Creating a water well on my properties

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
Hi
As you all know by now I am doing a lot of work on my respective properties

Does anyone have advice or experience on how to make a water well + prices for labor and equipment etc. Can you refer any contactors in the north coast area (luperon/Cabarete)?

thanks

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you are using a well drilling truck they will charge you a basic price plus so much per foot. Here in the area of Jarabacoa we had to go down approximately 120 feet and the price with pump installed it was around 70,000 pesos. That is a tubular well. If the water is located not too deep it might be better and cheaper to dig a well. I believe Zoomie has had a well done in PP. In the paginasAmarillas they have several companies from Santiago and San Francisco but none from PP. https://paginasamarillas.com.do/Searchpg.aspx?nombre=pozos&ciudad=puerto-plata

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
If you are using a well drilling truck they will charge you a basic price plus so much per foot. Here in the area of Jarabacoa we had to go down approximately 120 feet and the price with pump installed it was around 70,000 pesos. That is a tubular well. If the water is located not too deep it might be better and cheaper to dig a well. I believe Zoomie has had a well done in PP. In the paginasAmarillas they have several companies from Santiago and San Francisco but none from PP. https://paginasamarillas.com.do/Searchpg.aspx?nombre=pozos&ciudad=puerto-plata

Too close to the surface increases the odds of water contamination.

A drilled well is the best option, taking care of properly sitting the well with a drain inclination away from the center.

The deeper the well, the least smelliest the water being pumped out.

Best to go with a drilling company with that project, me 🤔 thinks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend just dug one....
The well man had a thing.... he predicted a 96% chance of getting water after searching with it.

Saves the fear of 'coming up dry'. !!

Reactions: thompstr

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
My friend just dug one....
The well man had a thing.... he predicted a 96% chance of getting water after searching with it.

Saves the fear of 'coming up dry'. !!
Not sure if it the same thing as Canada
But we call it witching a well
I can do it,find where you should dig and I tell you roughly how deep water is and how many water veins running into it
My grandfather taught me how when I was younger

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Dowsing or water witching is the phenomenon of using two Non Ferrous rods usually made from 1/4 - 5/16 diameter Aluminum or Brass/ Bronze rods 24" inches in length that have 6" 90 degree bends in them to find water well locations or water lines. Does it work? Not for everyone, but yes for most people. I own and have used a pair of bronze rods in my work for decades. BTW, I've also taken a lot of ribbing when I bring them out followed by a lot of "Wow!! Those really work"..

I would imagine that there are several video's on the subject on YouTube. I know there are numerous written articles on the subject that are quite informative. I mention this because I would check into doing it myself before hiring someone else to do it for me. Once you find and decide on the site, then call in a driller.. Unless you want to install a shallow 2" well point (up to 60ft.) yourself.. It's not overly difficult to do. Especially if you are located in an agricultural area..

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Dowsing or water witching is the phenomenon of using two Non Ferrous rods usually made from 1/4 - 5/16 diameter Aluminum or Brass/ Bronze rods 24" inches in length that have 6" 90 degree bends in them to find water well locations or water lines. Does it work? Not for everyone, but yes for most people. I own and have used a pair of bronze rods in my work for decades. BTW, I've also taken a lot of ribbing when I bring them out followed by a lot of "Wow!! Those really work"..

I would imagine that there are several video's on the subject on YouTube. I know there are numerous written articles on the subject that are quite informative. I mention this because I would check into doing it myself before hiring someone else to do it for me. Once you find and decide on the site, then call in a driller.. Unless you want to install a shallow 2" well point (up to 60ft.) yourself.. It's not overly difficult to do. Especially if you are located in an agricultural area..
When I was young around 12-15 years old my father had a person come over to our country place to search for a place for a well.
The person an old man (at that time for me being 15 years old) had a tree branch in a Y shape and found a water source. I tried his branch and it was unbelievable how much this branch pull on me in this water source. Note the artesian well never ran out of water to date 100 feet deep.

Reactions: thompstr

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
It was my pleasure and good luck. Should you have any questions water related, feel free to ask.. It's what I do..

Too close to the surface increases the odds of water contamination.

A drilled well is the best option, taking care of properly sitting the well with a drain inclination away from the center.

The deeper the well, the least smelliest the water being pumped out.

Best to go with a drilling company with that project, me 🤔 thinks.
Hi
What advice does anyone have regarding this question.

The lots i own are empty at present
I do need to drill for water, but if i put a pump there it will be stolen with doubt.
Is it possible to drill the hole and seal it without attaching a pump ( the pump will be purchased at a later date)???
Thank you

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Hi

I do need to drill for water, but if i put a pump there it will be stolen with doubt.
Is it possible to drill the hole and seal it without attaching a pump ( the pump will be purchased at a later date)???
Thank you

I had a property I only used for agriculture purposes alone. I had the well drilled and after some thinking, I built the pump housing and related piping right on the ground.

It was lined with cinder locks and a concrete rim for the top lid. The lid was secured with flat round style locks, to secure the locking mechanism itself. I also inserted two magnet driven bolts on each lid. Once the bolts got shifted into place, you could not force the lids open.

Only the first time I used the magnet driven bolts I had problems with it, as I didn’t clearly mark the points to place my handheld magnets on the lids. After I opened the lids, I marked the correct position for the magnetic bolts.

I didn’t do that before thinking they could figure out where to use magnets as well, but then it hit me! They were not bright enough to figure out the magnet driven mechanism unless told about it first hand.

On a caution note, if you use this magnet bolt mechanism, wait until the concrete rim is poured and dry, to take the measurements for the metal lids and magnet mechanism positions!
I had to refit the concrete to fit mine...

The rim must be pitched away from the inside perimeter. So it can drain properly and water will not leak inside the well pump. Just don’t put cement on the floor of it and just fill it with gravel for drainage.

You can do this without the magnet driven bolts and just a pair of locks if you want.

You can also drill the well and cap the pipe until you are ready to install a pump.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This is the type lock I used and the mechanism behind the magnetic latch like bolts for the lids

Attachments

• E995F7EE-9021-4618-8E81-4D72DEBCC135.jpeg
    E995F7EE-9021-4618-8E81-4D72DEBCC135.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 122
  • D2986D6F-A68D-4345-AF6B-53184AEEA399.jpeg
    D2986D6F-A68D-4345-AF6B-53184AEEA399.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 117

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I had a property I only used for agriculture purposes alone. I had the well drilled and after some thinking, I built the pump housing and related piping right on the ground.

It was lined with cinder locks and a concrete rim for the top lid. The lid was secured with flat round style locks, to secure the locking mechanism itself. I also inserted two magnet driven bolts on each lid. Once the bolts got shifted into place, you could not force the lids open.

Only the first time I used the magnet driven bolts I had problems with it, as I didn’t clearly mark the points to place my handheld magnets on the lids. After I opened the lids, I marked the correct position for the magnetic bolts.

I didn’t do that before thinking they could figure out where to use magnets as well, but then it hit me! They were not bright enough to figure out the magnet driven mechanism unless told about it first hand.

On a caution note, if you use this magnet bolt mechanism, wait until the concrete rim is poured and dry, to take the measurements for the metal lids and magnet mechanism positions!
I had to refit the concrete to fit mine...

The rim must be pitched away from the inside perimeter. So it can drain properly and water will not leak inside the well pump. Just don’t put cement on the floor of it and just fill it with gravel for drainage.

You can do this without the magnet driven bolts and just a pair of locks if you want.

You can also drill the well and cap the pipe until you are ready to install a pump.
I would go with a setup like that too if it were me. Something really sturdy with no lock that can be cut.

But drilling and capping the pipe and bringing the pump to the site when you need to use it is much simpler and the pump can't be taken if it's not there. Install the pump with a couple of threaded connectors and it will only take a minute to connect an disconnect.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Hi

Thank you
Yes you can drill well and put lines for water and pump in later

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I would go with a setup like that too if it were me. Something really sturdy with no lock that can be cut.

But drilling and capping the pipe and bringing the pump to the site when you need to use it is much simpler and the pump can't be taken if it's not there. Install the pump with a couple of threaded connectors and it will only take a minute to connect an disconnect.

Then later the issue will be priming the pipes in order for the pump to bring the water up, if the pump is removed each time he visits.

I did try it like that first, and after two burned pumps decided on the solution I just described here. Self priming pumps will work in certain instances, depending on how deep the well feed is located. Mine was deeeeeep....

But it can work!

The magnetic latch bolts were made of magnesium alloy. Very strong!
The bolts went deep into the concrete.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hi

Thank you
Wells that are deeper than 25' not in agricultural areas typically have no re-occurring issues with bacteria or chemical (nitrates) contamination once they are sanitized.. How do you sanitize them? Pour 5 gallons of bleach down the well. Let sit for 24 hrs, and pump the well off. Then take a sample in for analysis for confirmation.

Also, you may run into mineral issues such as iron and manganese. (Turns stuff red and tastes like crap). You would need to treat this by chlorine injection followed up by simple filtration (Not cartridges) to make the water usable. This cheap filter system would also insure your well water was free of bacteria no matter what the depth was. My buddy owns a set of condos in Sosua. Has a shallow well with this same water system and has zero issues with bacteria.

BTW, I don't sell water equipment residentially. I only do industrial systems, but I do help DR1 members resolve their water issues with information free of charge.

As far as your question, use a pitcher pump.. You know, an old style hand pump.. Then you take it with you..