credit cards in DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use three different credit cards in the DR, only because I am cheap and want to maximize cash back. None charge international fees. Pay in pesos, if they charge in dollars they will rip you off.
Sams club mastercharge: 5% cash back for gas, 3% restaurants, 3% travel
Capital one rewards card: 3% entertainment, 3% restaurants, 2%grocery
HSBC rewards card: 1 1/2% on everything else.

Also use the Charles Schwab bank card, no fees anywhere and good exchange rate. Thanks to the dr1er who recommended the Schwab card. It requires a brokerage account, both are free and easy to set up.
I was recommending Schwab on DR1. But it might have been someone you saw who who urged me to look at it. .

I set up my US Schwab account from the DR. Had it sent to a relative and then had it sent to me. Then I changed the address to one that can reach me in the DR. So it is possible, but convoluted to set up a Schwab account without being in the US.

Reactions: Luperon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am always amazed at the CC question here in RD

It is no different than other countries except that cards are not as ubiquitous.
Some places only take cash

But the larger businesses function as other countries do
including the TAP function on chip cards
supermarkets, many pharmacies.....especially in the larger metropolis areas....
easy access to credit cards

My dentist takes cards

Reactions: Caonabo

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How difficult was it for you to open your bank account and how long ago was it?
I opened my RDS and US$ accounts at banco Popular ten years ago. It wasn't too difficult, but I did need a reference from my UK bank and a Dominican reference too, for which I used the the agents who sold me my property. I didn't have Residency at the time and a passport was good enough. You also need a wedge of money! Of course, the process may well have changed since then.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I was recommending Schwab on DR1. But it might have been someone you saw who who urged me to look at it. .

I set up my US Schwab account from the DR. Had it sent to a relative and then had it sent to me. Then I changed the address to one that can reach me in the DR. So it is possible, but convoluted to set up a Schwab account without being in the US.
The Schwab Debit card always worked as advertised for me in RD. No currency exchange fees, fair exchange rates, all ATM fees refunded. They have pretty responsive customer service and I’ve never needed a quick replacement card but I see good reviews about it.

Reactions: windeguy
Sep 4, 2012

Not sure about the Schwab card but I've been able to receive CCs here in the DR from other companies. And of course, yes, I do own a Shcwab account and DC.

Reactions: windeguy