Cuesta Libros in Punta Cana

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Cuesta Libros is probably the most important Dominicn bookstore with the one in Santo Domingo is actually the largest Spanish-language bookstore in the Caribbean (yes, bigger than any gookstore in neighboring Puerto Rico). Many years ago they expanded to Santiago and earlier this week they open in Punta Cana. It os in the Nacional supermarket.

Last year the store in Santiago received an addition of an area for expositions, authors signing, launching of new books by their authors, etc. That makes two Cuesta Libros store with such a room, as the store in Santo Domingo has one as well. Will the Punta Cana store get one too?

Is the new Cuesta Libros the largest bookstore in Punta Cana? Is it the only one?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Too bad Dominicans are allergic to books, and with the advent of short videos and TikTok, the new generation will consider books are for us, outdated older folks... :

A few years ago, I was reading The Brothers Karamazov while seating on a park bench in Higüey, and an old neighbor said, "School's out for the summer."

Another time, I was comfortably rocking back and forth in a rocking chair at a friend's house, and a couple came in for a visit. The man asked about the book, and when I proceeded to tell him, he quickly interrupted me and concluded, <<¡Oh! Un Código DaVinci cualquiera...>>

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Cuesta Libros is probably the most important Dominicn bookstore with the one in Santo Domingo is actually the largest Spanish-language bookstore in the Caribbean (yes, bigger than any gookstore in neighboring Puerto Rico). Many years ago they expanded to Santiago and earlier this week they open in Punta Cana. It os in the Nacional supermarket.

Last year the store in Santiago received an addition of an area for expositions, authors signing, launching of new books by their authors, etc. That makes two Cuesta Libros store with such a room, as the store in Santo Domingo has one as well. Will the Punta Cana store get one too?

Is the new Cuesta Libros the largest bookstore in Punta Cana? Is it the only one?
What a surprise. Odd..didn’t think Dominicans had any interest in books. Never have yet seen a dominican with a book. Hope times might be changing?

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita

Where exactly is Cuesta Libros in PC?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What a surprise. Odd..didn’t think Dominicans had any interest in books. Never have yet seen a dominican with a book. Hope times might be changing?
Dominicans are a lot of people. Don't hold your breathe that reading is a common practice, I doubt people read even traffic signs, so much less books. Keep in mind that 1% equals to 110,000 Dominicans more or less. That's more than enough to support a bookstore. Those Dominicans that do have an interest in books are more than 1%.

Reactions: Nadie21

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Dominicans are a lot of people. Don't hold your breathe that reading is a common practice, I doubt people read even traffic signs, so much less books. Keep in mind that 1% equals to 110,000 Dominicans more or less. That's more than enough to support a bookstore. Those Dominicans that do have an interest in books are more than 1%.
I really hope it remains open and is inspirational for others to want to walk in.

Reactions: Kipling333

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am hoping for the same thing but I regret to say that I have never seen Cuesta Libros very busy in 27 de Febrero . It is a brave move by Cuesta because a vast majority of books are in Spanish and it seems, based on my irregular visits, that most shoppers in Nacional are Americans .

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Too bad Dominicans are allergic to books, and with the advent of short videos and TikTok, the new generation will consider books are for us, outdated older folks... :

A few years ago, I was reading The Brothers Karamazov while seating on a park bench in Higüey, and an old neighbor said, "School's out for the summer."

Another time, I was comfortably rocking back and forth in a rocking chair at a friend's house, and a couple came in for a visit. The man asked about the book, and when I proceeded to tell him, he quickly interrupted me and concluded, <<¡Oh! Un Código DaVinci cualquiera...>>
There was movie based loosely on this book about the Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, Clair Bloom and William Shatner.
Yul created 'bald is beautiful'.
I vaguely remember the movie.

Reactions: Lucifer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They can read the price of a new iPhone from 100 yards away however

Reactions: Nadie21

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
In many cities around the world ,commuters are seen reading a book on the train or bus but here I have yet to see anyone read a novel either in paperback form or on a Kindle. How can we teach Dominicans about the great enjoyment that is found in reading a book ?? They are missing out on cheap fun .
Start early.
The love of reading/books must be instilled in early childhood. (Much like just about everything else.)
Education.
Education.
Education.
Are there any public libraries in the country?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Start early.
The love of reading/books must be instilled in early childhood. (Much like just about everything else.)
Education.
Education.
Education.
Are there any public libraries in the country?
Yes, several m nationwide. None is bigger than the Pedro Henríquez Ureña National Library in Santo Domingo (on the same spot where Trujillo’s house used to be, in fact the fence is from that time). While that is the largest library in the DR, can’t say if it’s the largest one in the Caribbean or the largest Spanish-language library in the Caribbean. That is very unlike Cuesta Libros in SD which is the largest Spanish language bookstore in the Caribbean. Even when Border’s used to exist and they were in PR, Cuesta Libros was bigger as far a Spanish-language bookstores go. The funny part is that even when Border’s used to exist in Puerto Rico, there were Puerto Rican authors invited at Cuesta Libro and they were always impressed with the store since then there was nothing like it in PR (and probably that is still the case.)

The one thing Pedro Henríquez Ureña National Library has that Cuesta Libros doesn’t have (and any other public and private library in the DR) is a copy of everybook published by a Dominican and descendants of Dominicans, within the country and abroad, and in any language it exist. Something similar happens with previous and current Dominican magazines too.

They also have the most extensive amount of old newspapers still in publication and that no longer is printed in the DR. It is increasing daily as they add every Dominican newspaper printed on a daily basis.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Pedro Henríquez Ureña National Library is a pretty huge library. I've never been inside but drove by once and was surprised by the size.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The largest library in the DR but you can't take a book out? And you can only borrow it for 10 to 15 minutes?

clock.svg

Horario de prestación​

De 10 a 15 minutos.
cost.svg

Costo​

Gratis
calendar.svg

Tiempo de realización​

De 10 a 15 minutos.

Oh, well, Dominicans are allergic to reading books, anyway.
Besides, it's best if they don't leave the premises, as the borrower will most likely sell the book as soon as he walks out.