Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Proportionally less old people and fat people in DR.

Not rocket science.
I get that. And outdoor living maybe. But an older obese unhealthy American is then safer in the DR ? Surely its based primarily on the individual. What about the health care. Where do you prefer to get sick being in that demographic? Its total spin claiming the DR is safer than the US.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Because in Florida, a roofer while working fell of the roof and died, the cause of death, Covid 19. The same day in the DR a Dominican taxi driver crashed and died, the cause of death, car accident.
It seems if there is money in exaggerating then its exaggerated. If there is money in playing it down then thats what happens. Its the same virus in the US and the DR. Its equally dangerous to be in the US as in the DR.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
To my opinion it has to do more with the breakdown of age between the two populations.

USA is more populous after 50 and up.
DR is more populous below 50 and down.

Health indicators between the two are not incredibly far apart as per life expectancy, but since the USA has a larger older population, they also show more illnesses than DR per age group.

COVID-19 is not so easy for the older populations to overcome. Much less when there are secondary illnesses already being controlled by medications.

The mortality rate just tells us (imho) that at this point in time of our development, we’re losing far more of our elderly than the USA is.

50 plus is not too old, but they are facing more death due to Covid-19 atop their stressed 😫 lives and secondary illnesses.

Attachments

• D2A91530-8331-4823-96DC-B54012966610.jpeg
    D2A91530-8331-4823-96DC-B54012966610.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 109
  • A5439F23-64F2-4641-85CE-F0877491FFE6.jpeg
    A5439F23-64F2-4641-85CE-F0877491FFE6.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 3E467DBD-3BEF-46C1-AE43-6A0225032FE8.jpeg
    3E467DBD-3BEF-46C1-AE43-6A0225032FE8.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 6AAE42EC-C035-4C70-885E-4BCE87337767.jpeg
    6AAE42EC-C035-4C70-885E-4BCE87337767.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 106

Challenger007

Nov 2, 2020
Springfield, Illinois
7,000 is a lot of people and I think well beyond what is needed to make a firm conclusion.
I wonder how many of those had other comorbidities.
Ivermectin does cause joint pain, fever, headache and rapid heart beat so it may be tougher on older patients with arthritis and heart issues

It's all relative. Yes, this is not a lot, but it seems to me that if we are talking about the effectiveness of tests, then they should be carried out so that people from different regions who live in different climates participate in the study. After all, we cannot say that this drug will be as effective, for example, in Canada, where it is now very cold and the sunny day is short, which means that people are deficient in vitamin D. This is still a local study that is difficult to apply to everything. the world.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's all relative. Yes, this is not a lot, but it seems to me that if we are talking about the effectiveness of tests, then they should be carried out so that people from different regions who live in different climates participate in the study. After all, we cannot say that this drug will be as effective, for example, in Canada, where it is now very cold and the sunny day is short, which means that people are deficient in vitamin D. This is still a local study that is difficult to apply to everything. the world.
It is not all relative (Incest is relative)
No one was discussing using it for Canada. It is a treatment used here in DR.
Canada can treat people as they see fit and publish their results and then you can be happy ?
Cold weather people vs warm weather ? How about dark skin vs light skin. Or men vs women. Or tall vs short ?
Everyone trying to downplay what DR doctors have had success with by dragging red herrings over their results, is just blabber.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
How come there are less cases per capita than the USA or other countries ?

We are in a select zone here - relatively safe vis a vis the rest of the world

Maybe, maybe not.

I can't speak for the US, but in europe if you have symptoms ( or think you have symptoms ), it's a no brainer, you go and and get tested.
In the unlikely event you do have covid, you will a) be treated and b) continue to receive most of your salary/income.

Now think about it in the DR. A big chunk of the economy is informal, hence 0 benefits.
Even in the formal parts of the economy, you probably have a 50-50 chance of actually being compensated of you are obliged to take time off work---- assuming they don't replace you before you are home in bed.

Does anybody really think that fulano the motoconcho, who has 0 savings and has to pay for his bike monthly, food for his family daily, will take the risk of losing his income ? I can't see him going for a covid test.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
These informal economy workers are just the people who may benefit the most from a working vaccine. I hope they get one soon for all of our sakes.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Because in Florida, a roofer while working fell of the roof and died, the cause of death, Covid 19. The same day in the DR a Dominican taxi driver crashed and died, the cause of death, car accident.
You anti‘s need to come out with new punch lines ...these are getting boring...

Reactions: zoomzx11

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It is not all relative (Incest is relative)
No one was discussing using it for Canada. It is a treatment used here in DR.
Canada can treat people as they see fit and publish their results and then you can be happy ?
Cold weather people vs warm weather ? How about dark skin vs light skin. Or men vs women. Or tall vs short ?
Everyone trying to downplay what DR doctors have had success with by dragging red herrings over their results, is just blabber.
Maybe with new prez and corruption clean up people will start believing what s said in DR...oh ya it dominican you get rid and of corruption there will be no one left... :cool:

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Over the past month and a half that I am back in my campo, 4 people-- that I know of-- have died, reason of death being covid-19. The most recent being the father of a friend, yesterday, may he RIP.
Yes the 4 were old ( 60+ ), yada yada yada, we get it .
Still, 4 out of a population of 6k ( I guess, last available numbers were 2012, and we are not an attractive pole, to say the least ). Probably 3 k in the village and 3 k spread out around in the hills.
So 0.007% death rate, not of the total infected but of the total population .
Compare that to the DR population and we would be looking at 70k dead as opposed to the 3k official figures .

So perhaps my campo in the middle of nowhere is THE hotbed of covid 19 in the DR . .. what are the chances of that ? Lol.

Furthermore, and this is mainly stories from the 1st half of 2020, a couple of people have not been able to claim the bodies of their deceased loved ones. They were " processed" awfully fast for sanitary reasons, even though the cause of death was not covid-19. Yes, again, they were old folks,so yada yada yada, parents of people we know.

Do I believe DR official numbers ? Hell no.
Do I believe DR government believes their own official numbers ? Hell no.
Is it a cause of concern to me personally ? Nope, I ain't old, I ain't fat and I ain't diabetic and I was taught as a child to wash my hands regularly.

Reactions: aarhus

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Over the past month and a half that I am back in my campo, 4 people-- that I know of-- have died, reason of death being covid-19. The most recent being the father of a friend, yesterday, may he RIP.
Yes the 4 were old ( 60+ ), yada yada yada, we get it .
Still, 4 out of a population of 6k ( I guess, last available numbers were 2012, and we are not an attractive pole, to say the least ). Probably 3 k in the village and 3 k spread out around in the hills.
So 0.007% death rate, not of the total infected but of the total population .
Compare that to the DR population and we would be looking at 70k dead as opposed to the 3k official figures .

So perhaps my campo in the middle of nowhere is THE hotbed of covid 19 in the DR . .. what are the chances of that ? Lol.

Furthermore, and this is mainly stories from the 1st half of 2020, a couple of people have not been able to claim the bodies of their deceased loved ones. They were " processed" awfully fast for sanitary reasons, even though the cause of death was not covid-19. Yes, again, they were old folks,so yada yada yada, parents of people we know.

Do I believe DR official numbers ? Hell no.
Do I believe DR government believes their own official numbers ? Hell no.
Is it a cause of concern to me personally ? Nope, I ain't old, I ain't fat and I ain't diabetic and I was taught as a child to wash my hands regularly.
Sorry for the Loss of the people in your community.. Condolences to their Families

May I ask , how many people would normally die in that same span of time, in that same population # of 3000
. and how many others in addition to the 4 people who died of Covid during this specific period

I am not trying to be a smart arse .. .but I think when someone DIES these day , of ANY Illness ... COVID is automatically assumed ..
even if it has nothing to do with that person, especially someone OVER 60 ..

again, seriously not trying to be flip ... but its almost as IF LOSING A FAMILY MEMBER TO COVID ( they are deceased anyway) ,. makes it more FASHIONABLE
or another way of saying it politely, Gets more Sympathy for the family
and everyone who has lost a Loved one .. deserve Condolences and Sympathy.
Why would anyone deny them that ... So We just go along with it .

No one is going to DARE ask " but, but he was an alcoholic, he had high blood pressure, " , etc
it would be extremely RUDE , so we just go along with it ..

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Sorry for the Loss of the people in your community.. Condolences to their Families

May I ask , how many people would normally die in that same span of time, in that same population # of 3000
. and how many others in addition to the 4 people who died of Covid during this specific period

I am not trying to be a smart arse .. .but I think when someone DIES these day , of ANY Illness ... COVID is automatically assumed ..

again, seriously not trying to be flip ... but its almost as IF LOSING A FAMILY MEMBER TO COVID ( they are deceased anyway) ,. makes it more FASHIONABLE

No one is going to DARE ask " but, but he was an alcoholic, he had high blood pressure, " , etc

I think there is a flaw in your reasoning.

Imagine a person being shot in the chest 3 times, taken to hospital and treated. Sadly that person passes away 2 days later.
Autopsy reveals he had aids, 4 cancers and a liver the size of a football....... The cause of death is still gunshot wounds, not aids, nor cancer or whatnot, even if they could have killed him sooner rather than later, and even if those pathologies stopped his body from recovering from the gunshot wounds .

Reactions: chico bill

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think it is pretty clear now that if someone has Covid and they expire before getting better it is a safe assumption that Covid was a contributing factor if not the out right and direct cause. CV19 can be very tough on one'e entire system, from respiratory issues to organ problems to an out of control immune system. Trying to shunt blame for the death to a preexisting condition may only be part of the whole picture. Covid definitely had a part to play in that outcome. Ergo a person passed away when they did because they were Covid positive at that time and their body was sufficiently weakened while fighting that disease. Without Covid it might be unlikely that person would have expired at that time anyway.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

It’s been debunked many times ..

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I just came across this video while browsing YouTube and I'm shocked.
Are people actually required to wear facemasks on beaches?
It looks sooo ridiculous. I'm going there for the holidays and there is no way I'm rocking a facemask on a beach. Is this mandatory?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I just came across this video while browsing YouTube and I'm shocked.
Are people actually required to wear facemasks on beaches?
It looks sooo ridiculous. I'm going there for the holidays and there is no way I'm rocking a facemask on a beach. Is this mandatory?

No, it's not required, especially on the malecon. A lot of people do wear them outside, but not there. I would guess it's a 2 to 1 ratio of people wearing to not wearing outside of the beach itself. I never wear one outside and have only been bothered once by the police.

I got to the 2:09 mark and will watch the rest later. I noticed the vid is over 3 months old, that may have something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.