COVID Passport Discussion

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The battle lines are being drawn between states and between schools in states that are requiring students to be vaccinated before attending. The legal challenges are being prepared and may ultimately land at the Supreme Court. The basic difference between colleges/universities/restaurants/malls/stores etc., and airlines is two fold.

First there is an alternative to vaccination. Classes can be taken online, shopping can be done online, most everything in everyday life can be done online........one except is flying...........there is no virtual or online flying.

Second, as has been discussed, are the numerous constitutional issues presented. At least in the US, this will likely not ever be enforced..........thus

What appears to not be going forward in the US, nor should it, is the "vaccine" passport to fly. Other countries and certain airlines may impose a "vaccine "passport that is now actually being watered down and simply being referred to as a Covid certificate.......that includes vaccination, a negative test or recovery from Covid (likely implying some sort of immunity).

With few exceptions, a pure "vaccine" passport is never likely to fly............pun intended.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The US is almost back to normal,
Because they pretend that covid is over, or does not have any effect.
How it will play out over time will be seen.
As the virus spreads more infections will happen, individual cases of severity will differ.

Of course everyone in the world is tired of the situation, people want to work and have their lives.
The DR obviously will accept US citizens.
Arrivals from Brazil, Latin America, UK and EU will help the economy, hopefully covid will not surge in the DR.

Counties and Airlines will have their own requirements.
More vaccinations will reduce the spread of CV19.

The lack of control in the US does not seem to be a positive thing.
Even worse is the politicization of vaccinations, doubtful if this is beneficial for the DR with US arrivals.
Most countries in the world are still under strict travel restrictions, sucks for my life as well.

What's the nation's US progress on vaccinations?​

At least 167,733,972 people or 51% of the population have received at least one dose.

Overall, 135,087,319 people or 41% of the population have been fully vaccinated.
Playa may be proud of this???

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Canadas government is still debating about vaccination passports.
Canadian second doses are rapidly moving ahead.
Still no Canadian flights to the DR.
WS scheduled for August 6, see if it will happen.

EU flights to DR very few so far, with Iberia and Air France leading.

As of Tuesday at 4:42 pm CST, more than 24,169,346 doses of approved COVID-19 vaccines have been administered across Canada.​

As provinces across Canada begin their COVID-19 vaccination programs, we're tracking doses administered in every region of Canada. 306,949 new doses have been reported administered today.

In total, 27,762,112 doses of COVID-19 vaccines (including Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca) have been delivered to the provinces for administration. As of today, 87.1% of doses delivered to the provinces have been administered.

The Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines require two doses, a number of weeks apart, for full efficacy. Consequently, we report both the total number of doses administered, and the total number of Canadians who have been fully vaccinated. As of today, more than 22,007,819 Canadians have received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. 2,161,527 Canadians are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, having received both required doses.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No shirt, no shoes, no service.

Just add another item to the list.
Yes indeed and it appears our good mayor here in Santiago is one step a head of you. I won't be surprised if people start selling fake vax cards here very soon as there are many people concerned about this Chinese vaccine.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
One major difference between the CDC vaccination card and the DR one is that the DR one has a bar code on it. I wouldn't be surprised that, when scanned, your name will come up. Pretty hard to fake that.

Reactions: Michael DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Does anyone really believe that this will be for just one week? It will take at least two weeks alter before they know how effective this might be. They have never yet had a curfew or restrictions for only one week.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Does anyone really believe that this will be for just one week? It will take at least two weeks alter before they know how effective this might be. They have never yet had a curfew or restrictions for only one week.
I agree. I think it will be something closer towards a lockdown. In hindsight more hospital beds where required, tests at border and speeding up vaccination.

Reactions: cavok

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
It will happen every time when some country will put DR in the list of countries not recommended to travel to. This time it was Germany, now US issued Level 4 Alert today.

Every time it happens, Abinader freaks out like a bug is biting his butt and issues another dumb decree. Next time it will be "No Alcohol After Noon" or something like that.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
U.S. has had level 4 for a very long time. That is not new news at all.
But doesn’t it influence some travelers maybe even a large part of pontential travelers. Or would they never come here anyway?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
U.S. has had level 4 for a very long time. That is not new news at all.
Yes, but they update it time to time, last Covid info update on DR was today. But I think the worst news for them came from Germany, they were so proud that Germany removed DR from the list of non-safe countries less than a month ago, and now a few days ago Germany just put DR back to that list again.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Yes, but they update it time to time, last Covid info update on DR was today. But I think the worst news for them came from Germany, they were so proud that Germany removed DR from the list of non-safe countries less than a month ago, and now a few days ago Germany just put DR back to that list again.
That would have an impact not just on tourism from Germany but also from other European countries as there aren’t really that many direct flight options from Europe. Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid is about it. Not sure about the UK right now.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Canadas government is still debating about vaccination passports.
Canadian second doses are rapidly moving ahead.
Still no Canadian flights to the DR.
WS scheduled for August 6, see if it will happen.

EU flights to DR very few so far, with Iberia and Air France leading.

As of Tuesday at 4:42 pm CST, more than 24,169,346 doses of approved COVID-19 vaccines have been administered across Canada.​

As provinces across Canada begin their COVID-19 vaccination programs, we're tracking doses administered in every region of Canada. 306,949 new doses have been reported administered today.

In total, 27,762,112 doses of COVID-19 vaccines (including Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca) have been delivered to the provinces for administration. As of today, 87.1% of doses delivered to the provinces have been administered.

The Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines require two doses, a number of weeks apart, for full efficacy. Consequently, we report both the total number of doses administered, and the total number of Canadians who have been fully vaccinated. As of today, more than 22,007,819 Canadians have received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. 2,161,527 Canadians are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, having received both required doses.
"debate" isn't the right word as there is no public figure or organization in Canada openly opposing the covid pass.
Without opposition or opposing views, there is NO debate... just public discussions meant to slowly accustom everyone to the upcoming reality of covid passports.

In fact, Canada is just waiting for the majority of the population to get their second dose to then PUSH the digital Covid pass down their throats and make it mandatory for traveling. It's just a matter of time.

In Quebec, the govt has been emailing QR codes to every single vaccinated individual.
What for you ask? Most likely to force people to download said QR codes on their smartphones and prove their status in order to access public venues once enough people will have been fully vaccinated.

Also universities and colleges in Quebec will definitely require that proof for attending classes in the fall.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's only about 5% of the country vaccinated. The DR is doing better than that.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
That's only about 5% of the country vaccinated. The DR is doing better than that.

Dominican Republic Covid-19 vaccine rollout​

As of 01/06/2021Number of peoplePercentage of population
Partially vaccinated3,313,86130.6%
Fully vaccinated1,142,65510.5%

COVID-19 vaccination in Canada​

This report was last updated on May 28, 2021 with data up to and including May 22, 2021.
In Canada, 19,230,680 people (50.60% of the population) have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
An additional 2,092,200 people (5.51% of the population) have been partially vaccinated since our report last week.
Second vaccinations moving ahead rapidly.

COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic - CDC​

Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic

Key Information for Travelers to the Dominican Republic​

• Travelers should avoid all travel to the Dominican Republic.
  • Because of the current situation in the Dominican Republic even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to the Dominican Republic.
  • If you must travel to the Dominican Republic, get fully vaccinated before travel.
  • https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-dominican-republic

Summary​

Still current at:3 June 2021Updated:3 June 2021Latest update:
Addition of information on the removal of the requirement for travellers from the UK to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test on arrival in the Dominican Republic (‘Entry requirements’ page)

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Dominican Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.​

Biden administration announces plan to share first 25 million Covid-19 doses abroad​

(CNN)The Biden administration on Thursday announced a plan to share the first 25 million Covid-19 vaccine doses with the rest of the world and an overall framework of distributing at least 80 million doses by the end of June.
At least 75% of these donated vaccines will be shared with the global vaccination program called Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access, or COVAX, and 25% will be shared directly with countries in need, the White House said.
"We are sharing these doses not to secure favors or extract concessions. We are sharing these vaccines to save lives and to lead the world in bringing an end to the pandemic, with the power of our example and with our values," President Joe Biden said in a statement.
As part of the first round of 25 million doses being distributed, 19 million will be shared through COVAX, which is an initiative led by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, along with the World Health Organization and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations.

Approximately 6 million of those doses will be sent to South and Central America -- specifically to Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, Paraguay, Bolivia, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Haiti and other Caribbean Community countries, as well as the Dominican Republic.

It is obvious, the road to economic and tourism recovery will be a long one.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Seven EU countries just got a digital vaccine passport​

June 2, 2021 - MIT TECHNOLOGY REVIEW

The news: The European Union’s digital vaccine passport system went live in seven countries yesterday, ahead of a full launch for all 27 member states on July 1. The document, called a digital green certificate, shows whether someone has been fully vaccinated against covid-19, recovered from the virus, or tested negative within the last 72 hours. Travelers who can prove they fit one of these three criteria are not required to be tested or go into quarantine. The certificate is now being accepted in Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, and Poland.

How it works: The certificate comes in the form of a QR code, which can be either stored on a cell phone or printed out on paper. The data is not retained anywhere afterwards, the commission said, for security and privacy reasons.

Why it matters: As an early mover, the EU could help to lead the way for post-pandemic global travel. The bloc is in talks with the US about how to check the vaccination status of American visitors this summer. That is likely to concern ethicists and data privacy experts, who worry that vaccine passports can be used to further entrench inequity. (To read more about why, check out the full coverage of the issues from our Pandemic Technology Project team.)

Dead end? In any case, it currently seems unlikely that vaccine passports will become common for travel inside the US. Several states, including Alabama, Arizona, Florida, and Georgia, have banned them. New York’s Excelsior Pass, America’s first government-issued vaccine passport, has been downloaded more than one million times, but that represents just a small proportion of the 9 million people who’ve been vaccinated, and the vast majority of businesses aren’t using it yet.

Even early movers are ditching them. Israel was one of the first countries to roll out a vaccine passport. Its “green pass” was designed to allow access to restaurants and sporting events for those who could prove they were vaccinated. But as the country’s successful vaccination rollout has driven coronavirus numbers down into double figures, Israel this week scrapped the pass as it moves to open up fully for everyone.

Reactions: Michael DR

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Here’s what’s happening in my area of Canada.

My second Pfizer shot has been fast tracked from July 07th to June 12th. I have the option of mixing my vaccinations. My second one can be AstraZeneca. Some medical researchers believe mixing an MRNA vaccine with a virus based vaccine results in better efficacy for the virus including some of the variants. Nothing is known about the efficacy of all vaccines on the Delta variant now shutting down Britain. I’ll get another Pfizer shot.

On July 01st, our province will be open to anyone that has both vaccinations. Those with one or none will require testing and isolation on arrival. Proof of vaccinations is required.

Our health service is not providing vaccine passes. They will have a website where people can access their Covid inoculation records if they need them to fly, cruise, or enter foreign countries. I have hard copy proof of my first shot and will do the same for the second. I’ll tuck those records in my passport and present them to border agents as needed.

Two weeks after my second shot, I can travel into and out of the States without testing or isolation requirements to get to the DR. If the Canadian Covid concentration camp requirements are still in place when I return, there are a multitude of ways I can get around that requirement.

Trips to the DR from Canada are doable but you still have to jump through a few hoops to get there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Here’s what’s happening in my area of Canada.

My second Pfizer shot has been fast tracked from July 07th to June 12th. I have the option of mixing my vaccinations. My second one can be AstraZeneca. Some medical researchers believe mixing an MRNA vaccine with a virus based vaccine results in better efficacy for the virus including some of the variants. Nothing is known about the efficacy of all vaccines on the Delta variant now shutting down Britain. I’ll get another Pfizer shot.

On July 01st, our province will be open to anyone that has both vaccinations. Those with one or none will require testing and isolation on arrival. Proof of vaccinations is required.

Our health service is not providing vaccine passes. They will have a website where people can access their Covid inoculation records if they need them to fly, cruise, or enter foreign countries. I have hard copy proof of my first shot and will do the same for the second. I’ll tuck those records in my passport and present them to border agents as needed.

Two weeks after my second shot, I can travel into and out of the States without testing or isolation requirements to get to the DR. If the Canadian Covid concentration camp requirements are still in place when I return, there are a multitude of ways I can get around that requirement.

Trips to the DR from Canada are doable but you still have to jump through a few hoops to get there.
My mother in BC just got her second Pfizer, and one brother gets his second moderna today, other brother had the AstraZeneca and his second shot will be moderna.