Cotui announces lockdown as of 2pm

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Bienvenido-Lazala-La-Voz-del-PRM-e1597412156987.jpeg
Bienvenido Lazala, Ñeñé / La Voz del PRM

Sanchez Ramirez has the fifth largest incidence of the Covid-19 virus per 100,000 inhabitants in the Dominican Republic. Cotuí has 754 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, as of the Coronavirus Epidemiological Bulletin #147 of 12 August 2020.

The Mayor of Cotui Bienvenido Lazala (Nene) ordered the shutdown of businesses at 2pm on Monday to Friday. Business are ordered to remain closed 24 hours on Saturday and Sunday. The measure starts on Friday, 14 August 2020.

Sánchez Ramírez is one of 15 provinces and the National District, where there are more than 1,000 confirmed Covid-19 cases reported. The northcentral province reported 1,147 confirmed cases as of 12 August 2020. But PCR testing is not readily available in the province, so the numbers of actual cases are expected to be much more. The restrictive measures seek to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 22, 2009
another one that is looking to get spanked by TSA
I've seen your position here a few times. I was wondering what is the thing to do with places like Nagua and Cotuí if you were síndico. Personally I would be leaning towards these stricter controls. I think many voters count on and trust in the leadership of their elected officials. I do agree it's a risky line to be walking however

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
The mayor has just taken a step ahead because of the spreading of the disease in his community.
The bulletins now bring more details so that everyone can see where the disease is spreading the most. In our reports, we are highlighting this.
In those provinces, stricter measures such as these are most likely to be coming.

Read about the provinces with the most incidence:

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Take note that these mayors -- Cotuí and Nagua -- are not likely to be acting in a void. As DR1 has reported, the Minister of Interior & Police is a former governor and senator of Maria Trinidad Sanchez (Nagua). These two mayors are just getting ahead of others where the measures are likely to be announced.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I know nothing about how the different authorities work with local government but the ministry probably is involved and it could be a sign of things to come nationwide.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This will just create mob scenes and long lines at supermarkets and other stores. Counterproductive and ineffective. They're grasping at straws.

Chasing hot spots with shut downs has failed in other locales.
Only effective route proven to work is general lock for everyone, hand washing, masks and no social gatherings.
The disease is so contagious that only a few infected people will start a flare up.
Will the DR get in line for the Russian vaccine?

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Only effective route proven to work is general lock for everyone, hand washing, masks and no social gatherings.
The disease is so contagious that only a few infected people will start a flare up.

The Prime Minister of Canada's wife had Covid-19 yet didn't transmit it to her husband or her multiple kids, while they were all quarantined together in their cottage. So how contagious is it, really?
I am aware this evidence is anecdotal but we've been given so much conflicting information and this crisis has been so politicized....
I also know a woman whose son had it and no-one else in the family got it.
Just saying.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Russian Vaccine,you better hope not.

Reactions: MarJD
Feb 7, 2007
I've seen your position here a few times. I was wondering what is the thing to do with places like Nagua and Cotuí if you were síndico. Personally I would be leaning towards these stricter controls. I think many voters count on and trust in the leadership of their elected officials. I do agree it's a risky line to be walking however

It's not up to Síndico to do that. Síndico can request Central government to implement special or additional measures in his city, but he cannot do it by himself (or via the city council). It's illegal and unconstitutional. Síndico is, via such act, placing himself above the constitution, above the law and above the central government.

Feb 7, 2007
Take note that these mayors -- Cotuí and Nagua -- are not likely to be acting in a void. As DR1 has reported, the Minister of Interior & Police is a former governor and senator of Maria Trinidad Sanchez (Nagua). These two mayors are just getting ahead of others where the measures are likely to be announced.

Well if such thing was to be implemented where I live by a local Síndico, I would file a motion immediately and bring him (the city council) to court.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The Prime Minister of Canada's wife had Covid-19 yet didn't transmit it to her husband or her multiple kids, while they were all quarantined together in their cottage. So how contagious is it, really?
I am aware this evidence is anecdotal but we've been given so much conflicting information and this crisis has been so politicized....
I also know a woman whose son had it and no-one else in the family got it.
Just saying.
How many millions dead all over the world and you question the contagiousness?
There is no conflict among the epidemilogists.
Listen to the doctors forget the news medial and politics. This is a health crisis not a political crisis.
good luck

Reactions: drstock