Crime in the DR

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
I am a 60 year old white American man who is going to stay with friends in a small village in northern DR. Somewhat south of Puerto Plata.

Basically I'm wondering, am I going to get killed?

I was in the DR for two weeks two and a half years ago. I really traveled on shoestring, taking the regular buses, getting rides on the back of motorcycles from guys who didn't know where we were going, staying in low cost youth hostels. I never felt in any way threatened.

I was shuttling between Santo Domingo and the Punta Cana area, getting lost on the streets of Santo Domingo late at night, etc. Everything seemed fine.

I am somewhat imposing looking 185 cm 90 kilo broad shoulders I work out a lot, however I'm not a giant bulked up weightlifter by any means.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
I've already told the mods that this guy Mr. Stein is a major troll from Facebook. Eventually they'll get it.

His first three threads should tell them everything they need to know

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
I've already told the mods that this guy Mr. Stein is a major troll from Facebook. Eventually they'll get it.

His first three threads should tell them everything they need to know

An internet troll is someone who makes intentionally inflammatory, rude, or upsetting statements online to elicit strong emotional responses in people or to steer the conversation off-topic.

Doesn't that sound like you Cowboy Andre14615? I'm just saying.

Reactions: DonDimi and Caonabo

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
Regarding crime, what about in a rural area, the kind of place where everyone probably knows everyone and tourists seldom venture. Shouldn't that be safer?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
1595560934339.png

Sep 22, 2009
I am a 60 year old white American man who is going to stay with friends in a small village in northern DR. Somewhat south of Puerto Plata.

I was in the DR for two weeks two and a half years ago. I really traveled on shoestring, taking the regular buses, getting rides on the back of motorcycles from guys who didn't know where we were going, staying in low cost youth hostels. I never felt in any way threatened.

I was shuttling between Santo Domingo and the Punta Cana area, getting lost on the streets of Santo Domingo late at night, etc. Everything seemed fine.

I am somewhat imposing looking 185 cm 90 kilo broad shoulders I work out a lot, however I'm not a giant bulked up weightlifter by any means.

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012
If you were here two years ago roaming around like you said, with no problems, what makes you think that NOW you'll get killed?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

If you are with genuine "friends" who aren't into nefarious
activities, you should be just fine. If these are people who
you've never really spent time with or some hot young piece
of ass you met on Tagged/ Feyboo then I suggest you be
careful.

Knowing some basic Spanish is an absolute must
when traveling outside the cities as most people you meet
will not speak any English in the rural areas. DR is a
beautiful country full of wonderful people but it does have
a very nasty underbelly however it is easy to avoid the pitfalls
simply by using a little common sense.