Cruise Ships

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
The cruise ship that passed the North coast was RCL Adventure of the Sea. It says the destination is now LaRomana, earlier it was Labadee. Current location is NE of Punta Cana, heading 163, speed 7.8 knots. No idea if there are passengers onboard or just crew. Quite amazing the number of cruise ships around Miami just idling along. There appears to be no dock space at any ports in Florida.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The cruise lines have been hit hard by the travel shut down and will not recover for years. I have never ever been a fan or understood the industry. Why would I want to travel (to nowhere) with a bunch of factory workers from Illinois, sharing a urine filled pool and eating massive amounts of over salted food. Oh and they have slot machines for the real brain numb.

I thought the same until I took one. We cruised from Rome through the Med, Sicily, Malta, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Naples, forget one or two more ports. Met a lot of people, enjoyed some of the entertainment, the food was great, excursions we did ourselves mostly. Mind you, it was a Celebrity Cruise Lines cruise, a little more upscale than most. I was surprised I liked the whole experience.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I saw 2 ships........one y'day ... the other 2-3 days ago

One very close y'day.... the other farther out
close one was big.... far out not so big

They swing by the oldest light house in the New World
Cabo Frances Viejo

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
One of the more popular cruises in Canada is the Vancouver to Alaska cruise during the summertime. You have the option of sailing from Vancouver and flying back from Alaska or doing the reverse. The site of icebergs, polar bears and other wildlife plus visits to frontier Alaska towns keep cruisers interested. Russian icebreaker class cruise ship are used for tours of the Canadian Arctic. They take place when the open ice season starts in the Arctic and the ships stop at remote towns in the high North. I’m not keen on cruises. I’ve only done a three day one around the Med. I love sailing so the Windjammer Caribbean cruises have a certain appeal. Small vessels, sail driven, random stops in ports, and you get to handle the sails. The smaller vessels make it easy to meet other passengers. A gently rolling, well rigged and trimmed ship, a tall glass of dark rum, a well tuned guitar, and the company of lovely wenches. A man couldn’t ask for anything better. :LOL::LOL:

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
Your life must really sucks. Sad to be you.
true love.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The cruise lines have been hit hard by the travel shut down and will not recover for years. I have never ever been a fan or understood the industry. Why would I want to travel (to nowhere) with a bunch of factory workers from Illinois, sharing a urine filled pool and eating massive amounts of over salted food. Oh and they have slot machines for the real brain numb.
I am in perfect agreement with your observations and opinions on cruises.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
On point. We have loads of cruise ships here in the Bahamas at the moment. We do have over 700 islands and cays, so this is also a great place to isolate.

And the private island owners here are having the time of their lives right now too.

No offense, but Bahamas is locked down just like everybody else. In fact, they have extended their lock down for another two weeks starting Monday. No one is entering including essential workers for infrastructure ( Desalination Plants) and no one leaves without Govenrment approval.. Resort World is one of my clients and has been trying to get me in to fix their SWRO systems on two different islands.. No go..

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well my last cruise was From La Romana to a few other Caribbean Islands, Italian ship. Food was ok, not salted at all, and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Ice cream was excellent, as was the beer and wine. Entertainment standard for cruise ships. Lots of beautiful Colombiana on board, as well as some beauties from Antigua. Didn't use the pool or overeat. I probably won't do another cruise either.

Reactions: alexw

habi

Oct 17, 2015
To maybe answer the OP's question. T
here are 3 cruise ships arriving at La Romana to bring 288 Dominicans back.
Like AlaninDR already did mention the Adventure of the Seas from Royal Caribbean, the Carnival Glory from Carnival and Disney Magic from Disney Cruise.

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
No offense, but Bahamas is locked down just like everybody else. In fact, they have extended their lock down for another two weeks starting Monday. No one is entering including essential workers for infrastructure ( Desalination Plants) and no one leaves without Govenrment approval.. Resort World is one of my clients and has been trying to get me in to fix their SWRO systems on two different islands.. No go..

Yes go... Most of you only get your information from the news and online. I know people personally that are entering and exiting the country via private jets, seaplanes, and yachts.

Whoever you’re getting you’re information from is out of the loop or just not giving you all the information.

And nowhere did I state that there was no lockdown in The Bahamas. Assumptions are bad.And reading comprehension is a great tool to use...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I read the Lyford Cay article.....

Only legal residents w/ houses and citizens are allowed to enter.... w/ proper approval
It also states the borders are closed otherwise

When I read your post - it seems to infer open borders and entry to anyone.

Which is correct - the article or you ?

One of us is confused

BTW, I have friends in Lyford..... they built that condominium bldg on the hill

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Yes go... Most of you only get your information from the news and online. I know people personally that are entering and exiting the country via private jets, seaplanes, and yachts.

Whoever you’re getting you’re information from is out of the loop or just not giving you all the information.

And nowhere did I state that there was no lockdown in The Bahamas. Assumptions are bad.And reading comprehension is a great tool to use...

It is what it is.. I work throughout the Bahamas and have for years.. The whom I get my information from is from the Ministers office in Nassau.. They are who you go to for approval right now to enter or leave the Bahamas.. Sorry to have rained on your parade, but Coronavirus hysteria is throughout the Bahamas as well.. Tropic Ocean air is not flying... Boats (that's how I usually travel) are not allowed, and private jets and planes?? well the Ministry just ... why don't you read for yourself.. April 1st.. Like I said.. It is what it is...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It is what it is.. I work throughout the Bahamas and have for years.. The whom I get my information from is from the Ministers office in Nassau.. They are who you go to for approval right now to enter or leave the Bahamas.. Sorry to have rained on your parade, but Coronavirus hysteria is throughout the Bahamas as well.. Tropic Ocean air is not flying... Boats (that's how I usually travel) are not allowed, and private jets and planes?? well the Ministry just ... why don't you read for yourself.. April 1st.. Like I said.. It is what it is...

To make this post DR related, I'll add that in April, permission was granted for documented Dominican workers on the island of Bimini who work for a company called OPAC to board and leave the Bahamas via private jet for Santo Domingo. This I believe was the last private jet allowed to leave the territory for repatriation purposes. All OPAC employees were checked for signs of COVID-19 by an official of the Minister of Health before being allowed to board. Once they arrived in Santo Domingo, they were all quarantined for an additional 7 days before being allowed to go home to their families.

The workers were working on the new "Virgin Voyages" Beach Club project on Bimini which is underwritten by Richard Branson.. The new property was supposed to open June 1st of this year.. Branson's new Virgin Cruise vessel made it's maiden voyage to the newly constructed Bimini Cruise ship dock in March and allowed by the Bahamian Government.. There is no specified date for the completion of this project or when the Dominican employees working for OPAC will be allowed to return.

Sep 22, 2009
To make this post DR related, I'll add that in April, permission was granted for documented Dominican workers on the island of Bimini who work for a company called OPAC to board and leave the Bahamas via private jet for Santo Domingo. This I believe was the last private jet allowed to leave the territory for repatriation purposes. All OPAC employees were checked for signs of COVID-19 by an official of the Minister of Health before being allowed to board. Once they arrived in Santo Domingo, they were all quarantined for an additional 7 days before being allowed to go home to their families.

The workers were working on the new "Virgin Voyages" Beach Club project on Bimini which is underwritten by Richard Branson.. The new property was supposed to open June 1st of this year.. Branson's new Virgin Cruise vessel made it's maiden voyage to the newly constructed Bimini Cruise ship dock in March and allowed by the Bahamian Government.. There is no specified date for the completion of this project or when the Dominican employees working for OPAC will be allowed to return.
Your caveat did not make the post about DR sir.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Relating to Dominican workers job status?....their return to home soil?....
The 7 day quarantine (not 14 as many refer to) ?

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Dolores posted some news related to the thread here.

And those people have a two week quarantine in Boca Chica.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Have two friends who work on cruise lines and they have been told to be ready to return to work in July to make ships ready to take passengers out in August.
Hopefully they won't book nervous Nancies complaining about "social distancing" on a cruise