credit card cloned

Feb 7, 2007
I have been useing cash only for 4 years without one cloneing incident.

If you'll find out how to clone it, let me know :) JK

I have never had problem with my card before... I used it for 2 years with never having incident. There are two possibilities, though, and I will make a criminal complaint at the fiscal tomorrow. I know for sure my card number was digit-entered after paying the bills at EdeEste and Humano (after they swipe the card they also enter the card into the system... strange, but they do it... I objected and they said it's the procedure)...this might be a basis for a criminal complaint... as I am connected to the local Press, making a Boo Boo out of this might get me some freebies from Humano/EdeEste... (I know, long shot... but... it costs nothing to try... and, I need some consolation because I have to have my new card mailed to my parent's address in Europe in "10 business days" and then they have to get it to me mailed via Miami).

I am 100% it works like this: you use international card. Cardnet/Visanet "hackers" sort through numbers. All cards' first 6 digits designate issuing bank. They do a DB query and sort out local banks. Then they pick up international banks' cards and sell them online. They go for about 10 dollars for low credit, up to 100 dollars for 100K US$ credit cards. The bugger most likely paid about 5-10 dollars for my card, and he spent all available money (10 euro) on that account on the "Touch Tone Project" verification transaction --- see into the website I posted, this Touch Tone Project is quite some stuff.

IS THERE SOMETHING LIKE A CLASS LAWSUIT POSSIBLE IN THE DR? I guess if we ALL who were compromised got together and filed a suit against CardNet/VisaNet.... ???? I mean, any lawyer would (in a real court of law, not a DR mockery) prove it's virtually impossible for the leaks to come from merchants' point-of-sale terminals (too many different merchants on too many occurances)... but the one point all have common is CARDNET...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
two threads

I had to chuckle when I was reading this thread along with the other one where Picardo was telling us about how all the stores are going to be using cards and cash is going to become obsolete and yadayada

so we can envision the picture when we are all forced to use cards so the tax man can get his money and then the cloners will get everyone's money.

Really.. if this is Cardnet system fraud... wow.. big stuff

Feb 7, 2007
If CARDNet does dot do anything about this, maybe Evertec will.

Evertec is a Puerto Rican company, owner of CardNet, and major regional payment processor. The article below names the President of the company and the local DR head. For my part, I will be writing to the company this coming week, and will point their attention to this issue, including linking to the articles here on the board.

El pa?s todav?a usa demasiado el efectivo - Hoy Digital

EVERTEC, Inc.

P.S. This parts sounds like a joke: "Ofrece soluciones a los bancos para reducir los niveles de fraudes en el sistema de tarjetas de cr?dito"

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect folks from the cc processor are stealing the info.

Didn't 8 from them get arrested a couple of years ago for the same thing?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
This will all be fixed

I forgot to add that in the new fiscal printers that are being rolled out by the government, there is also a section for the capture of credit card numbers.

From here on in, this will no longer be left in the hands of petty criminals who may capture the wrong numbers... say of tourists who may speak English and post on public forums. There will be strict controls in place so that money is only stolen from EU accounts where English is not the primary language, from tourists who are only passing through, and of those designated undesirables which the government wishes to ruin,

All the money captured by this device will go into the two party accounts *see other thread,

So the government wishes to assure tourists that it is monitoring the situation closely, just as it is monitoring the drug cartels, and swift action is under way.

Please bear with us we make these changes and meanwhile revert to the use of traveler-s checks, which can be purchased at American Express and Thomas Cook.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Fixed? It could be spreading.........:cheeky:

'Millions of British families who went on holiday to Spain this year could be victims of a credit card scam. It is thought a gang hacked into a Spanish company that processes card payments from retailers, restaurants and hotels. The criminals are understood to have stolen card details and then used them to buy goods online. The sting is believed to involve holidaymakers from across Europe. In Germany, a number of banks, including Barclays, are recalling and replacing more than 100,000 credit cards.'
Millions of British visitors to Spain are warned they could be victims of a credit card scam | Mail Online

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
My VISA card was cloned a few weeks ago, and used in the western U.S. (CA, NV, WY, and AZ). My bank told me a physical card was swiped, which means actual cards are created in the cloning process. These thieves aren't just making phone or Internet transactions. They wiped out my accounts and fortunately I was able to resolve the issues, but it took at least three business days. By the way, I'd only used my card at the Supermercado (in Sosua) and at the teller window at Banco Popular. I no longer use my card to purchase merchandise anywhere ... and have realized the benefits of a cash-only policy.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I no longer use my card to purchase merchandise anywhere ... and have realized the benefits of a cash-only policy.

This is the only way you can feel secure with a transaction. A lot of people feel they couldn't survive without a card...true and not true. There are some things that are card necessary and many things that are not. Plane reservations, car rentals, hotel room deposits you do need a card. But all the little things that can easilly be purchased with cash and are not, put you at an unnecessary risk. Carry more cash, it's not a big deal.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
the bank card

for those of you who are regular visitors here, you might consider opening just a savings account at BanReservas...and getting a plain debit card. Maybe the other banks have these cards, I do not know. But the card I have from BanReservas is just plain green, no Visa logo, and therefore of no use to anyone.

I just use it for purchases here since it is only on my peso account. It is just very convenient to have and is accepted everywhere in the country which has the veri machines, just punch in the pin.

I can check my balance daily on line and it saves me having to carry cash and worry about whether or not I can buy something.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Never thought it'd happen to us :)

I came up missing some money from a Visa debit account, turns out my wife's card has been cloned. The bank is in Costa Rica, I called them and they made me send them a mountain of paperwork including a formal denuncia and have now promised to begin their investigation and will return the $1750 within 60 days presuming we're on the level. $50 was charged in the US, immediately followed by multiple charges in Australia.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
I have never had a problem using ATM in DR. I have only used it in Sosua and Cabarete. I prefer to use cash (pesos). But I have had my card cloned three times in Florida. Once at some restaraunt in Miami, and the other two at the airport. It was the bar/restaraunt in terminal D. I know cause that's the only place I used it and it also happened to a friend at the same place. All times the credit card compnay found it, but not till they ran up 2000 to 3000 in less than 24 hours. Some of the charges were the very same at the very same time for the same anmounts at several gas stations. I think this shows that the people working the cash registers at some convenience stores are part of the deal because otherwise, I wouldn't have had 5 sets of multiple charges like $75.35 and $68.91.

And yes they usually start the charges about 2 months later.

I think it would be very hard to steal your debit info from an ATM, so this doesn't worry me too much.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Mountainannie

I do the same. I use Banco Santa Cruz and Banco Leon - both have US savings accounts and peso debit card accounts. Never get questioned using them anywhere and easy to transfer money from one to the other online.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hope this is not a really silly question but can you use the peso debit card at any machine or is it specifically usable at the machine owned by the bank at which you hold the account?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Not a silly question. I don't use my card at ATM machines, I use my card to pay at Playero, La Sirena, etc. In the States you can use a debit card at any ATM, but if it's not your own bank you get a service charge for each use. Don't know how it works here in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's the same - I think you get charged RD$30 for using one of the other bank machines.