Covid Testing For Return To Canada

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I am in somewhat urgent need of the help of the DR1 community.
Much , if not all the situation I find myself in is my own fault. I was negligent in my research prior to booking to return to LT.
Having said the above, my wife and I are now booked to return to LT after a 20 month absence.
Since booking I have learned that you need a COVID test prior to returning to Canada even though all people on the flight are double vaccinated.
The hotel we are staying at offers testing for $65 via a private lab. However , it is an antigen test which is not recognized by Canada.
The hotel is telling me to get the PCR test or other tests recognized by Canada we will have to drive one hour to Nagua. This is NOT an option for us.
We do not have a car there and have no desire to drive there. LT is one thing, but Nagua is a whole other story. It can be chaotic by my standards.
Our spanish is what I call "bar Spanish". "Dos mas cerveza por forvor" . Thus we are not heading off into Nagua to try and get a COVID test.
My question to the community is, can we get a Canada approved COVID test in LT ? My wife belongs to Everything LT on FB and on that group it sounds like a place called Sireny offers the Canada approved test.
Is anyone familiar with Sireny and if they offer the tests we need. If not Sireny, where else?
Below is a copy / paste from the Government of Canada website showing the tests that are recognized.

Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted.

Accepted types of molecular tests​

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If there is no PCR test facility in LT, then you indeed will have to find a way to get to the closest lab that provides that service.

Here is the contact information for Sireny . Hopefully they have a way to do it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some of the larger labs offer a "test at home" option where they come and collect the sample from you where you are staying. Of course this service costs more. See if you can work with your hotel and ask them to help find a workable solution to your situation. Being able to speak/understand Spanish on the phone will be essential. See if you can have someone check with the Lab Referencia office closest to you. Good luck.