Covid questions for Sosua and Cabarete area

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots going on these days so valid and accurate information is vitally important here is my list of current questions that I hope will be answered by those here who have already found the answers/solutions.

1) Covid Testing - what is the proceeeure to get a covid test. Who do you contact, where do you go to get the test done, how do you get the results, what does a test cost both with or without ARS insurance coverage? Are there any options where the testers come to your home and administer the test onsite?

2) Masks, where does one buy quality reusable masks. How much do these usually cosst? I know some pharmacies stock the disposable kind but these usually do not fit tightly on the face sand leave gaps. Playero sells the disposable kind at the cash registers but same problem, they don't fit well and are cheaply made so they don't last and can't be washed. You see lots of sometimes colourful masks that look like they are made of from some type of black neoprene spongy like material with a softer inner lining where are these coming from? Those who have found quality masks for sale please share where you have found them being offered. Anyone sewing their own for sale around here?A good mask needs to fit and seal well with no gaps around the cheeks or lips or nose. Unfortunately the non-n95 type do not seem to meet these requirements very often very often. The guys selling masks on the street corner may not be the best choice for a bunch of reasons but just out of curiosity, how much are they selling their masks for? Anyone bought one of these street masks? Are you happy with the purchase?

3) If you go to hospital or a doctor and test positive for or are determined to have CV19 what happens to you? Are you sent to and admitted to one of the govt covid hospitals more or less without any say in the matter. Are you sent home to isolate if you are not in dire straights, if you do need to be admitted to hospital are you shipped off in an ambulance on a desperate search for a hospital that can and will accept you without any real choice where that will be?

4) Anyone found a reputable website that is documenting what treatments are being offered here in the DR to knock down CV19 in the body before it makes you really sick. and how effective these drug treatments are. I know the DR is not really a bastion for focused scientific research but there has to be more sage informaion than just some doctor somewhere saying he is taking ivermectin. I suspect this country has given up on hydroxychloroquin by now and they can't get any remdesivir nor could they afford that drug so what is being used and is it working to some extent.

5) Anyone with a pickup truck ever consider starting up an medical oxygen tank delivery service. Full tanks are available in central Puerto Plata but getting them delivered can be a logistical and time consuming nightmare. If you can't breathe getting a tank is the single most important consideration you have in that moment and dealing with unreliable and noncommittal employees or outside delivery agencies doesn't help ease one's anxiety. For people with breathing difficulties, oxygen concentrators or oxygen generators do not seem to be available in this country and if they were you'd need to take out a second mortgage to buy one. So tanks seem to be the only real option for those who need supplimental oxygen and a reliable delivery service for these would be a god-send.

There seems to be a real need to support people with the supplies they need to weather this storm and their attempts to stay safe with masks and physical distancing. But it seems very few entrepreneurs have stepped up meet thee needs and make money too.

Eventually I am going to need some more masks and would really like to know where I can get good ones before I need to actually go buy them. Someday I may wish to be tested for Covid and would like to know how to go about getting that done as easily an quickly as possible before that time comes. I also would like to know if I do voluntarily get tested and am positive am I sentencing myself to an indeterminate stay in some random medical facility away from home perhaps against my will.

I'm sure some of the answers to these questions will be of use to others beside me, and I hope sufficient answers get posted to help many people get the quality supplies and treatment they need knowing beforehand what any particular foray into the Dominican economy will entail.

Tia.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
2) Masks, where does one buy quality reusable masks. How much do these usually cosst? I know some pharmacies stock the disposable kind but these usually do not fit tightly on the face sand leave gaps. Playero sells the disposable kind at the cash registers but same problem, they don't fit well and are cheaply made so they don't last and can't be washed. You see lots of sometimes colourful masks that look like they are made of from some type of black neoprene spongy like material with a softer inner lining where are these coming from? Those who have found quality masks for sale please share where you have found them being offered. Anyone sewing their own for sale around here?A good mask needs to fit and seal well with no gaps around the cheeks or lips or nose. Unfortunately the non-n95 type do not seem to meet these requirements very often very often. The guys selling masks on the street corner may not be the best choice for a bunch of reasons but just out of curiosity, how much are they selling their masks for? Anyone bought one of these street masks? Are you happy with the purchase?

You're asking locally, unfortunately I'm not replying locally, but thought if this would help anyway:

We use only masks that area clearly marked (K)N95. Back in March, when our eldest was required to bring a mask to school, we bought these cheapish masks from the hardware store, but ever since then, we have purchased nothing locally, all ordered from the US. We currently have white high-quality adjustable N95 masks, the kids have washable, a bit more expensive reusable masks with breathing valve and N95 disposable filter element inside on the way. Just my personal opinion, as I see some of the masks people are wearing, We have practically zero interest in anything sold/manufactured locally, everything is coming from the US... We might be wrong or right with this approach, hoping that it's the latter...

The reusable/washable masks with internal N95 element should last a longer time and be more comfortable to use, in particular in this hot climate...

This far, everything we have purchased (aside from those from the local hardware store), yes, we're very happy with the purchase... I cannot say exactly how well we are protected of course, hoping, again, that we're doing the right thing...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was hoping to locate a local supplier. I'm sure most of the locals aren't ordering online. And if they impose transit restrictions again getting devilries out of SD to the north coast may become problematic.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
eBay has plenty of N95 masks for sale if you can't find any locally. I use BM Cargo and can get them in a week.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I was hoping to locate a local supplier. I'm sure most of the locals aren't ordering online. And if they impose transit restrictions again getting devilries out of SD to the north coast may become problematic.

During all the weeks of the SOE we had packages coming via BMCargo, never any issues getting any deliveries. Delay of 1-2 days at most... Of course, it's a whole another story if they decide to lockdown the capital...

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Mask desk at rental car lot across from Playero on the one way out of the backside of Sosewer. N95s and shields and other stuff. 10 pack for $30US so not cheap but good product.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Mask desk at rental car lot across from Playero on the one way out of the backside of Sosewer. N95s and shields and other stuff. 10 pack for $30US so not cheap but good product.
Yes, I bought a pack of five N95 masks at this place a couple of weeks ago. I think I got him down to RD$160 each.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Where's this car rental lot. across from playero is the is the medical laboratory, the dentist and I believe that little credit union of a bank place, I don't recall seeing an official car rental business. At bit more precise location detail please. Next to the apartahotel El dauphin place or whatever its called? somewhere near the traffic light?or across from the old western union building? They have a table with masks on display that you might be able to see from the street?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We have an importer friend in Miami that we bought 4K surgical grade from. We have donated 3.5K so far. Last time we talked, he had 49K of the certified at US $1.90 each with 1,000. Per box min.. Shipping extra.

Pm if interested.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Lots going on these days so valid and accurate information is vitally important here is my list of current questions that I hope will be answered by those here who have already found the answers/solutions.

1) Covid Testing - what is the proceeeure to get a covid test. Who do you contact, where do you go to get the test done, how do you get the results, what does a test cost both with or without ARS insurance coverage? Are there any options where the testers come to your home and administer the test onsite?

3) If you go to hospital or a doctor and test positive for or are determined to have CV19 what happens to you? Are you sent to and admitted to one of the govt covid hospitals more or less without any say in the matter. Are you sent home to isolate if you are not in dire straights, if you do need to be admitted to hospital are you shipped off in an ambulance on a desperate search for a hospital that can and will accept you without any real choice where that will be?

4) Anyone found a reputable website that is documenting what treatments are being offered here in the DR to knock down CV19 in the body before it makes you really sick. and how effective these drug treatments are. I know the DR is not really a bastion for focused scientific research but there has to be more sage informaion than just some doctor somewhere saying he is taking ivermectin. I suspect this country has given up on hydroxychloroquin by now and they can't get any remdesivir nor could they afford that drug so what is being used and is it working to some extent.

5) Anyone with a pickup truck ever consider starting up an medical oxygen tank delivery service. Full tanks are available in central Puerto Plata but getting them delivered can be a logistical and time consuming nightmare. If you can't breathe getting a tank is the single most important consideration you have in that moment and dealing with unreliable and noncommittal employees or outside delivery agencies doesn't help ease one's anxiety. For people with breathing difficulties, oxygen concentrators or oxygen generators do not seem to be available in this country and if they were you'd need to take out a second mortgage to buy one. So tanks seem to be the only real option for those who need supplimental oxygen and a reliable delivery service for these would be a god-send.

There seems to be a real need to support people with the supplies they need to weather this storm and their attempts to stay safe with masks and physical distancing. But it seems very few entrepreneurs have stepped up meet thee needs and make money too.

Eventually I am going to need some more masks and would really like to know where I can get good ones before I need to actually go buy them. Someday I may wish to be tested for Covid and would like to know how to go about getting that done as easily an quickly as possible before that time comes. I also would like to know if I do voluntarily get tested and am positive am I sentencing myself to an indeterminate stay in some random medical facility away from home perhaps against my will.

I'm sure some of the answers to these questions will be of use to others beside me, and I hope sufficient answers get posted to help many people get the quality supplies and treatment they need knowing beforehand what any particular foray into the Dominican economy will entail.

Tia.
I was very surprised how difficult oxygen concentrators were to find and rent. We did get one eventually but the process was very difficult

Reactions: lifeisgreat

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Where's this car rental lot. across from playero is the is the medical laboratory, the dentist and I believe that little credit union of a bank place, I don't recall seeing an official car rental business. At bit more precise location detail please. Next to the apartahotel El dauphin place or whatever its called? somewhere near the traffic light?or across from the old western union building? They have a table with masks on display that you might be able to see from the street?
It's directly opposite the entrance of Playero. On the corner where the traffic lights are. It's on the left as you come up from the smaller Playero in town. On the right as you come from Cabarete. On the left as you come from Puerto Plata. I think that should be enough information!:giggle:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was very surprised how difficult oxygen concentrators were to find and rent. We did get one eventually but the process was very difficult

Did you find this in the DR or are you somewhere else? If in the DR where did you find this equipment to rent?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's directly opposite the entrance of Playero. On the corner where the traffic lights are. It's on the left as you come up from the smaller Playero in town. On the right as you come from Cabarete. On the left as you come from Puerto Plata. I think that should be enough information!:giggle:

The gravel patch that usually has a few jeepetas parked on it directly across from the old western union building? Is it a true buisness with a sign and a building for just a car lot with for rent signs in the windows of the vehicles?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The gravel patch that usually has a few jeepetas parked on it directly across from the old western union building? Is it a true buisness with a sign and a building for just a car lot with for rent signs in the windows of the vehicles?
Sounds about right. If you can't find it from the extremely detailed description that I gave earlier, I give up.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
7C903B01-6C49-4F0D-91FA-64FBAAE463F6.jpeg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sounds about right. If you can't find it from the extremely detailed description that I gave earlier, I give up.

Went looking today and found it right where you said it was and right where I thought it would be. Thx for taking the time to explain.

Reactions: drstock

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I can't believe I've never seen it(?).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I hadn't noticed it either. If drstock hadn't mentioned it I still wouldn't know it was there. The guy will haggle over pricing so don't be afraid to make a better deal for yourself.