Curfew Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
75% was a number that made the difference in a Brazilian city which did a trial of mass immunity with Sinovac
Over 75% of US Citizens over 65 are fully vaccinated. 53.3% of all adults over 18 and surprisingly 50.3 % of all those over 12.
So hopefully the US can dispense with masks and government lockdowns now

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
There is no point in saying "oh in XYZ State in the USA they didn't close the bars and nobody died, therefore it's pointless in DR." DR is not in the USA, and the key point is that just before this new curfew, ICU beds were almost full in many areas. The US never ran out of facilities to treat the sick, never got close. Faced with the fact that they were running out of beds, infection and death rates are rising, what do you think the government should have done? Nothing? Or said "well, people can cope without a drink for a few weeks and by closing bars and restaurants we will reduce social mixing so reduce infection rates, following the model of pretty much every other country in the world".

You've only got to look at those videos which came out of India showing people traipsing around from full hospital to full hospital with their mother dying in the back of the car to realise how bad this can become.

And I don't want to worry you but the British and Brazil strains are old news. The Indian and Nepal strains are way more infectious and have yet to hit DR.
You miss the point, which is the lockdowns do not reduce rate of infection. I think the Colombia example displays this clearly. The Gov. should be creating at least temporary beds for those infected instead of putting business out of business and employees out of work. THAT is creating untold hardships. They are also taking a bad education system and making it worse, I didn't think the education system could get worse.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good to hear - sounds like a mask could be a permanent item for your future, and we have no problem with that - it's your choice.
But please don't insist it is good for the rest of us, it is not natural or healthy for a person to re-breathe their own CO2
Well, the fact of the matter is that it would be better for me and everyone else if we all wore a mask.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well, the fact of the matter is that it would be better for me and everyone else if we all wore a mask.
I can understand NOT blowing Cigarette Smoke in your Face , so you dont get Cancer , from 2nd hand ..
But Please ELABORATE why you FEEL that WE all need to wear a MASK , for YOU to Feel Better .

I am genuinely curious about this ... not bashing at all ..

Reactions: Big

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Over 75% of US Citizens over 65 are fully vaccinated. 53.3% of all adults over 18 and surprisingly 50.3 % of all those over 12.
So hopefully the US can dispense with masks and government lockdowns now
What they do in the US isn't very important for me, except for the fact that a lot of Americans come here.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
and the status of the curfew is? Thor, Zeus, and Jupiter ...use twitter or instagram to express your POV. IF on the ground , whats the curfew like for the beach's?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not going to happen scooter.

So you have COPD and therefore you want the whole world to mask up because it would benefit you?

That's like saying you have erectile dysfunction and the whole world should not have sex.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I'm very well aware of the non guarantee.
it does NOT however reduce the RISK of catching it .. maybe you meant the RISK OF DEATH , AFTER catching it ? ..

And I am Not knocking them for wearing a Mask..
that is PERSONAL CHOICE ... Just like My Choice to not get the Vaccine ..

but I am noting that they can not get away from it .. en masse .
Its not a Small Percentage ..... Your Point would be 100% valid if a SMALL percentage DECIDED to continue wearing masks . No ?

Did all these people make a conscious decision ,, thinking it through ?
Or is it something else
what conclusion would you draw from a person continuing to wear the Mask ,, when now told " hey its SAFE, you can take that off now"..

The Dominican people are not falling for it though , not from the get Go ..
Their " Ignorance" to the Bogus Science attached to it may be the Smartest thing they have ever done , imho..

again, not knocking those who wear a mask..

I'm fully vaccinated and don't wear a mask outside, not being in crowds, when seated in a restaurant with well spaced seating.
I do wear a mask in airports, on a plane, in medical offices, hospital, snorkelling, scuba diving and grocery stores.

Below are some reasons provided to wear masks by medical professionals.

Even vaccinated people still must wear masks in some settings. Yes, the CDC has stated that if you are fully vaccinated, you no longer need to wear a mask outdoors, as well as in most indoor spaces.

However, "this does not apply to public transit hubs or transit such as airplanes, buses and trains, and other crowded indoor settings, where all individuals must wear masks regardless of vaccination status," says Dr. Andrea Love, immunologist, microbiologist and co-host of the Unbiased Science Podcast.

"This also does not apply to healthcare settings," Dr. Love says. "Private businesses have the ability to implement their own mask policies as well [and] you need to continue to comply with mask-wearing based on other federal, state, local, tribal and business regulations."

Remember, businesses and other public establishments are largely relying on the honor system here. Now that vaccinated people can enter most places without a mask, unvaccinated people are bound to take advantage of the new CDC guidance and stop wearing masks because there's currently no way to tell who's vaccinated and who's not.

On airplanes, for example, it's safest to simply make everyone wear a mask for the duration of the flight. Because people are in such close quarters and the US has no system for vaccination identification, airline operators are forced to assume some or all people on their flights aren't vaccinated. There's just no telling who, exactly. Thus, to minimize transmission, everyone should wear a mask.

Continue to wear a mask, practice social distancing after being vaccinated for COVID-1​

Some people may think that wearing a mask or continuing to practice social distancing aren't necessary steps if they've been infected with COVID-19 or vaccinated for COVID-19. But that's not true, says Dr. Abinash Virk, an infectious diseases expert. Even those who have been vaccinated for COVID-19 still need to wear a mask, practice social distancing and wash their hands frequently.

"Until we have more information about how this vaccine impacts what we call asymptomatic transmission, we still have to wear the mask because, although we may be protected from severe infection, or even getting symptomatic COVID-19 infection, we don't know if people may pick up the virus and transmit it to somebody else."

"These studies — both the Pfizer and the Moderna — were really designed to see if the vaccine can prevent the symptomatic infection," adds Dr. Virk. "They weren't designed to study if we can prevent transmission from one person to the other."

"Number one, while the vaccine reduces your risk, it does not eliminate the risk of being exposed to having the disease and asymptomatically transmitting the virus to others."

"Remember that even the best of these vaccines is about 90%-95% effective, meaning, you might still have a 1 in10 or 1 in 20 chance of being exposed and getting the disease. So the mask is protecting you."

The third reason is related to these new mutant variants and other variants still to come. "The vaccine might protect you against death, but maybe your protection against disease ends up being about 50-60%," says Dr. Poland. "If that's true, then we still want to wear masks to prevent disease, and prevent the spread of those variants, which could then mutate further causing even more infections."

Dr. Virk says Mayo Clinic is looking to study the impact of vaccination on asymptomatic carrier state and transmission. "We hope Mayo Clinic staff will participate when the study is announced and hopefully we will have information in the next few months," says Dr. Virk.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I can understand NOT blowing Cigarette Smoke in your Face , so you dont get Cancer , from 2nd hand ..
But Please ELABORATE why you FEEL that WE all need to wear a MASK , for YOU to Feel Better .

I am genuinely curious about this ... not bashing at all ..
Whether you are bashing or not is not important to me. My reason for feeling that way is becasue of the evidence that general mask wearing significanly reduces the spread many of the ailments that affect people. Many people I know have mentioned not having the flu this year or even the common cold. I am sure this must also be true with other things passed from one person to another, but flu and colds are the most obvious and the most widespread every year. My wearing a mask will help, of course, but my mask does more to protect others than me. The best protection is both of us wearing masks.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Whether you are bashing or not is not important to me. My reason for feeling that way is becasue of the evidence that general mask wearing significanly reduces the spread many of the ailments that affect people. Many people I know have mentioned not having the flu this year or even the common cold. I am sure this must also be true with other things passed from one person to another, but flu and colds are the most obvious and the most widespread every year. My wearing a mask will help, of course, but my mask does more to protect others than me. The best protection is both of us wearing masks.
you should wear a helmet all the time as well, just because!

Reactions: jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
you should wear a helmet all the time as well, just because!
His Masks seem to be the ONLY masks in the World , which " Protects others"..
No other mask , in ANY other Industry, ESPECIALLY the N95 which is worn by Doctors and Medical Professional , works this way .
Not a single one
They all by DESIGN " Exhale into a DIRTY environment"... ie , you EXHALE DIRTY or you Exhale INTO DIRTY environment .
the mask does not CLEAN your Exhalation .. in fact for say DUST and Paint Masks like at Home Depot ,, Look at the Exhale design , its a Round piece of Rubber which Opens up completely when you exhale ..

Or just google " How masks work " .. no matter if its Auto Painting, Medical , Mining . they all work the same exact way .

How anyone can try to directly contradict these Designs by the Manufacturer themselves is beyond my understanding ..

but hey, it makes them feel better .

Reactions: Big

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You miss the point, which is the lockdowns do not reduce rate of infection. I think the Colombia example displays this clearly. The Gov. should be creating at least temporary beds for those infected instead of putting business out of business and employees out of work. THAT is creating untold hardships. They are also taking a bad education system and making it worse, I didn't think the education system could get worse.

The UK had very firm lockdowns and most reports say that these were the reason that infection rates were brought down to almost zero. The lockdowns in the US were never as strict and widely enforced (as most states did different things) so it's hard to use the US as the reference example.

Status
Not open for further replies.