Costambar Playa, Tropical Paradise...not

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Still ready to give the area a thumbs up but whats wrong with luz? I think I read a post 2 years of constant power outages here but I would have thought a tourist destination seeking tourist dollars would have fixed the problem by now. Yesterday 24 hours no luz. The half ass inverter backup at my place went down after 6 hours. All night no luz, no fan, no breeze, 90 degrees, my bedroom was a darn steam bath. I tried to sleep outside on a lounge chair which I havent done since a cub scout 40 + years ago...1 hour of sleep and 3 mosquito bites. Not why I came to the RD. Always at the ready for a go to a hotel downtown but kept thinking the power would suddenly come back but except for a typical Eden Norte 10 minute teaser at 2am, it didnt come back till next day. Will be looking for the rare place here with a generator. As I walk around the place I see so many nice homes for sale.. I guess i now know one of the reasons why.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in theory we are in the 24 hr power zone. generally it is fine but edenorte is still fixing some of the cables and they have not finished working in costambar yet. the latest blackouts are due to contratistas cleaning general area: they are cutting trees and removing rubbish from under the lines.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
check http://www.cirquitos.gob.do
your circuit appears to be ZFPP401
it's a class C circuit. dv8, perhaps you're in a subsection that's supposed to be an A circuit?

anyhow, the website at least indicates that about 8 hours per day are scheduled for outtages.
n6dsoz.jpg

the actual outtages vs scheduled are indicated in this graph. most recent data is for week before last.

2yjrgc0.jpg

The scheduled outtages are usually fairly accurate if you can determine your zone.
I know people that plan their daily activities (clothes washing, cooking, etc) based on these schedules.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check http://www.cirquitos.gob.do
your circuit appears to be ZFPP401
it's a class C circuit. dv8, perhaps you're in a subsection that's supposed to be an A circuit?(...)
The scheduled outtages are usually fairly accurate if you can determine your zone.
I know people that plan their daily activities (clothes washing, cooking, etc) based on these schedules.

yes, that was our circuit before. now a section where i live is connected to A circuit. not all of the costambar receives the same power. this is also what edenorte is working on.
back in the day the schedule was more or less correct.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Earlier this year, most of Costambar was switched to a 24 hour circuit and for quite a long while there were no power outages. Then, they started working on the buried cables near the golf course and we endured many full daylight hours without power. Then all was well again until the last few weeks when they have been cutting trees that obstruct the cables. However, that would not explain the other night without power. That must have been a major problem. I live in a condo with a backup power unit but we only run it to charge the inverter batteries and also to rechill the fridge. Still, the power is better now but less predictable. I still like Costambar better than the alternatives!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
You were right in your title. "Costambar PLAYA, tropical paradise".

Costambar the "village" is a cyclic calamity. It was the first "tourist" project in DR c:1978, intended to attract foreigners with a gated community while the bootstrap tourism projects sprouted around it. World and regional economics, politics and capital laundering interacted in a manner which produced cyclic booms and busts over the last 36 years.

With each boom the tourist projects sprouted in clockwise waves around the coast of the DR. Each successive boom brought more total benefit to the country, but successively shorter lifts to the older projects — Costambar, being the oldest, got the least. Feel lucky you're not in one of the bust periods such as when the Haitians squatted in the residences with their charcoal cooking fires.

I refused to live in Costambar during the 80s when she played the sybaritic role of today's Sosua/Cabarete. I much prefer the tranquil old lady she's now become.

So enjoy the tropical paradise at PLAYA Costambar. May I suggest medaillones de porc or wienerschnitzel under the seagrapes and almond trees at the Catamaran restaurant. I think the mushroom sauce is the best.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I still give this beach town a solid thumbs up. Its off season so I dont know how much of a difference that makes but it has a nice beach, not too crowded except for Sundays. Good beach bars, good rental prices, not an all inclusive type place, closer to bigger cities than other North coast beaches, less noisy than say Sosua, appears safer. Lack of stable electric power is a problem..chronic various excuses.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So enjoy the tropical paradise at PLAYA Costambar. May I suggest medaillones de porc or wienerschnitzel under the seagrapes and almond trees at the Catamaran restaurant. I think the mushroom sauce is the best.

catamaran is a mess but serves decent food. that's the only place on the beach we visit. the owner is a great guy too. and yes, i do not mind the fact his cats sit on chairs and eye my plate. we always share.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of the head contratistas working for ladronorte in costambar says the blackouts will continue next week. they are cutting down trees obstructing the lines and this will take some time :(

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
of the head contratistas working for ladronorte in costambar says the blackouts will continue next week. they are cutting down trees obstructing the lines and this will take some time :(

Ladronorte lol...if they say a week u know it will be at least a month. Power out today 10am, inverter about to poop out...sorry cant live like this in 90+ degree heat. Told the excellent German owner of my apartment I am leaving for a more expensive apt with a generator just down the road. I am here to enjoy and dont mind spending more if i have to. I did enjoy him screaming and yelling at ladronorte yesterday but they could care less how much business they lose their servants.

Maxie143

Jun 3, 2010
I signed in to also comment on our home away from home, blackouts and all. Quiet, nice rental condo with pool, great food, and relaxing beach. The only person who has ever given us a second glaring look was of French decent, but that is a whole other story. I even enjoy heading to the beach on Sundays and watching everyone have a blast. Once again, heading back in October and can't wait.