Cost of Living Santo Domingo Este

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
her time costs too. she could have been doing something else. maybe she already has her hands full as it is and adding diapers would mean adding more time to her schedule and thus the cost? you do not wash diaper in clean water, you have to use washing powder etc. that does not save the planet.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If you look at his budget they have full time help! So why not save the money and wash the diapers??? It ****es me off to see women who stay at home (not working moms) and using disposable diapers! What a waste. They are thrown in the landfill and most take a very long time to decompose, some parts don't.

So Africaida, the suggestion of cloth diapers was not directed at you. It was directed at a family living here where diapers are very expensive.

Point taken !
but still Agree with DV8.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Many items cook well in pressure cooker. Freeze afterwards.

How to Cook Dry Pinto Beans in One Hour Using a Pressure Cooker | eHow.com
Pressure Cooker - Chili Con Carne Recipe - Food.com - 262813
You can freeze in freezer boxes - leave to defrost for a couple of hours.
Jam - freezer jam can be made in pressure cooker quickly preserves vitamins compared with normal cooking. Also sauces etc. Pie fruit fillings.
24 Pressure Cooker Recipes: Tasty Collection : TipNut.com
If you are busy you can both save time and energy (gas ) if you are going to keep the fridge on anyway. Make 6 portions or so ; keep in fridge or freeze. Your reheat time is low and much less gas is used in cooking say 6-9 portions together than 3 separate batches.
Breadmakers vary - kill a watt is useful. A 2lb loaf is 90 pesos - flour in bulk much cheaper as you only need 1.2 - 1.5 lbs or so for 2 lb loaf.
Robotic cleaner should last 2 years and produce good results on tile floor.
You can use washing tongs for handling diapers. Once you have a soaking buckets etc. set up there's not much labor.

Yanandu.

Apr 13, 2011
Looking at the cloth diaper option - though with the kid and baby clothes, it seems like she is doing a wash every day. Plus, she helps with cooking and taking care of the baby in addition to all the normal cleaning every day. For the cost, the service lady has been very helpful, especially since I have to travel back to the US most of each month for work.
The car has been needed - but the maintenance costs on a used car are high here, they bumpy roads really waer down a car in many ways.
We have cooked a number of things with a pressure cooker, but also many things on the stove - very little in the oven.
I have thought about getting a freezer unit so we can buy more things in bulk and store it to be used when needed.
I also started a thread asking about Insurance - I will check that now to see what kind of responses have been coming in - because I agree, that will help with costs.

Apr 13, 2011
It is not looking like cloth diapers will be a good option for us - mostly due to time as it is much different than just washing clothes, the diapers have a lot more pre-cleaning. Perhaps if there was a cloth diaper service as many places in the US, but then gets rid of the cost savings in order to pay for the service.
Disposable diapers may seem like the "lazy" way out, but with our busy schedule, it is still the best option for us at this time.