Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just hope that the distribution of the vaccine is easy to obtain and offered in many places. I do not wish to have to beg a ride to get vaccinated. I also hope that there is lots of notice when vaccines will be available in Sosua or nearby so that there is a chance I will hear about their availability so I can go get it. If dv8 were still around her posting about vaccine clinics would be invaluable.
We all have our hopes and dreams often disturbed by reality. Time will tell. Perhaps by Q1 of next year it will all be made clear.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think that elderly and high risk individuals should be second on list to health care providers.
After those, then hit the essential services (food chain, manufacturing, distribution and stocking) the emergency, security, etc (police, utilities, teachers, etc) and lastly on the 20 plus yo population.
I suspect it will be based upon political connections. This is the DR and we are both Dominicans, after all.... :giggle:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rightly or wrongly, "the world" has its hopes pinned on these vaccines. 1st world countries have more choice as to what can be made available to their populations due to the storage technology available for use and advanced distribution and delivery systems. Here in the DR not so much. It all hinges on the decisions the DR govt makes whether or not this country gets vaccinated quickly and efficiently. Any goal of less that 100% of everyone who lives here is a problem. Individuals may choose not to get vaccinated but the option should be available to everyone everywhere as quickly and easily as possible.

Reactions: zoomzx11

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Getting involved in politics is usually not a rewarding endeavor for non voting foreigners. But if I knew who my deputado is and how to contact them, I'd express my concerns regarding the upcoming vaccine distribution protocols.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rightly or wrongly, "the world" has its hopes pinned on these vaccines. 1st world countries have more choice as to what can be made available to their populations due to the storage technology available for use and advanced distribution and delivery systems. Here in the DR not so much. It all hinges on the decisions the DR govt makes whether or not this country gets vaccinated quickly and efficiently. Any goal of less that 100% of everyone who lives here is a problem. Individuals may choose not to get vaccinated but the option should be available to everyone everywhere as quickly and easily as possible.
It is going to be the continuation of some very interesting times. I have no doubt on that. How long will it take to vaccinate? Quite a while.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
None of the vaccine producers or the pandemic scientists have said the vaccine will stop transmission of the virus.
People have assumed that getting the vaccine along with the unexpected high numbers for immune response that the shot will stop you from transmitting the virus to others but although hoped there is no evidence.
Moderna came out today saying the same thing.
It seems common sense that conferring 95% immunity would mean you automatically do not spread a disease that did not cause symptoms as a result of the vaccine but vaccine science may not follow common sense.

If vaccinated people still spread the virus this is very bad news for the anti vaxxer crowd and means they will all be infected.

Other good news is that none of the mutations of the virus have shown an increase in transmission rates.

US said today that it is releasing the vaccines to the most populous states first.
This could be a science backed approach or a way to simplify distribution.
California, Texas, Florida and New York will lead the pack in that order

No details behind the distribution idea but IF there is good science behind the approach perhaps Santo Domingo is first?
Nice advantage to wait and see is we may learn what does not work.

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
None of the vaccine producers or the pandemic scientists have said the vaccine will stop transmission of the virus.
People have assumed that getting the vaccine along with the unexpected high numbers for immune response that the shot will stop you from transmitting the virus to others but although hoped there is no evidence.
Moderna came out today saying the same thing.
It seems common sense that conferring 95% immunity would mean you automatically do not spread a disease that did not cause symptoms as a result of the vaccine but vaccine science may not follow common sense.

If vaccinated people still spread the virus this is very bad news for the anti vaxxer crowd and means they will all be infected.

Other good news is that none of the mutations of the virus have shown an increase in transmission rates.

US said today that it is releasing the vaccines to the most populous states first.
This could be a science backed approach or a way to simplify distribution.
California, Texas, Florida and New York will lead the pack in that order

No details behind the distribution idea but IF there is good science behind the approach perhaps Santo Domingo is first?
Nice advantage to wait and see is we may learn what does not work.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the vaccine is only effective for a limited amount
of time which means people will have to receive another one sometime next
year/ once again every year for the rest of their lives? I can see this being a
huge problem in the future as most people don't even see their doctor/ dentist
more than once a year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong but the vaccine is only effective for a limited amount
of time which means people will have to receive another one sometime next
year/ once again every year for the rest of their lives? I can see this being a
huge problem in the future as most people don't even see their doctor/ dentist
more than once a year.
Nobody knows how long the vaccines will last. That cannot be known until that amount of time goes by.
Anything else is predicting the future.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Nobody knows how long the vaccines will last. That cannot be known until that amount of time goes by.
Anything else is predicting the future.
It would make sense that each person's response would be different depending on things like their overall health and weight.

Reactions: zoomzx11

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I’ve read 4 months. Meaning you need it every 3 months???????? 😳

Could be!!!! The whole world will regularly get vaccinated every 3 months until the end of time (which I'm increasingly hoping will be soon!).
This, in a world where many people don't have clean water or access to medical care, where 9 million people die annually from starvation, which DOES have a cure - FOOD.
This is not a viable plan in any sense of the word and 2021 is shaping up to be just as 'interesting' as 2020.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Could be!!!! The whole world will regularly get vaccinated every 3 months until the end of time (which I'm increasingly hoping will be soon!).
This, in a world where many people don't have clean water or access to medical care, where 9 million people die annually from starvation, which DOES have a cure - FOOD.
This is not a viable plan in any sense of the word and 2021 is shaping up to be just as 'interesting' as 2020.
I think travel will continue to be difficult with restrictions continuing and less flights and will be increasingly more expensive. There aren’t many options DR to and from Europe for instance. Madrid with Iberia, Paris Air France and Zurich Swiss Air is pretty much it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The vaccines will be good for about two years.
Booster shots might be required for some (just like flu).
There’s a high probability that just like Ebola, after vaccination (unlike Ebola) and isolation of detected cases, it will be back to sone normality soon after.

The speed of vaccine development from detection of pandemic virus to having several candidates with higher than 90% effectiveness is unprecedented.

The scientific community learned and advanced more with this virus than a whole decade before it.
Sputnik V is reporting a 95% effectiveness after the second doses were applied. And this is a very easy to transport and stable vaccine type.

Also the price point for manufacture and distribution is very low and affords all countries to purchase it.

I’m looking towards a more normal-likeness as it was before with all these great vaccine candidates.

Reactions: bob saunders

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
The vaccines will be good for about two years.
Booster shots might be required for some (just like flu).
There’s a high probability that just like Ebola, after vaccination (unlike Ebola) and isolation of detected cases, it will be back to sone normality soon after.

The speed of vaccine development from detection of pandemic virus to having several candidates with higher than 90% effectiveness is unprecedented.

The scientific community learned and advanced more with this virus than a whole decade before it.
Sputnik V is reporting a 95% effectiveness after the second doses were applied. And this is a very easy to transport and stable vaccine type.

Also the price point for manufacture and distribution is very low and affords all countries to purchase it.

I’m looking towards a more normal-likeness as it was before with all these great vaccine candidates.
Can you describe again how you predict the future will be regarding viruses and diseases in general?

Reactions: Garyexpat

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Can you describe again how you predict the future will be regarding viruses and diseases in general?

In general as in not including this COVID-19 event?

Somber...
We are not prepared to face a deadlier pandemic 😷 in the world.
Lots of preparedness needs to happen and education of masses by large.

The mortality rate of COVID-19 is low (given how a huge chunk of asymptomatic cases were not detected and added on the tally).

A deadlier virus in a pandemic would be catastrophic in our near future.

I just want to get Covid-19 out of the way and gain some normalcy into our lives or whatever is left of it at this point in time.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
In general as in not including this COVID-19 event?

Somber...
We are not prepared to face a deadlier pandemic 😷 in the world.
Lots of preparedness needs to happen and education of masses by large.

The mortality rate of COVID-19 is low (given how a huge chunk of asymptomatic cases were not detected and added on the tally).

A deadlier virus in a pandemic would be catastrophic in our near future.

I just want to get Covid-19 out of the way and gain some normalcy into our lives or whatever is left of it at this point in time.
Yeah in general to including Covid. I see traveling becoming much harder. Immigration was already getting harder globally and now add the health certification you may be needing to travel and finally it will be more expensive. In an earlier post you had some entertaining mad max type scenarios.

Reactions: Africaida

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Astra Zeneca is facing criticism that they did not run trials on older people. That and the mystery of why a half dose followed by a full dose works better than two full doses in the young people they did test. Looks like they need to do a "re-test" to get approval in the USA. I expect the DR will just go ahead regardless of this news.

As it turns out, a manufacturing error caused some people to get a half dose in error!. But that group showed higer immunity than the one with two full doses. .
An accident that may prove beneficial, but it certainly raises questions about Astra Zeneca and their quality control. Hmmm. It finally explains the reason some got only a half dose and that was not intentional.

Reactions: CristoRey
Status
Not open for further replies.