Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I don’t believe the conspiracy theories but lots of governments and cooperations using the pandemic and no doubt opposition in the US used it politically and he the incumbent was using it to for instance to trash China and to come up with miraculous cures lol. Lets try and be honest about this. If this was so dangerous wouldn’t many more be seriously sick here. Yes the curfew and use of mask and some social distancing limited the spread but you see crowds all over the place. I find it comical the tourists feeling freer and safer here saying its worse where they come from. But its the same virus for goodness sake. If it really was so dangerous they wouldn’t be here risking their lives and risking having to experience Dominican health care. Yes I get it’s dangerous for people with existing conditions etc. But wasn’t the flu a risk for them to. I heard a Spanish doctor say on Spanish TV that it is only a pandemic because it spread quickly and is in the whole world. Is this really much more than a flu. There is a new focus on diseases and health of course and that’s good and sure there are some interests wanting more resources used on health care. I always thought it was the DRs biggest problem. In general I think there is a panic and hysteria.
Pandemic experts are warning that in many states in the US the hospital systems are near collapse.
Same experts say that the disease is leaving some who recover with long term changes in the brain, lungs and even the interior surfaces of veins and arteries.
The doctors have not found out why there are drastic differences in the seriousness of the disease.
Looks like it will take people dying in the streets for acceptance of measures that will reduce the cases.
Likelihood of death is low but that number comes only with high level medical care.
When the health system is overwhelmed and treatment is less available the death number will rise dramatically.

A flu shot is widely available and yet every year there are deaths.
Global estimate vary from 99,000 to 200,000 deaths per year from influenza.
A simple single shot would save those people.
Wearing masks, social distancing, hand washing and cover coughs and sneezes would drastically reduce the spread of the virus yet people resist complying.

People will be people.
Have a friend who knows very well what not to do.
His wife had a sleepover pajama party with bunch of her friends and he went out to watch last nights MMA fights with pals.
Exactly what the doctors say not to do.
Be interesting how my friend, his wife and her friends do in 14 days or so. Its was in LA and Ca. is seeing record numbers.

Why the DR is doing fairly well is a mystery.
So far the government is trying to follow best medical advice.
Hope it keeps up but even countries that took drastic measures and were very successful have had the virus return as they opened up areas where people are in close contact.
This virus is so contagious that even a few infected careless tourists could start a wildfire of disease.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Pandemic experts are warning that in many states in the US the hospital systems are near collapse.
Same experts say that the disease is leaving some who recover with long term changes in the brain, lungs and even the interior surfaces of veins and arteries.
The doctors have not found out why there are drastic differences in the seriousness of the disease.
Looks like it will take people dying in the streets for acceptance of measures that will reduce the cases.
Likelihood of death is low but that number comes only with high level medical care.
When the health system is overwhelmed and treatment is less available the death number will rise dramatically.

A flu shot is widely available and yet every year there are deaths.
Global estimate vary from 99,000 to 200,000 deaths per year from influenza.
A simple single shot would save those people.
Wearing masks, social distancing, hand washing and cover coughs and sneezes would drastically reduce the spread of the virus yet people resist complying.

People will be people.
Have a friend who knows very well what not to do.
His wife had a sleepover pajama party with bunch of her friends and he went out to watch last nights MMA fights with pals.
Exactly what the doctors say not to do.
Be interesting how my friend, his wife and her friends do in 14 days or so. Its was in LA and Ca. is seeing record numbers.

Why the DR is doing fairly well is a mystery.
So far the government is trying to follow best medical advice.
Hope it keeps up but even countries that took drastic measures and were very successful have had the virus return as they opened up areas where people are in close contact.
This virus is so contagious that even a few infected careless tourists could start a wildfire of disease.
Yeah we heard all about hospitals on the verge of collapse......watch them not

Reactions: Garyexpat

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
the company i'm with in the U.S. has fit out many temporary hospitals in available spaces and hospital parking lots, there's a good amount of medical equipment & beds for the sick available at this stage, but pretty much just in major cities, also medical staff is a different story. the sick in rural areas will have to make their way to bigger cities for treatment when it gets out of hand, i'm sure it applies to the DR as well.

Reactions: zoomzx11

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look at y'day's report ---- hospital beds have plenty of availability.....

1605528607170.png

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DR has it pretty much handled...what makes me wonder North American rate is climbing exponentially and December flights are starting to book flying in example POP 1st time west jet didn’t cancel month ahead of schedule... is it wrong time to let tourist in when their perspective countries are peaking ..
The DR has it handled? So everything is back like it was before anyone ever heard of CV19? That would be handled.

The DR is still in flatten the curve mode. People are being arrested who do not want to be "handled". CV19 is still here.
And it will be this way with curfews and restrictions until at least 2022 if current policies are continued.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Comparatively speaking,
I like the results in RD better than US/Canada/Europe
They DR does not need to push Covid for political reasons. They aren't trying to control the population to the point of dictatorship - maybe one of the reasons many of us moved to DR.
Even as an emerging 3rd world locale, it is not yet moving to outright censorship, control and subservience of its people.
Although we did see the censorship move into some threads on this forum.
I hope the liberal's totalitarianism we are seeing form in Western societies does not make its way here for at least another decade, when I will be looking at roots from the bottom

Reactions: cavok

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
The DR has it handled? So everything is back like it was before anyone ever heard of CV19? That would be handled.

The DR is still in flatten the curve mode. People are being arrested who do not want to be "handled". CV19 is still here.
And it will be this way with curfews and restrictions until at least 2022 if current policies are continued.
You don’t think DR has it handled compared to say US?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You don’t think DR has it handled compared to say US?
Handled to me would mean life if back to normal. Is life back to normal? No, the DR is trying to flatten the curve to attract AI tourists.
That is what the DR is doing.

The DR is violating human rights to "handle" CV19 and attract AI tourists and cruisers. If you think that is "handled", then who am I to dispute that?

(The EU is seeing massive spikes as well. Is it handled in the EU? No need to answer that, this is about the DR. )

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Handled to me would mean life if back to normal. Is life back to normal? No, the DR is trying to flatten the curve to attract AI tourists.
That is what the DR is doing.

The DR is violating human rights to "handle" CV19 and attract AI tourists and cruisers. If you think that is "handled", then who am I to dispute that?

(The EU is seeing massive spikes as well. Is it handled in the EU? No need to answer that, this is about the DR. )
It never going to be normal per say as old normal welcome to new Normal :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never thought DR would be better off then North America :( US out of control Canada well we are hitting new highs... is it good for DR to allow North American tourist come in before vaccine releas?
It is a priority for the DR to have AI tourists and Cruisers return.

New highs in Canada? They need ways to violate human rights and bring it down, don't they, eh?

Exactly when after the vaccine is released can things start up again? Do you realize how long it will take for the vaccine to be deployed and then determined if it was effective in the world? Years, it will take years.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If the DR is doing well comparatively speaking holding back the number of cases, ending the restrictions all at once will put an end to the current trend and see cases increase possibly exponentially. The virus is still here circulating in the population. Given a chance it will break out and spread rapidly. The current infection rate is not yet as low as I or the Govt would like it to be. So masks, hand washing and physical distance will be with us until there is a medical cure for treatment or a vaccine. Maybe the curfew can end if the govt changes the rules about distancing and intervenes everywhere there is more than immediate family members together not maintaining adequate physical distancing. Still a lot of informal groups forming wherever I look. These groups need to be kept small if disease control remains a priority and further draconian measures avoided. More educational messages from the government to the population are needed to drive home the point. imo. Now is not the time to throw caution to the wind. "only individuals by their consistent actions can limit the spread of Covid-19"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Right now all that matters is that your ass and mine gets vaccinated! ;)
I have no such simplistic view. Let us say I did. Being in the DR, I don't expect that will be possible to be vaccinated until late 2021 or 2022.
Then after,3, 6, 9 months , a year, months we will know if the vaccines still provides any protection at all.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have no such simplistic view. Let us say I did. Being in the DR, I don't expect that will be possible to be vaccinated until late 2021 or 2022.
Then after,3, 6, 9 months , a year, months we will know if the vaccines still provides any protection at all.

It's not just protection. It's also what does it do to your body that you may not like or want.

So yea, wait until 2022. Then say no!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's not just protection. It's also what does it do to your body that you may not like or want.

So yea, wait until 2022. Then say no!
What should I say no to?

I am well aware of the various effects CV19 has on people. It is in the news that I happen to read.

I am pointing out that there is no way anyone in the world will know how effective any vaccine will be over time.
95% effecacy for a few months during a clinical trial can turn into 0% effective after a year in the world.
Nobody knows this because it is impossible to know.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I hope that vaccine availability in the DR is well publicized and available to everyone (a least those with some sort of Cedula) free of charge. I'll go stand in line with everyone else if this is the case. If I have to go back for a booster shot 3 weeks later so be it. Dr1 can help with car pools to the vaccine sites. Still nothing to get all worked up about yet, as it will be awhile before any vaccine comes to this country. With no effective treatment for CV19 yet established globally, the vaccine is the only hope for those most at risk from this disease. Everyone is free to get it or not when available but many are eager for something they can do that may offer them more protection than just staying at home. I've read that the DR has prepurchased doses of vaccines, I just hope they placed their bets on the right suppliers for timely delivery and effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.