Cost of living in Dominican Republic?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
With all do respect but 200 dollars for your house. IT all depends where but if its in the city ina nice area or in of the the tourist areas you should be thinking more around triple or even 5 times thst housing budget just alone. Derfish i really don't want to see in which place u life paying 200 a month, i can only imagine

IMO the way of thinking goes wrong here. These are two different market segments, and different "rules" apply. We?ve always lived in a respected and good area, and never ever paid more than 10k pesos a month (200 USD) for 3 bedrooms. Those are not touristic areas, but not barrios in the bad sense either. We?ve had middle class neighbors who have careers.

The higher priced segment would be that targeted to expats/tourists, gated communities, tourist zones etc. I could be mistaken, but I believe that on those areas mostly the population is more expats/less locals...

If not for anything else, and due to the fact that I thankfully already speak fluent Spanish, for security reasons I would never live in a touristic zone in the DR. The areas we have lived in, have reportedly very low crime rates, as opposed to many touristic areas, which are in the news rather frequently, unfortunately. The important thing to note here is of course, that there are bad barrios, in which it?s unsafe to move around even during the day, and there are good barrios where people have more or less normal lives.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know how you could live in the DR on $1200. and be happy,not saying it isn't true,I just don't know how you do it. My monthly budget and expenses comes to $2500.,I keep track of every peso. My rent is $500. but I don't cook much so my restaurant/bar bill is quite high. I'm quite happy here overall.

It's all about how you live. I shopped local, I drank at the colmados and local bars, my big night out would be Hotel Coco or Ted's bar. I cooked in most nights, did my own laundry and cleaning, I had no car walking everywhere, I have a fair number of Dominican friends who I usually party with......I like to drink cheap rum. I was very, very happy during that time of my life. Not many people like to live like that.

.......then again, when I had a girlfriend, triple that $1200 :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Cost of life is quite complicated.
Cos there is budget and budget.
I budget my monthly costs, ie electricity, cooking gas, gas for SUV, water, shopping/eating, dog food, chicken feed (sic), horse food ( double sic )......
But I dont budget, SUV and insurance, motorbike, house, holidays abroad, clothes, inversor and batteries, home improvements, furniture..........

I like my campo and I live on a very, very low monthly budget. Say 1000€, for me, my wife, 5 dogs, 20+chickens and a horse ( grrrr).
It covers everything from "special" foods, eating out, househelp, help to MIL....... and I live very comftably, thank you very much. I even have 24 h water and luz !!! ( ref, inversor, cisterna, bomba, tinacoa......).

What I would say to people comimg to the dr is either you have a pension ( or some fixed income ) and so you have to plan everything carefuly, or you are a modern age hippie, 30+ years still to go before a pension, and then you have to have everything laid out, beford you move here.
Cos once your housing, transportation and luxurys are sorted out ( think swimming pool, holidays, furniture....) then you CAN live very cheaply.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
With all do respect but 200 dollars for your house. IT all depends where but if its in the city ina nice area or in of the the tourist areas you should be thinking more around triple or even 5 times thst housing budget just alone.
200 dollars for a house seems tight, but 200 dollars for a nice apartment in a good area is very possible. I pay 250 dollars for a large 3-bedroom apartment in a middle-class block, and I found it within the first few hours of my search by simply wandering down likely streets. Those with Dominican contacts might do even better.

May 29, 2006
My only restaurant bill is when I get a Pollo Carbon for 150 pesos..Rent is 6000 pesos for a 400 sq ft studio and mi esposa pays for most daily expenses with her home business. By the end of the year, I think my monthly expenses will be around 10,000 pesos a month. Hig?ey is much cheaper than other cities. I also don't eat out or drink much.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Why move here and count pesos , unless its job related. Come for a few months and return home. Staying in a hot brick apartment with no A/C and limited restaurant and disposable income is not living.

It is much different and more expensive coming here to live on your own when you know nothing about the Country than if you are living with a Domincan. It is a very steep and expensive learning curve living here! The weirdest extra expenses come up often! If you are on a limited income of under $1500 US I would never suggest anyone to move here.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
my wife and i live fine in the capital for $1500 a month. We live in Gazcue in a nice safe tower. Rent is $600 utilities about $100. She is a great cook so we dont go out to eat much. We shop at the MERCADOM so we great food at low cost. Of course that is not including our trips to las Terranas or Jarabacoa. Nor does it count any other entertainment we do in the city. We plan to stay here 2 mores years when she finishes dental school. My pensions come to a great more than $1500 ,but if we had to living here could be done for that much. Of course we would move out of the city. I only stay here for 8 months of the year because I like to visit my children and grandchildren from a previous marriage. I enjoy myself here but will be happy to back to the States.Its the little things that wear you down here. Since we live 2 miles from a beautiful beach its a great life back home.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It depends very much on where you live. La Romana for example - my Dominican assistant lives in the central part of the city - pays $10.500 pesos per month (about $240 USD/month at today's exchange rate). Three bedrooms, two bathrooms. No hot water. Decent neighborhood, but NOISY mostly because of motorcycle traffic in the street, and many mosquitos. No way to eliminate either of these. And, the electricity service is going bad. A year ago, it was 24/7 for the most part, very reliable. Now, frequent outages for no reason the corporacion can explain. No middle-class person from the U.S. could/would tolerate these living conditions.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Why move here and count pesos , unless its job related. Come for a few months and return home. Staying in a hot brick apartment with no A/C and limited restaurant and disposable income is not living.

I actually don't like AC, ceiling fan, stand fan and access to a pool is the way I go. I restaurant here in Canada every couple of weeks, same as in the DR. I live better on an equal amount money in the DR.

I live a very simple life and I really like that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I actually don't like AC, ceiling fan, stand fan and access to a pool is the way I go. I restaurant here in Canada every couple of weeks, same as in the DR. I live better on an equal amount money in the DR.

I live a very simple life and I really like that.

he thinks that he is the standard by which life is judged. if you don?t live like him, you are not living.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So many go to these Caribbean countries and must live like they do back home or they are not happy.

it is a little more complex. they go to places like the caribbean because they are nobody back home, and since their money goes a long way in places like the DR, they go to these places where they can buy a condo they could never afford back home, then go on website forums and tell people how great they live. then, one day someone finds them dead in their apartment, because they have no acquaintances except the people whom they pay for services.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
So many go to these Caribbean countries and must live like they do back home or they are not happy.

I picked a couple up at the Santiago airport a few weeks ago and as we passed by the McDonalds in Santiago she saw the KFC on the other side of the street and they started to argue about which one they wanted to stop at for lunch. I found it quite amusing! I usually promote the idea of stopping in maimon for Dominican style seafood.

Der Fish

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Even if one doesn't require counting of pesos it is still a smart idea to know what the general costs are so one can plan and prepare for the move. Initial expense can be quite high if you are buying furniture, a car, insurance.....etc. Many Dominicans move back here with their only income a pension from the USA. They live well. I have a Dominican American friend that has a federal government disability pension and he lives like a king here. He's good with money though, not everyone is.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
it is a little more complex. they go to places like the caribbean because they are nobody back home, and since their money goes a long way in places like the DR, they go to these places where they can buy a condo they could never afford back home, then go on website forums and tell people how great they live. then, one day someone finds them dead in their apartment, because they have no acquaintances except the people whom they pay for services.

Says the angry guy with a skin color hang up. Who said how great they live ? Who lives in a condo ? I am a happy go lucky guy and love A/C, golf and chicas. None of which are free. I don't like dominos or loitering around colmado's sitting on plastic chairs talking to moto concho drivers about Dah !!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Even if one doesn't require counting of pesos it is still a smart idea to know what the general costs are so one can plan and prepare for the move. Initial expense can be quite high if you are buying furniture, a car, insurance.....etc. Many Dominicans move back here with their only income a pension from the USA. They live well. I have a Dominican American friend that has a federal government disability pension and he lives like a king here. He's good with money though, not everyone is.

To each his own Bob, of course one must have a budget. However I don't think many people will be happy here on a tight budget. Especially if you don't have s job or a support structure in place.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

A bit short sighted, may I say.

Anyone who comes to the dr to a) live in an appartment, b) live in a city, is either here for work or very, very strange.
And if u live in a house, a real house, in the campo, AC is not a problem since it is not needed. This year was particulary hot, and I used the ceiling fans to sleep for the first time in years.

Restaurants, restaurants...... mmmmh. Its more like eating out rather than a special culinary treat. ( i do suppose it depends where one comes from, i guess ).

The real reason people come to the dr, i would say is economic reasons.
Where I come from, 1 million ? might just get you a 3 bedroom house and a plot of land.
For a third of that in the dr, i can live in a 700 m2 house on a 4000 m2 , piece of land....... well worth counting my pesos, i think.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Says the angry guy with a skin color hang up. Who said how great they live ? Who lives in a condo ? I am a happy go lucky guy and love A/C, golf and chicas. None of which are free. I don't like dominos or loitering around colmado's sitting on plastic chairs talking to moto concho drivers about Dah !!

well, it is time you take a shot at adulthood, and realize that not everyone likes what you like. i was born in a caribbean country, 17 degrees north of the equator. i was designed to live without ac. maybe you are from some arctic region, and you cannot live without air conditioning. a possible solution might be to haul your ass back to where you came from.

golf...no thanks. i prefer a spirited walk along the malecon. and, as for chasing browbeaten , downtrodden Haitian hos..i leave that to people like you.

i can understand that you must be bored as heck in the caribbean, where cross burnings are not really in vogue these days.