Create tattoo Shop in DR

Aug 6, 2006
To each his own.

Without the makeup he is a ghoul. I suppose if you think ghouls are hot...
It is a matter of taste.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I have a bunch of Tattoos and they all have a meaning. I never walk in a shop and ask what's hot at the moment. or me it has to have a meaning. So will judge, I don't care. As for body mods I have those as well but unseen. When I met my In-Laws for the first time I had a long sleeve shirt on. After dinner my father in law said she told me you have body art work. He also said to me never hide who you are and welcome to the family. Most in the DR are put off by body art but the times are a changing.

I've never had a problem finding a job and know I wouldn't if went back to Canada.

I am not interested in working for places that would have a problem with it though. I'm certainly not a corporate type lol!

One of my jobs was my business where I had people's alarm codes, keys to their houses all year around took care of their cats/houses while they were gone for weeks at a time.

Can't always judge a book by its cover...

Aug 6, 2006
People have a perfect right to tattoo themselves as they wish.
I don't think that tattoos should be used to judge people, but I think if I were hiring someone, a jailhouse tattoo or a swastika or the some tattoo related to Aryan Nation, Mara Salvatrucha or the Klan would probably make me think very seriously about not hiring them.

If I were hiring someone to deal with the public on my behalf, facial tattoos would make a difference, I think.

No one needs to worry, since I have no one working for me.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Tattoo Payment

I am pretty sure there is another tattoo artist who is Dominican in Las Terrenas...

Well, one was killed:
Saman? al D?a - LAS TERRENAS ASESINAN PELUQUERO
There was the rumour that an outstanding payment for a tattoo led to the murder.

The suspect had been walking freely in town and it was just today that I read this:
A prisi?n presunto matador de peluquero en Las Terrenas - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

Obviously it was quite a struggle for the victim's parents to get the suspect behind bars.... :tired:

Fiscal?a apela decisi?n que liber? presuntos matadores de peluquero - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well, one was killed:
Saman? al D?a - LAS TERRENAS ASESINAN PELUQUERO
There was the rumour that an outstanding payment for a tattoo led to the murder.

The suspect had been walking freely in town and it was just today that I read this:
A prisi?n presunto matador de peluquero en Las Terrenas - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

Obviously it was quite a struggle for the victim's parents to get the suspect behind bars.... :tired:

Fiscal?a apela decisi?n que liber? presuntos matadores de peluquero - InfosDiario.com - Las Terrenas

donP

I had heard about the poor guy (la terrena' e' chiquitico), but I think I was told there was another one around el portillo (I could be wrong).

Lesson for the OP: Choose your customers very very carefully.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Afri to investigate

.... was told there was another one around el portillo (I could be wrong)

Hmm, not much passing trade out there, unless he gets customers from the hotel there, who of course would not make a business viable.

I'll ask whether somebody knows about a guy out there under a tree with some needles. :laugh:
Or, even better, I'll wait for your investigation... ;)

donP

May 29, 2006
I'm assuming that if you get a tattoo, you can't go swimming for about a week(and you're suppose to keep it out of the sun??). That limits tourists to getting one on the last couple days of their visit. Tattoos as an impulse buy are never a good idea..

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Hello,

My husband is Dominican tattooist in France (I'm french, sorry for my english :rolleyes:)
So we have the idea to open a tattoo shop in DR and offer other services in addition to tattoos.
He followed a hygiene training in France so it would be a shop with the european standard of hygiene
We believe that the best places would be punta cana or santo domingo ...
Generally you can make money if you have customers who want large color tattoos like sleeve tattoos or full back tattoos, which require multiple visits, sometimes weeks or months to finish it. Color tattoos don't look nice on black skin. There are very few white people here in DR and 99% of them don't want to look like W. Axl Rose. So what kind of customers you can have in DR? Expats? Most of them are 60 years old cheap pussy lovers living here off their social security. Or maybe a mother of 3 children who wants to cover her C-section with a tattoo? A cheap black prostitute who wants a small monochrome butterfly tattoo on her butt? An idiot from the barrio who wants a Mara Salvatrucha style tattoo, but he can pay only two thousand pesos for it? Are you sure you can make money on this in DR?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
earth to grngo ?you seem to think you have this place all figured out ,Iknow some black people who would love to hear you say that to their face and so would I , I didn't like you when you were with the beatles and I still don't .

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
What has he said? Colour tattoos don't look good on black skin, the pigment does not take. This is not an opinion it is a fact, and so what's the issue? At best you might get some bad pastel fade within a year colour in a black skin. Colour pigment does not take in black skin same as white does not take well in white skin.

Love it when alcohol brings out the best in people.

Last edited:

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Tatoos and dr dont mix. You may have a chance of tatooing eyebrows
Or the occasional hot momi with disposable income. The people who
Have money dont want the social stigma associated with the art. The tigere with money
May get some body art, so sticking to tigere hang
Outs (car wash, strip club) may steer you to a small oppurtunity. Even athletes get tats

So , a mobile business may be better.
Dominicans both black n white are fascinated by body art, certain skin tones look better with
Certain colors. Take the replies in stride. You can find your way.