cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes -
They need to concentrate their efforts there..... where it does the most good

The 1pm curfew idea (above) is b/c of the hospital congestion in greater SD
Not the whole country
Exactly, The rest of the country shouldn't have to suffer because of a hospital shortage in SD. Maybe if there weren't so many tourists flying into SD without a negative Covid test they wouldn't have this problem?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What children, what education, what future, man, what are you talking about? After these children spend so much time in the sun and in their crappy houses without a/c, they already have some kind of porridge instead of the brain in their heads. Education won't help them. There's no future for them. Anyway, we go off topic here.

I agree on this one. :cool:
I beg to differ. We have an entire grade one class and half a class of pre-primary that have learned to read over this covid period ( around 45 kids 5 and 6 years old) Air conditioning doesn't make your brain function any better. They should certainly concentrate their vaccination efforts in the Santo Domingo area.

Aug 21, 2007
They will not implement a new curfew. The children are to return to school next week.

Although I respect the moving target that involves everything here in the DR, I serious doubt that the rumor is true.

Reactions: aarhus

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
[/QUOTE]
Yes -
They need to concentrate their efforts there..... where it does the most good

The 1pm curfew idea (above) is b/c of the hospital congestion in greater SD
Not the whole country

Exactly... It was just said that in the Province of Puerto Plata the positivity rate is low, and I have only heard bad news of the capital.... Last spring, when there was a spike in POP, the had a roadblock in the tunnel in Altamira and another in Playa Dorada to close POP, why don't they now just close the capital?? I'm not actually promoting closing the capital, but something more specific should be done and not punish the whole country...

Reactions: cavok

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I honestly think that if right from the beginning of this Covid madness nobody did nothing, I mean no lockdowns, no border closings, no curfew, nothing at all, we could have much better numbers by now, because probably there could be the herd immunity for all population of DR. You may say that there could be a lot more deaths, but I doubt it, and if you remember, during his Presidential campaign Abinader offered 4 mobile hospitals, but only one of them was actually deployed and it was never used. So he probably could deploy more of them around the country, if they were really needed. So all those 'lack of hospital beds' excuses now is bullshlt.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
The point is that Abinader needs lower overall Covid stats. Everybody knows that his money is in tourist business, so he already ordered his boy Collado to convince anybody who can send a plane with tourists to DR. The problem is that despite Collado's efforts, some countries still don't want to send tourists until Covid numbers will lower significantly. So this is what it's all about. But, like I mentioned before, locking up Santo Domingo is not doable, so they will eventually come up with something else, and yes, once again they will fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The point is that Abinader needs lower overall Covid stats. Everybody knows that his money is in tourist business, so he already ordered his boy Collado to convince anybody who can send a plane with tourists to DR. The problem is that despite Collado's efforts, some countries still don't want to send tourists until Covid numbers will lower significantly. So this is what it's all about. But, like I mentioned before, locking up Santo Domingo is not doable, so they will eventually come up with something else, and yes, once again they will fail.
Well if that idea were implemented in almost any local and word gets out to the people planning a DR trip the tourist stats would be in the crapper (thanks Thomas Crapper) and a 1PM curfew would be like flushing tourist dollars down the john (thanks Joseph Bramah).

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There's a difference between that they might want to implement the police reform and that they actually can do it. Police reform will never happen in DR, unless they import the whole police force from another country.
I cannot comment fully on what causes so much corruption in the police because some people on DR1 don't want to hear about it. Or so I have been told.
But you can read about this problem in the news at least once a week and it makes people huge amounts of money, until they get arrested, replace the head of the police in a given area again, prosecute a politician or other government official over it etc, etc , etc. Only the names (and quantities) in the articles in the news need to be edited by the newspapers every week on and on into infinity.

Until that changes, places like this will have massive corruption in the police and in the politicians. I don't care how many times you change the people, the monetary gains are overwhelming.

I do agree, from early on, that the curfews were as much or more about preventing crime than they were about containing CV19 which is here, there and everywhere to stay. The DR needs tourism and isn't about to require negative CV19 tests before entering the DR if they have not already done so.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't see this happening. The current protocols are not being strictly enforced and the population is not particularly compliant. Lots would ignore a 1 pm curfew and there is no practical will or way to enforce it, so there is no upside in even going there for the Govt.

Concentrate on making access to vaccines quick and easy. Offer incentives to convince hesitant people to get the shot. Reducing the severity of the disease is the only way out of this. There are still far too many seriously ill people in ICU and daily deaths. If the vaccine on offer prevents people from getting so sick as to need hospital care, we can be 80% done as soon as enough doses arrive and are given out. Then it won't matter quite so much who distances themselves from others or goes to walk their dog at midnight. An effective vaccine in the majority of the population and limiting the introduction of variants that the vaccine is not so good dealing with is the key. From day one, trying to control the actions of the population has been a failure in concept and practicality - people just will not do as they are told as evidenced here and many other countries that opted not to bring the hammer down on those not following the pandemic rules. As time went by, the idea of a curfew became more of a suggestion than a hard rule. I know people who have ignored the curfew from almost day one and have apparently gotten away with doing so the whole time. I never understood how but they did. The curfew has evolved into the least restrictive version over time. Now most people should be able to comply as most are probably inclined to be at home and asleep between midnight and 5am most nights.

Some may feel that if a 1 pm curfew is the worst possible decision to make, then the Govt will almost certainly do that, but i don't think they will. "They" would never create a different set of rules for SD and the another set for the rest of the country. I suppose they could try and keep most people from leaving SD and taking the virus with them, but I don't think they will do that either.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's time for the Fauci wannabes and their supporters to climb back into their little holes and be quiet. The general population isn't going to continue playing along and you are 100% correct when you say there is no real will to enforce it, atleast not by the PN as they backed off bigtime ever since that pastor and his wife were killed in La Vega.

A key part of the police reform plan is rebuilding the trust between the institution and the general public. I've no doubt this will be taken into account prior to any changes in the curfew hours and I do not think Luis is willing to make any changes anytime soon.

Reactions: chico bill

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have a good source for information here in Santiago and the only thing I've heard recently is they will be keeping the curfew in place until they can implement the police reform. I'm not saying they can't change it should they choose too but I've been told it's more about preventing crime than saving lives at this point.
ha ha,,,police reform ...thats a good one............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The only thing that ever "ends" pandemics is herd immunity.

Hopefully that is possible. We still don't really know if it is possible since it is too early to tell. I hope it is.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The only thing that ever "ends" pandemics is herd immunity.

Hopefully that is possible. We still don't really know if it is possible since it is too early to tell. I hope it is.
All of those sleepness nights....
The Covid Boogeyman is coming for the fear mongers.

Status
Not open for further replies.