Cultural question related to social status

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The UMC and UC look down on their fellow Dominicans with great disdain...even if they happen to even look at any of them.

It is despicable to me.
Why is it despicable ? Look how they live and act. They deserve disdain.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
go into any poor apartment complex in the U.S and the parking lot is filled with shiny late model cars. Most of them bought used after a lease has been turned. Priorities!!! same here on the island. flash and bling is important to the lower class.
Whats wrong with buying after a lease return ? I have done it a couple of times, offers great value.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hahaha
no wonder I don't see this

Bought an 'off lease' last year........
40 mos later - 4300 miles

NYC - lots of deals like that
Unbelievable Feb/19 to now... have 8,000 miles

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah and there is also another odd social dynamic that comes out between different social classes here a rich person will never speak to a poor person, I may get scolded for saying this but I understand it and here's why ( although they should give basic respect to everyone ) For one there would be nothing to talk about the personalities and experiences have so far deviated from one another it would be awkward for both and Dominican, in general, are very honest about their emotions and "let it out" so to speak, second is the concept in Dominican culture in every interaction there is a winner and loser, the person with no money has a low risk of losing anything out of the conversation or interaction while the rich person could get robbed, begged at, have someone follow them for 10 mins pretending to be nice. Using my birth country again for reference ( Canada ) this does not happen where I grew up, it would be shameful to ever deploy such a tactic BUT the biggest thing is Canadian culture is largely conscious on keeping the peace and being a good ol' chap although a conversation between people of different social classes do not occur that much when they do there is common ground and common values that allow them to talk on those points and relate to one another and no automatic assumption someone is trying to take resources from me, while Dominican culture is very focused on the family but not their community there is a sense of us and them here. Some people may argue that point but I find the community thing here is very superficial as there are no social programs and lots of corruption in all sectors and constant watchers in the barrios and common locations waiting for an opportunity to gain something but also more subtle things like caring for the environment, noise, garbage, and communal safety all make up what we call a community.
mY WIFE SPEAK
Yeah and there is also another odd social dynamic that comes out between different social classes here a rich person will never speak to a poor person, I may get scolded for saying this but I understand it and here's why ( although they should give basic respect to everyone ) For one there would be nothing to talk about the personalities and experiences have so far deviated from one another it would be awkward for both and Dominican, in general, are very honest about their emotions and "let it out" so to speak, second is the concept in Dominican culture in every interaction there is a winner and loser, the person with no money has a low risk of losing anything out of the conversation or interaction while the rich person could get robbed, begged at, have someone follow them for 10 mins pretending to be nice. Using my birth country again for reference ( Canada ) this does not happen where I grew up, it would be shameful to ever deploy such a tactic BUT the biggest thing is Canadian culture is largely conscious on keeping the peace and being a good ol' chap although a conversation between people of different social classes do not occur that much when they do there is common ground and common values that allow them to talk on those points and relate to one another and no automatic assumption someone is trying to take resources from me, while Dominican culture is very focused on the family but not their community there is a sense of us and them here. Some people may argue that point but I find the community thing here is very superficial as there are no social programs and lots of corruption in all sectors and constant watchers in the barrios and common locations waiting for an opportunity to gain something but also more subtle things like caring for the environment, noise, garbage, and communal safety all make up what we call a community.
Trust only immediate family, and trust even them with money. My MIL is extremely honest and I would trust her with money or any of my possessions, my Brother-in-law I trust him with my tools as I know he won't abuse them nor lend them to anyone else. I am not sure what you mean by no social plans. There is the bono plan for poor people, there is subsidized medicine through the government pharmacies, there is public school food program, such as it is. Here is Jarabacoa there are organized soccer for both boys and girls, baseball with sponsored teams...etc.

Reactions: arete92

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I know many Dominicans who could care less about social standing, etc... They work hard, buy what they can afford and put away for tomorrow. Then there is the other side. Spend/borrow every last dime to impress whomever. Their mindset is on today only not the future. This does happen in any culture.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This nouveau riche or wannabe mentality exists everyw You'll also find Dominicans across all the classes who don't feel the need to behave like this.
We’re the polar opposite. When we go to DR, all our jewelry goes into safe deposit box, and we certainly don’t dress to impress in the campo. 🤣

I think my husband’s brothers are dismayed by him sometimes, they’re all much more formally dressed in long pants and long sleeved shirts when they come to our house...he’s in shorts and tank tops. And flip flops. 😬

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I blame it on the Internet. There is a rich Chinese family that buys expensive toys like electric cars for their spoiled brat (the little bastard) of a son. Then the kids here see that and grow up as the OP described. Now all of you now why.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We’re the polar opposite. When we go to DR, all our jewelry goes into safe deposit box, and we certainly don’t dress to impress in the campo. 🤣

I think my husband’s brothers are dismayed by him sometimes, they’re all much more formally dressed in long pants and long sleeved shirts when they come to our house...he’s in shorts and tank tops. And flip flops. 😬
Same here, some of Mr C's acquaintances ask him why he doesn't drive a better car now he can afford it.

Reactions: keepcoming
Jan 9, 2004
Some may do so but most don't . Most of my wife's life-long friends were from the UMC, MC and even rich and she was just the daughter of the cook in an UMC house. She has been friends with these people for 50 plus years. My wife, by Dominican standards is now UMC and she isn't pretentious at all. She is very respectful to even beggars.

Perhaps because she understands something that most of those born into wealth were never taught.

Treat people you meet on the way up that are beneath you socially with the respect you give any person...............because you could possibly meet and/or need them......on the way back down.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Another reason I like him!

Reactions: AlterEgo

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
I blame it on the Internet. There is a rich Chinese family that buys expensive toys like electric cars for their spoiled brat (the little bastard) of a son. Then the kids here see that and grow up as the OP described. Now all of you now why.
I think I know a few youtube channels like this haha. potentially, although I think it's more or less family members in friend in different countries posing in front of strangers super-cars.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
This type of “fronting” used to bother me a lot. The Dominicans that put on a big show and want to appear rich with their knock off, rented, fake stuff.

It doesn’t bother me much at all anymore.
However, a dynamic that still gets to me from when I lived there or visit now, is seeing nannies treated badly and paraded for status. So I’ve gotten over the ridiculous materialistic showcase, but not when that showcase involves human beings.

If I remember correctly, the families that wanted to “front” would make their nannies wear scrubs, talk down to her, and ignore their own kids the whole time. Whereas most actual UC families wouldn’t do this and would treat their nannies with respect.

Reactions: colmcb

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think I know a few youtube channels like this haha. potentially, although I think it's more or less family members in friend in different countries posing in front of strangers super-cars.
Having lived in America, Europe, Asia
and the DR I can tell you with the advent of social media....
Its normal.

Reactions: Auryn