================================

MOH have given an updated Bulletin on covid19 in resort areas:

https://es-la.facebook.com/SaludPublica … mp;theater

19.6% and 19.8% positivity in Puerto Plata and Sosua/Cabarete respectively. 16.4% in Samana and 14.4% in La Altagracia.

Nationally today, it is greater Santo Domingo having most (324) of the 425 new cases at 12.86% day positivity.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm surprised. The food servers and preparers I have seen in restaurants aren't wearing masks. I understand you can't wear one when you are eating but those who come in contact with that many people each day like a waiter/waitress or those preparing food certainly should be wearing one. No wonder so many people have caught this bug. I went to a well know eatery last week to order take out for dinner and asked the waitress why no mask. Her reply was "it's not busy enough". Maybe it's not busy because people are being observant and are avoiding places that appear to be high risk. A waitress without a mask screams high risk to me and I of course was wearing my mask and kept my distance from others sitting in the corner all by myself while I waited for my order. I probably won't do that again if no masks being worn by the front line staff.

• Sad
Reactions: Michael DR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Call to arms for POP & Sos/Cab

Watch yourselves people !!
============================================================================

MOH have given an updated Bulletin on covid19 in resort areas:

https://es-la.facebook.com/SaludPublica … mp;theater

19.6% and 19.8% positivity in Puerto Plata and Sosua/Cabarete respectively. 16.4% in Samana and 14.4% in La Altagracia.

Nationally today, it is greater Santo Domingo having most (324) of the 425 new cases at 12.86% day positivity.
How many deaths?

Reactions: Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
According to DT, T"he Minister of Public Health, Dr. Plutarco Arias, tested positive for COVID-19.
He will be in quarantine and under the strict control of his doctors."

Perhaps this will slow down his push for more control over other people's lives.

Reactions: nanita and Caonabo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I haven't seen the death numbers broken out by area/region like they do w/ cases
Have you seen such a breakdown..... or are you just 'stirring up a storm '?
How long is a piece of string - type thing
hahahaha
fish somewhere else.....haha

Juan Saladin's daily reporting has more data concerning the pandemic than anyone could ever ask for. That information is as good as one is going to get.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Curfews forever, yeah that's not going to happen

The virus may be here to stay, but who will continue to be shut down behind curtains forever. Worst case, the vulnerable need to protect themselves, but the economy and life in general must be allowed to recover next year.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
What is going to change to eliminate the violation of human rights?
Numbers are going up and up...

Maybe after we all have recovered from the virus or deceased. Who knows at this stage.

In Brazil’s coronavirus-ravaged north, up to 66 per cent of people living in Manaus have contracted COVID-19, according to new research that aims to shed light on immunity.

Reactions: S_windsurf

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Only certain parts of the economy are suffering - not all
Life is quite normal aside from tourism and disco life.... as I see it.

Our restaurants, supermercados, colmados here in Cabrera just fine
Lots of house renovations.... new businesses building and opening

Our friend Gorgon is run off his feet buying cars for people

Not as doom & gloom and the Sos/Cab would paint....
I realize that tourist dependent areas are not good

Of course other may see things differently

I have heard the suggestion in other countries that bars/restaurants need the same support as farmers get
Pay them to close
Farmers get paid not to grow certain crops.... heavily subsidized

Reactions: aarhus

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Oh well, the economy suffering and governments continue to take loans
to manage is nothing to worry about. No consequences in the long run. Continue forever then.

My life is going on pretty good and I am happy, but I believe I am not the new normal.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
But : There are reasons to be hopeful. If we can continue risk-mitigation approaches until we have an effective vaccine, we can absolutely save lives.

There is hope we will have the first vaccine approved for emergency use late November/December.

How long it takes to roll this out to sufficient amount of persons is another question.
One year, two years? It depends.

Adapt to the situation and hope for a vaccine

Reactions: zoomzx11
Status
Not open for further replies.