Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I haven't seen the death numbers broken out by area/region like they do w/ cases

Have you seen such a breakdown..... or are you just 'stirring up a storm '?
How long is a piece of string - type thing

hahahaha
fish somewhere else.....haha
I saw the numbers of covid related death's in the Puerto Plata region last month after reading your "scary" post.

If I remember correctly they were in the twenties for the month total.

Reactions: zoomzx11

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
CDNBear, Apadpt as best you can to the situation. With lots of restaurant/bar servers not wearing masks or gloves (you have to wonder how often they wash their hands), and many food preparers also not taking the fundamental precautions, adapting now pretty much means relying only on yourself and to check very carefully when doing take out from your favorite establishment. Ordering delivery from anywhere is a crap shoot these days. I want to patronize these places and help them stay in business but they aren't making it easy to do so. I've witnessed some really questionable practices when it comes to washing glasses and utensils.. I now travel with my own plastic glass a lot of the time. I hope it doesn't get to the point that I need to pack a full place setting. It's not easy avoiding this virus and the people who have it. Try as we might, the population and to some extend the Govt just aren't helping as much as they could. The servers just don't seem to get it and that is the fault of the business owner. I shake uncontrollably every time I drive by Bailey's as I do miss their pizza and extensive menu. I saw they were open again the other day. Not a staff member in a mask to be seen. Lots of dirty glasses piled up next to the sink waiting for a quick dunking and swish in water that should have been changed long ago. Those same hands rinsing the glasses are also filling them back up and handing them to waiters or patrons at the bar who are way too close to each other. Yep the focus on limiting the spread in bars/restaurants is not quite up to the consistent level that it should be. Very hard to stay healthy without the help of others. Not an apparent priority for some public facing businesses I'm afraid. It's a real eye opener when you sit and watch what is actually going on in some of these public establishments. I went to Panmigo in Sosua yesterday because they can make a really good sandwich. No overt covid precautions visible except for an alcohol dispenser on a wall. Sad really, I want to go back again, but in the back of my mind I cannot help but wonder if I will catch covid for the want of a sandwich? Same with the other restaurant I alluded to in a different post. I enjoy their food and do appreciate a change in diet that I don't have to cook myself. But one cannot easily ignore the obvious lack of customer safety precautions that abound around town. Adapting to protect oneself is harder then it sounds or needs to be. There will be no real virus spread mitigation in this country until businesses and the population in general "get it". Until then, us vulnerables stay isolated and don't enjoy doing that very much while we heat up our kitchens after a long hot day.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
CDNBear, Apadpt as best you can to the situation. With lots of restaurant/bar servers not wearing masks or gloves (you have to wonder how often they wash their hands), and many food preparers also not taking the fundamental precautions, adapting now pretty much means relying only on yourself and to check very carefully when doing take out from your favorite establishment. Ordering delivery from anywhere is a crap shoot these days. I want to patronize these places and help them stay in business but they aren't making it easy to do so. I've witnessed some really questionable practices when it comes to washing glasses and utensils.. I now travel with my own plastic glass a lot of the time. I hope it doesn't get to the point that I need to pack a full place setting. It's not easy avoiding this virus and the people who have it. Try as we might, the population and to some extend the Govt just aren't helping as much as they could. The servers just don't seem to get it and that is the fault of the business owner. I shake uncontrollably every time I drive by Bailey's as I do miss their pizza and extensive menu. I saw they were open again the other day. Not a staff member in a mask to be seen. Lots of dirty glasses piled up next to the sink waiting for a quick dunking and swish in water that should have been changed long ago. Those same hands rinsing the glasses are also filling them back up and handing them to waiters or patrons at the bar who are way too close to each other. Yep the focus on limiting the spread in bars/restaurants is not quite up to the consistent level that it should be. Very hard to stay healthy without the help of others. Not an apparent priority for some public facing businesses I'm afraid. It's a real eye opener when you sit and watch what is actually going on in some of these public establishments. I went to Panmigo in Sosua yesterday because they can make a really good sandwich. No overt covid precautions visible except for an alcohol dispenser on a wall. Sad really, I want to go back again, but in the back of my mind I cannot help but wonder if I will catch covid for the want of a sandwich? Same with the other restaurant I alluded to in a different post. I enjoy their food and do appreciate a change in diet that I don't have to cook myself. But one cannot easily ignore the obvious lack of customer safety precautions that abound around town. Adapting to protect oneself is harder then it sounds or needs to be. There will be no real virus spread mitigation in this country until businesses and the population in general "get it". Until then, us vulnerables stay isolated and don't enjoy doing that very much while we heat up our kitchens after a long hot day.
Yes it would be best to stay away until you have the vaccine.................but I had a nice sandwich for you

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stopped is a poor word choice. Better might be has reduced the spread of the disease such that only a very small percent of testing is positive following masks, social distancing and frequent hand washing.
The world may well find that CV19 joins influenza and will require an annual or semi annual vaccine to avoid the illness.
Correct, there is no stopping CV19. It will be here, there and everywhere . The question is how long will human rights continue to be violated and to what degree as a reaction to the on going presence and spikes in CV19.. That is where we are now moving forward.

Reactions: Garyexpat

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Curfews forever, yeah that's not going to happen

The virus may be here to stay, but who will continue to be shut down behind curtains forever. Worst case, the vulnerable need to protect themselves, but the economy and life in general must be allowed to recover next year.
There is no government stating that the economy must be allowed to recover next year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe after we all have recovered from the virus or deceased. Who knows at this stage.

In Brazil’s coronavirus-ravaged north, up to 66 per cent of people living in Manaus have contracted COVID-19, according to new research that aims to shed light on immunity.
A most likely scenario is almost everyone will be infected eventually. In a few years we will know how long immunity from infection or injection lasts.
Meanwhile, decisions will be made by governments on how much to violate human rights.

Reactions: Garyexpat

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
How many deaths?

From September 13 to October 10, 2020, the tourist poles of the Dominican Republic reported 1,598 cases of COVID-19 and 14 deaths.

The mortality rate is 1.04%.

the number of beds and fans is below 20% in the last four weeks.

Of the 303 beds available for COVID-19 only 55 are used, which represents 18%. Of the 12 intensive care beds, one is occupied as is only one fan of the 26 they have.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
There are tons of videos on Youtube of the police here doing just that for months now. I'm tellin' ya homie, subscribe to some of them!

Oh no, no, no.
I only utilize YouTube for my music and hard to find vintage clips or documentaries. If a person posts a clip, or happens to send me one, I will watch it, but I do not have the free time to aimlessly search reports on every injustice in the world by this generation's version of Cronkite, Woodward and Bernstein.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Looks like the covid freaks are hell bent
on ruining Christmas for everyone down
here as well. Feel free to read the whole
article.
Source: ListinDiario

Reactions: jd426 and Garyexpat

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Looks like the covid freaks are hell bent
on ruining Christmas for everyone down
here as well. Feel free to read the whole
article.
Source: ListinDiario

As translated for our Spanish limited community members.....

The Public Health authorities draw up a plan for the celebration of Christmas, taking into account the sanitary measures against the coronavirus and the expressive culture of the Dominicans during their festivities.

The announcement was made by Eddy Pérez Then, advisor on Covid-19, together with Vice Minister Ivelisse Acosta and the Director of Epidemiology, Ronald Skews, in a press conference in which the Minister of Health, Plutarco Arias, was absent. who is in quarantine after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Pérez Then and Ivelisse Acosta explained that they are in the preparatory phase of that plan, of which they will give more details next week. It is emphasized in maintaining the tradition of a people, but enforcing restrictive measures in the event of excesses.

“We do not want to ignore that and we are evaluating how we are going to understand, firstly, what the culture of our people is and how to provide an alternative to what is coming. It is another challenge that we have as a population in general and as a State, ”said Pérez Then.

Officials showed satisfaction with the reduction in new cases and deaths from Covid-19, but emphasized that restrictive measures must be maintained to avoid outbreaks and outbreaks as in other countries that have had to return to the first restrictive phases.

They cited that the positivity rate has dropped to 12.85% and the fatality rate to 1.80%, when showing the statistics of epidemiological bulletins # 216 and number five of the situation in tourist areas.

The first reports two deaths for an accumulated of 2,206 deaths and 425 new infections, for a total of 122,368, with 20,141 active cases.

Another positive aspect that they highlighted is the hospital occupation of only 20%, although in intensive care units it is 30% and 18% of the ventilators are occupied.

Reactions: CristoRey

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
From the same link provded by CristoRey.....

In the tourist poles.....

Bulletin number five on the tourist poles indicates that there are 1,598 positive cases of coronavirus, of which 663 are in Bávaro, Punta Cana, Verón and Bayahíbe, in the La Altagracia province; 2,329 in La Romana; in Puerto Plata there are 2,558; in Sosúa 253 and in Las Terrenas de Samaná there are 53. Meanwhile, in Juan Dolio, in San Pedro de Macorís, there are 92 positive cases and in Boca Chica there are 27.

In the last four weeks, 14 deaths have been reported in these destinations, of which twelve were registered in Puerto Plata, one in San Pedro de Macorís and one in La Romana.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
And probably the most informative post, buried at the end of the article........

CONCERN
Dengue deaths

In the country, 3,585 cases of dengue have been registered, with 32 deaths, according to the epidemiological bulletin for week # 39, which collects statistics until September 26.

Director of Public Health Epidemiology Ronald Skews said dengue remains a concern and there have been more deaths than expected.

He said that in the middle of the year the cases increase, and that the coronavirus could have affected, in some way, or because there was no access to the health service or the pathology is confused with the virus.

Reactions: nanita

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's only like 90% of this country's GDP.
Certainly nothing worth complaining about.
Did you use a calculator for that?

I couldn't get the numbers to 90%......
round it up to ALL of the country's GDP

the number is

What percent of GDP is tourism in Dominican Republic?
11.6%

More than 6 million tourists visit the Dominican Republic, making it the most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean and putting it in the top 5 overall in the Americas. The industry accounts for 11.6% of the nation's GDP and is a particularly important source of revenue in coastal areas of the country.

Fearmongering - fake news......
I can agree it's big.....but get a grip.....lots of GDP segments NOT suffering

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I saw the numbers of covid related death's in the Puerto Plata region last month after reading your "scary" post.

If I remember correctly they were in the twenties for the month total.
The posted numbers are most certainly very low as regards death, illness and tested cases.
The DR does not do anywhere near enough testing to have an accurate idea of what is going in.
Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are close to being released.
When the vaccines come out it "should" get better but it may be a while before large enough numbers are vaccinated.

Then there is the cost issue and distribution obstacles.
Doubt Pfizer or Moderna vaccines will get here as they require extreme temperatures

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Did you use a calculator for that?

I couldn't get the numbers to 90%......
round it up to ALL of the country's GDP

the number is

What percent of GDP is tourism in Dominican Republic?
11.6%

More than 6 million tourists visit the Dominican Republic, making it the most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean and putting it in the top 5 overall in the Americas. The industry accounts for 11.6% of the nation's GDP and is a particularly important source of revenue in coastal areas of the country.

Fearmongering - fake news......
I can agree it's big.....but get a grip.....lots of GDP segments NOT suffering
Not according to what I've read in the Dominican press the past few years but
if they/ I have it wrong and stand corrected, fare enough.

Curfew doesn't impact me personally as much as some of you may think. I'm not a late night guy who lives on a barstool and i don't like large crowds. However it has had a huge negative impact on many
people's lives I care about down here and that's why I get so pissed about it. If they would have allowed the kids to continue their studies/ classes open, I'd complain a lot less. Would be nice if Metro y Caribe ran their normal schedules but minor issue.

Far as calling yall covid freaks, for myself and a few of my friends who post here....
Shits and giggles

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The posted numbers are most certainly very low as regards death, illness and tested cases.
The DR does not do anywhere near enough testing to have an accurate idea of what is going in.
Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are close to being released.
When the vaccines come out it "should" get better but it may be a while before large enough numbers are vaccinated.

Then there is the cost issue and distribution obstacles.
Doubt Pfizer or Moderna vaccines will get here as they require extreme temperatures
Give it a few years and we will know that the CV19 virus is here to stay.

Reactions: zoomzx11

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Can they put a curfew on Mosquitoes ?
When I brought this up with respect to comparing Malaria .. Someone actually said something like " oh but thats not a fair comparison. you have control over spreading Covid.. , cant control Mosquitos"..
No kidding ..thats the whole point .

A mosquito at least gives you a WARNING before it stings you. This Virus can be AIRBORNE and coming from the Person shopping in the next Isle at the Grocery store ... unless your N95 Mask is secure and snug and you are an expert at how to wear it .. you WILL be exposed , just a matter of when . not If ..

trying to control this Virus by FORCING others to wear a mask. and WHERE and WHEN to wear it ,
quite possibly the most ridiculous Social Engineering Experiment of all time .

I think Hanging Garlic around the Neck has a better chance of protecting one From Vampires .

The funniest and most ridiculous thing is being asked to wear a Mask to ENTER a Restaurant, and then being allowed to take it off and just CHAT away ,with anyone who will have a conversation with you... LOL

The Self proclaimed expert/ Covid Freak Governor here in NJ literally just got SNAGGED doing exactly that.. at a Bar in Hoboken, and now is quarantining himself ..
LMAO

Mods please dont delete my post , its important . a Bar is a Bar,... in the USA, or the DR.. its the Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.