Cost of land in Santiago

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
My wife (who is Dominicana) and I are seriously in the market for a small piece of land to build a small house. The two neighborhoods we're interested in are: Los Jardines Metropolitano or Las Zurza.

We purchased a small tereno last year in Samana and have lawyers, engineers, and builders in the family but as we are just beginning to explore these areas in Santiago, we don't know what the cost of land there is.

Can anybody tell me the approximate range of the price to purchase one tarea (629 sq meters, I believe) in these 2 areas.
Prices are sometimes stated in pesos/meter sq and sometimes by other measures.
Any info or contact are much appreciated.
I find these forums on DR1 to be extremely helpful.

Thanks, Cocoleka

Nov 25, 2008
Los jardines at the moment is all commercial, restaurants, lawyer offices... theirs a lot of houses being sold; 450mt house is worth about $6-7.5 millon pesos. Its not house [20-35years old] but the location your purchasing.

Las Zurza is more residency area, houses run about 7-12 million

In both area empty lots can be counted on one hand

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FOr example I am selling a new(er) 3 BR 2 1/2 bath house on 340 meters of land for 6.1MM. There is one of those 40 year old houses for 4.1 million near here. Our whole property (for commercial use) was appraised at over 17 MM by a bank, and we turned down 20 MM last week...(850 mts, corner etc)

There are NO vacant lots, ie never been built on. There are some lots where the buildings have been razed for new construction. In La Zurza, an area that overhangs the Arroyo Nibaje(?) the lots are small. houses next to each others and expensive, full of overseas Dominicans come back to life. And it is expensive.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
i was going to post about the non-existence of lots.

The Jardines IS going commercial. There are only 7 families along our street and of the 7, only two live in dwelling with no commercial attachment. When we moved here, there were 22 families...and even the side streets are sprouting offices and shops and restaurants.

Good Luck

Hb

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
i was going to post about the non-existence of lots.

The Jardines IS going commercial. There are only 7 families along our street and of the 7, only two live in dwelling with no commercial attachment. When we moved here, there were 22 families...and even the side streets are sprouting offices and shops and restaurants.

Good Luck

Hb

Same thing happening in Villa Olga! The main avenue looks more like Calle del Sol than a residential one...

The last lot left for sale, I think was asking about the same as a house here. What's happening is that many single family homes are being razed to build multiple floor ones. The only people that don't sell to these developers are us the old residents, too attached to the Villa to move to someplace you know nobody around.

But things are changing too rapidly as of late and the trend is to ask as much as your soul feels will satisfy the loss and move on...

I can count old residents like us with my two hands, soon to be done with one and a lot of free fingers while at it.

I'm strongly thinking about using my genius and building that long ago promised home to myself, in our empty lot in los cerros de gurabo. But again, a home is looking too big for me at this point in time for the future. Where the heck do old farts like us live our golden (extra time) years?

Every time we make the trip to Casa de Campo, it feels more like work than rest at a resort. I know many will think I'm crazy, but it does feel like you're living in a hotel and not "home".

Buying land in Santiago is like pulling a perfectly healthy tooth out, that's w/o any pain numbing shot...

I think that the best thing to do for anybody is to rent for some time before you buy and get stuck someplace, which could turn into a nightmare later for your family.

As the poster indicated above, Jardines Metropolitanos is turning into a commercial sector more than not. Hardly a place you want to invest into a home for living a family style.

I can still recall the only commercial stores in Villa Olga! The Supermercado Familiar (or Fello's supermarket as we called it). The farmacia Villa Olga. The Colmado San Martin between Calle 2 and 3. The Colmado El Puntico in between called 10 and 11. Another mini market on Calle 11 going towards the Villa Los Hidalgos and the mini supermarket on calle 10 roundabout with Rincon Largo street. There were two more colmados one in calle 9(going towards rincon largo) and the other one briefly on calle 10.
That's the streets behind the Familiar Supermarket.

Today is almost impossible to count the biz in Villa Olga, they seem to pop up out of nowhere all the time!

Who could forget the "Verbenas" at the San Martin de Porres church!!!

All that nice family living is gone with the wind!

La Zurza has forever been identified as the place for returning Dominicans to settle. So much so that I can recall they nicknamed it "Dominicanyorkland"!!! Some of the early house designs seemed taken from an episode of the hillbillies...

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
Wow thanks for all the excellent feedback. After speaking with my wife and family we've concluded that these two areas (which she knows only by reputation and casual visits there over the years) may not be the best location for a famiy-oriented barrio (urbanizacion). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might still be a safe and convenient area in Santiago where lots may still be available. We do not want really to purchase a house only the lot, but might consider the house if it were to meet all our quirky requirements. Thanks for all your help We'll be back in Santiago in Dec.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Wow thanks for all the excellent feedback. After speaking with my wife and family we've concluded that these two areas (which she knows only by reputation and casual visits there over the years) may not be the best location for a famiy-oriented barrio (urbanizacion). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might still be a safe and convenient area in Santiago where lots may still be available. We do not want really to purchase a house only the lot, but might consider the house if it were to meet all our quirky requirements. Thanks for all your help We'll be back in Santiago in Dec.

Cerros de Gurabo...
Quintas de Rincon Largo...
Los Alamos...
La Espanola...
Reparto Monumental...

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
Pichardo, thanks for your feedback. I've always thought Cerros de Gurabo (behind Nacional, right?) was a GREAT area. Also, los Alamos which I forgot about is also really nice--but isn't it onthe outskirts of town?
I'm not familiar with the other areas by name but will start exploring the possibilities. Thanks again.

If anyone else has any overlooked areas to recommend, please chime in!

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

There is a big lot for sale in Reparto Universitario. close to (PUCMM) ...

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
Thanks... Can you tell me how he can find it? My brother in law says he'll pass by and see what he can find out. I'll post any relevant info here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
La Trinitaria is nice.
El Higuero (in Gurabo) is growing, but removed from the city center.
Los Pepines--yeah, I know....in the city but I think it will be more "gentrified" one of these days...there is a nice house on Dr. Moscoso for abut 8MM....needs some fixing.

But lots are scarce...at any of the more family oriented places. HOWEVER, do get into contact with Gutierrez, who has a couple of residential projects going up and these might fit your bill...you can PM me for contact info...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just out of curiosity, what are building lots going for in Camp David?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOT!! Robert, while I have a couple of friends up there, I would not recommend it. That is an area subject to landslides, quakes, and other incidents. It is impressive, for sure...but I would look to the south side of the valley if you want hills....
i can point you in a good direction, almost unknown to others---not kidding

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a guy with three lots on Cerro Alto, an upper middle class area off of Estrella Sadhala to the North of Cerros de Gurabo....The light by what used to be Colegio La Esperanza is the entryway up there...

HB

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
Thanks HB, we'll try and find it. We really want to find a small lot in a nice area in Santiago. Although my relatives have lived there all their lives, the opinions of this forum have a special value.
Please continue to suggest areas you feel to be good residential areas or even specific lots for sale. I will continue to post my progress. Thanks to all.