Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The Constant threat of OBESITY due to over indulging at the All you can eat A I troughs have been Lived with for Much longer
and people seem totally fine with it .
But hey, This Virus does attack the LUNGS , so MAYBE it will actually Help motivate some people ,to get into Shape.
cuz Its kind of hard to exercise with 60 Lbs of Visceral fat around your Heart .
You are right. So maybe that was the conspiracy lol. Forcing us to be more health conscience and getting into shape.

Reactions: jd426

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We continue with the status quo of masks, hand washing, social distancing to reduce the spread and continue to see cases.

People who refuse masks and rail against closing the parts of the economy are often the kinds of folks who will refuse the vaccine, the tough guys, the contrarians, the people who complain about loss of human rights and science deniers.
These will be the exact folks who will be in a major way responsible for what they are complaining about continuing.

I've seen interviews, report videos etc etc. from various countries from Europe people even fighting police as they are "forced" to wear masks and do social distancing.... They form groups and demand freedom etc...

I honestly don't understand people like that at all. Wearing a mask is not a difficult task to do nor does it inconvenience you much... If that helps at all keeping this somehow in control, I have no trouble wearing it... When I see those reports and videos, I just wonder why these people have nothing better to do than complain and make a fuss... I'm more than busy with my family, and doing my best keeping them safe... We wear masks in public and none of us have any issues with that...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've seen interviews, report videos etc etc. from various countries from Europe people even fighting police as they are "forced" to wear masks and do social distancing.... They form groups and demand freedom etc...

I honestly don't understand people like that at all. Wearing a mask is not a difficult task to do nor does it inconvenience you much... If that helps at all keeping this somehow in control, I have no trouble wearing it... When I see those reports and videos, I just wonder why these people have nothing better to do than complain and make a fuss... I'm more than busy with my family, and doing my best keeping them safe... We wear masks in public and none of us have any issues with that...
Answer me this, if masks work why is there a reason to close the economy?

Reactions: Squat and jd426

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Some normal activities of the economy need be curtailed in order to prevent super spreader events. Movies theaters, concerts, etc...

If you reduced the potential large spots of spreading the virus, you can mitigate the severity of its pressure to the health care services and its collapse.

Much the nights activities involve social gatherings and drinking (without masks to protect).

The banking industry had been very careful to protect their specialized members from death
As they are very hard to train and experience can’t be build overnight on new hires. Reason why we see so few service agents at the institutions.

It’s a very hard thing to do.

I agree to the curfew being extended from Dec 1st until Jan 30th from 5 am to 11 pm 7 days a week. Keep the masks on policy at all times and enforced harshly. Monitor hot spots and come down hard on violators.

The DR is doing a far better job than most countries today, save for an exemplary few.

The USA is facing hard days ahead, lots of people that didn’t need to die will leave empty holes in families for a long time. Compare that to the DR and it’s budget in relation to each other?

I don’t blame the policies but the actual people that lack common sense, in a time when science is so advanced. Imagine if this was a chemical or bio weapon attack? Is this how people will react?

Two weeks we should had Shut down the whole country with military on the streets. Health ministry checking all homes. Providing free food to households during that period. We would had exterminated the virus in the DR.

Now we need to rebuild the economy from scratch. Period.

Reactions: Michael DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Some normal activities of the economy need be curtailed in order to prevent super spreader events. Movies theaters, concerts, etc...

If you reduced the potential large spots of spreading the virus, you can mitigate the severity of its pressure to the health care services and its collapse.

Much the nights activities involve social gatherings and drinking (without masks to protect).

The banking industry had been very careful to protect their specialized members from death
As they are very hard to train and experience can’t be build overnight on new hires. Reason why we see so few service agents at the institutions.

I agree to the curfew being extended from Dec 1st until Jan 30th from 5 am to 11 pm 7 days a week. Keep the masks on policy at all times and enforced harshly. Monitor hot spots and come down hard on violators.

The DR is doing a far better job than most countries today, save for an exemplary few.

The USA is facing hard days ahead, lots of people that didn’t need to die will leave empty holes in families for a long time. Compare that to the DR and it’s budget in relation to each other?

I don’t blame the policies but the actual people that lack common sense, in a time when science is so advanced. Imagine if this was a chemical or bio weapon attack? Is this how people will react?

Two weeks we should had Shut down the whole country with military on the streets. Health ministry checking all homes. Providing free food to households during that period. We would had exterminated the virus in the DR.

china did that to the extreme and they still have the virus, far more of it than they say.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Re
The tremendous lack of tourists here will continue. There are about 9 flights a day into PUJ, normally 9 flights come in in 2 or 3 hours. People from the EU are not coming here at all. Some countries insist on 14 day quarantine coming back to their country. No one wants a vacation like that.

Regardless of the the rhetoric it will be quite awhile for the tourist trade to even come close to as it was before Covid 19.
Resorts including all of Casa De Campo are literally dead. Its pretty bad. Casa De Campo supports many in the population there

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I have read no current and credible evidence or seen anything even close to proof supporting what you're saying and a TON of things which I've already posted in this thread supporting the use of masks. To protect others AND yourself, and I read everything that comes across my newsfeeds and that I can dig out.

It's a patently FALSE statement to say or even imply that masks don't offer protection from Covid-19 but feel free to try and prove that wrong

• Haha
Reactions: jd426

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you follow the news at all,
you'll read about several countries scrambling to contain the virus.... curfews, closings, severe measures.

We in Rep Dom are functioning well, as well as possible, and are reducing the case numbers.

Whatever the reason, our approach works better than others..... even the more sophisticated countries.

As we say to other complainers -
You don't like it ??
So leave ...........

Reactions: aarhus and SKY

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

No such lockdown that people would even remotely tolerate will eradicate this virus from any country. It would have to be for longer than 2 weeks.

But, let us say by some miracle a 2 week shut down did that in the DR and there are zero cases left. It would take only one case entering the country to start the pandemic back up again. Sure we know more now about how to mitigate the spread. Another lockdown and contact tracing until it starts up again. Rinse and repeat as needed.

CV19 is going to be around for many years. Most likely it will be a permanent factor to deal with.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Using masks is just one tool in the toolbox, Bob. If you're going to fix a problem that requires a few tools, you have to use all of them or you can't fix the problem.
There is one and only one thing that can "fix" this problem. It is called herd immunity. Nobody knows to this date if herd immunity can be reached.
All other measures simply flatten the curve, if they help at all.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Only a matter of time before money trumps prevention.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Name two vaccines against coronaviruses that are effective. I know of zero that work on coronaviruses.
Were the other vaccines ones that required liquid nitrogen and hoped to provide T cell immunity?

At least we agree this will take years if there is an effective vaccine which we won't until years down the road.
Years down the road ?
Way before then, people will just ignore mask and curfew rules and the virus will run its natural course like so many other airborne flu viruses before.
People twisting their proverbial panties in a wad over the 19th version of Covid are people who are always welcoming crisis in their lives.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Only a matter of time before money trumps prevention.
As it should. People would rather die of Covid than starvation

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Simply because there are so many who for whatever reason have chosen not to wear a mask, stay at least six week away from other people and to not gather in largish groups indoors or outdoors. Until individuals choose to do what is necessary to curb the spread of infection, the virus will continue to move from person to person faster and with greater ease that it otherwise should. Govt measures are a response to people not doing what can have the biggest impact on virus spread. Only people via their actions can influence how successful containment efforts will be. There are a handful of countries without any domestic spread of this virus and without exception the populations of these countries play the most significant part in attaining that result.

Reactions: zoomzx11

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Simply because there are so many who for whatever reason have chosen not to wear a mask, stay at least six week away from other people and to not gather in largish groups indoors or outdoors. Until individuals choose to do what is necessary to curb the spread of infection, the virus will continue to move from person to person faster and with greater ease that it otherwise should. Govt measures are a response to people not doing what can have the biggest impact on virus spread. Only people via their actions can influence how successful containment efforts will be. There are a handful of countries without any domestic spread of this virus and without exception the populations of these countries play the most significant part in attaining that result.
You need to be prepared that people rise up after a while of being under excess government control, and that day is coming quick. By Christmas / New Years you can forget people walking zombie-like in masks.
Those who believe in mask to protect them should wear them into infinite............................

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's called personal responsibility. If I believe wearing a mask has a benefit for me, then I can choose to wear a mask. If the other person is getting too close to me, I can either move myself or ask the person to back up a bit. Make whatever decisions you want for yourself but do not for a moment think that your decisions will not potentially affect someone else. If you are a carrier of this virus, it is up to you to not give it to someone else. If you don't wear a mask or stay apart from other people, in all likelihood you will become part of the problem as opposed to part of the mitigation.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The facts are simple. If you do not come into direct contact with other people and you clean your hands well after handling money or other public objects all the time, you most likely will not catch this virus anytime soon. If that is your goal this is what you have to do. If on the other hand you don't mind catching CV19 you can jump up and down all day about personal freedoms and Govt control.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There are a handful of countries without any domestic spread of this virus and without exception the populations of these countries play the most significant part in attaining that result.

I agree with this. Look at the numbers of Canada and some (not Sweden...) Scandinavian countries. Those places have little people living per square [add either miles or kms here].... It's much easier to do social distancing... I heard someone on this forum saying that masks are obligatory in Canada?

I have seen how people, if not for any other reason, as a protest, form large groups in Central Europe and the US... Then you have these very nice results...

We've recently been running a bunch of errands in POP and Santiago, and I have to say that for the most part, Dominicans are following the rules pretty nicely, have not seen one person without a mask (yes, maybe 1-2 exceptions, but still), and quite a few businesses have painted the social distancing limits to the ground... This following the rules might not be the reality in all the places, but where we've been, it has been so... Then again, we have no business in city centers...

Status
Not open for further replies.