Covid tests now needed to travel to Canada, USA and Spain

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
PCR-prueba-Wikimedia-Commons-1024x683.jpg

Canada is requesting PCR tests for travelers since 7 January. The USA is more flexible and accepts a PCR or an antigen test as of 26 January. Both request the tests be taken 72 hours before departure to Canada or the USA.

Now Spain has announced PCR tests carried out 72 hours before travel for those arriving from the Dominican Republic as of 1 February 2021. Children under 6 years are exempt from the test requirement.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Hotels & Restaurants announces that the first 100,000 antigen tests supplied by a South Korean firm have been distributed. The government purchased 400,000 of these so that tourists staying at resorts can test in time to take their flights to the US. Las Americas International says it has 50,000 tests for free testing of tourists at the Santo Domingo Airport, as reported in Diario Libre. The capital city terminal...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Harleysrock
Feb 7, 2007
Bueno, a big problem for Spaniards vacationing here or coming for vacation... PCRs taken 72 horus before arrival to Spain with results and all bells and whistles, good luck with that. And it's now also required for France. I am really wondering what Collado will do... Tourism will go down again. starting now.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Bueno, a big problem for Spaniards vacationing here or coming for vacation... PCRs taken 72 horus before arrival to Spain with results and all bells and whistles, good luck with that. And it's now also required for France. I am really wondering what Collado will do... Tourism will go down again. starting now.

Airlines from europe ( well spain, at least ) were already requiring a negative test to even let you on a flight to the DR.

Feb 7, 2007
Airlines from europe ( well spain, at least ) were already requiring a negative test to even let you on a flight to the DR.
Nope.
They were not.
There was no PCR requirement to fly to Spain (not there is) by Feb 1, and there is no requirement to to fly to DR

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Nope.
They were not.
There was no PCR requirement to fly to Spain (not there is) by Feb 1, and there is no requirement to to fly to DR

SIL was asked for a-less-than 3 day old negative covid test, just a few weeks ago ( sometime in January, the weekend Madrid was closed due to snow) travelling from europe via Madrid to SD on Iberia.
Apparently not a country requirement, but an airline policy.

Feb 7, 2007
SIL was asked for a-less-than 3 day old negative covid test, just a few weeks ago ( sometime in January, the weekend Madrid was closed due to snow) travelling from europe via Madrid to SD on Iberia.
Apparently not a country requirement, but an airline policy.
The PCR was required by Spain, not the DR. Ir was required to enter Spain. Transit passengers should not be required to doesn't PCR test of the continue onward journey. But again the airline may have a "policy" in case the health authority object the transit without PCR for a particular passenger without any reason. So again, this is a Spain's requirement (since November 2020) and not DR's. Btw I was also stuck in Madrid for 3 days because of snow on my way to DR on Evelop, fortunately I spent them in a hotel.

Reactions: CristoRey

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If the Govt here was on the ball they would set up a special testing site in each city with a major airport for tourists to go and get RT-PCR tested with printed results being provided within 48 hours. Easy in and easy out keeps the tourists happy and makes sure they can catch their flights.