Cubana residing in the DR

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
I have a friend that I would like to get a visitor's Visa. She lives in ther DR but still has her Cuban Passport. She came to the DR legally(her childs father was working in Cuba).Would she encounter the same bureacratic bull****?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a friend that I would like to get a visitor's Visa. She lives in ther DR but still has her Cuban Passport. She came to the DR legally(her childs father was working in Cuba).Would she encounter the same bureacratic bull****?

More info please,

you would like your friend to get a visitor visa to where?

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
I want to get a visitor's Visa for the U.S.
She claimes that it shouldnt be a problem for me to send an invitation letter.
I am extremely skeptical but I thought I would consult with you pros anyway.

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
I understand that she can apply but will she have a better chance to receive a visa because of her status or would she be worse off because of it.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Very small the chance to get it.

What kind of financial ties she has in either countries Dominican Rep. or Cuba to show that she will leave the USA ?

Thing are so complicated to go to the USA for Cuban that they have to complete an additional form. I remenber a few years back that they put the citizen of Midle East, Cuban, Russia, India, Vietnam and some others countries in a different interrogation room for visa processing that's what I saw here in Toronto. Not idea what kind of question they ask but believe me those citizens didnt seems happy.

Even if she have a Dominican passport just the fact that she born in Cuba to get a visa would be very hard because still she is living in a 3rd world country as well.

soon after she arrives to the US and ask for refuge for political reason then would be a big mess or declined and send back to DR for being the first country of choice after departarting of her home country.

You all know they kind of beef that USA and Cuba have....

I never heard about Cuban getting visa to visit the USA direct from Cuba or DR. Yes they can leave their country but not many give them visitors visa. I know some that came to Canada on a 6 six month visa to visit their grand kids.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You could send the invitation letter, but I really doubt the consulate will give her the visa, the only thing she has to do when she steps American Soil is to ask for assylum and done, never come back to the DR. In one year she could get the residency and the Consulate knows that therefore reducing the chances of granting a visitor visa for her.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Hello
It is EXTREMELY HARD for a cuban national to get a Non Immigrant Visa in your case Visitors Visa.The US Govt has made it a point NOT to issue Non Immigrant Visas to Nationals of country they consider to to sponsor terroism in this case Cuba.They Make this fact public.
If the Cuban National does convince The US Consulate in Santo Domingo that they have VERY STRONG TIES in The Dominican Republic such as a House,A good job,savings,children,savings,and a very good reason to visit the USA and the consulate approves the Visa..The Cuban National must then wait for special approvement from the State department that could take 4 to 12 weeks.I have seen cases of Cubans who were approved by the Consulate but then denied by the State department.
Its Ironic and stupid in my opinion but its easier for a Cuban to enter the USA by Mexico or by sea and claim Automatic asylum than it is for them to recieve a Non Immigrant.
US Authorities tend to be even more supicious of Developing country nationals living in other Developing nations trying to obtain Non immigrant visas for the USA.
I would suggest that unless this cuban is well established in the Dominican Republic and has strong ties there to save your money and energy for something else
Good Luck!

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
I have some experince with Cuban visit USA.
Very difficult, only 10% of the application is approved.

Only older Cuban with very close family in USA, will get a visa to USA.