Curfew Tightened Considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
The amount of damage these draconian restrictions are doing to people's livelihoods
is a conversation these fear mongering freaks are willing to have with us.
Please.

You are trying to make a buck, I get that. Lots of people are. Many grouse, but it takes a special kind of person (and not in a good way)to be willing to put people's safety at risk so they can make a profit.

Look, it's not my fault people don't set up emergency funds or have reserves to take care of themselves or employees in case things go south. And, I get the level of desperation that, for some, comes with poor planning. Any number of information sources, including this one, constantly warns immigrants to NEVER RELY ON THE DOMINICAN ECONOMY TO SUSTAIN THEM, but come on down tossing caution to the wind nonetheless.

Anyway, THAT degree of irresponsibility doesn't give them the right to be irresponsible towards the health of their employees or patrons. I suppose if I ran a bar or restaurant or some tourist thing, I could make a buck by cutting corners, but that would be unethical and, in the case of covid, utterly reckless.

Like, criminally negligent.

So, it's not "fear mongering." You're trying to ignore a very real crisis because you apparently have a financial stake in pretending all is well.

Shame on those who put their teams and customers at risk.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please.

You are trying to make a buck, I get that. Lots of people are. Many grouse, but it takes a special kind of person (and not in a good way)to be willing to put people's safety at risk so they can make a profit.

Look, it's not my fault people don't set up emergency funds or have reserves to take care of themselves or employees in case things go south. And, I get the level of desperation that, for some, comes with poor planning. Any number of information sources, including this one, constantly warns immigrants to NEVER RELY ON THE DOMINICAN ECONOMY TO SUSTAIN THEM, but come on down tossing caution to the wind nonetheless.

Anyway, THAT degree of irresponsibility doesn't give them the right to be irresponsible towards the health of their employees or patrons. I suppose if I ran a bar or restaurant or some tourist thing, I could make a buck by cutting corners, but that would be unethical and, in the case of covid, utterly reckless.

So, it's not "fear mongering." You're trying to ignore a very real crisis because you apparently have a financial stake in pretending all is well.

Not sharpest ambulance chaser of the lot are ya Rob?
You're up in Atlanta, you have the freedom to move about
and still earn a living don't you?

100% of my income comes from other countries (as I stated previously)
and I am sitting comfortably down here in my residence. The only real crisis
this country is currently going through are these draconian restrictions that are
ruining people's livelihoods, several of whom may never recover financially.

If you actually lived down here you may (or probably not) acknowledge it
but you don't. Instead you just play your role on this forum as our #1 Monday
morning quarterback. How's the slip and fall business been doing up there
with so many bars and clubs being closed? Don't quit ya day job yet... buddy.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Not sharpest ambulance chaser of the lot are ya Rob?
You're up in Atlanta, you have the freedom to move about
and still earn a living don't you?

100% of my income comes from other countries (as I stated previously)
and I am sitting comfortably down here in my residence. The only real crisis
this country is currently going through are these draconian restrictions that are
ruining people's livelihoods, several of whom may never recover financially.

If you actually lived down here you may (or probably not) acknowledge it
but you don't. Instead you just play your role on this forum as our #1 Monday
morning quarterback. How's the slip and fall business been doing up there
with so many bars and clubs being closed? Don't quit ya day job yet... buddy.

I would love to watch him tell a Dominican family that they should have reserves and an emergency fund when they can't feed their family because of reduced or non-existent working hours. This guy is not the brightest bulb in the box.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I would love to watch him tell a Dominican family that they should have reserves and an emergency fund when they can't feed their family because of reduced or non-existent working hours. This guy is not the brightest bulb in the box.
Any Person who has EVER , even just ONCE traveled to the DR, knows that the masses live Day to Day , in the moment ..
Anyone who cant grasp this , has no business lecturing them , or even getting on a plane to other Cultures .. because you are just DAFT if you cant see it , FIRST TRIP.
" Savings" ??? holy smokes ...the BANCA is the only DREAM bank account they have .. Or marrying a Gringo ..
Who in the DR that is working has a Savings account for a Rainy Day ,? good Lord .....
Is he trying to convince us that he is Hob Nobbing it with Upper Social Classes in the DR ? .. .there is ZERO chance that they would even entertain him in their Company .. ZERO...

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Please.

How preposterous!
Perhaps you could set up a YouTube channel centered on financial advice, explaining to Dominicans how to set up reserves and take care of themselves and their employees in case things go south.
Does your immigrant reference relate to Haitian immigrants as well?
Just wondering where you would tell them to go if not in their usual easterly direction?
Another person without a clue as to life in the RD.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How preposterous!
Perhaps you could set up a YouTube channel centered on financial advice, explaining to Dominicans how to set up reserves and take care of themselves and their employees in case things go south.
Does your immigrant reference relate to Haitian immigrants as well?
Just wondering where you would tell them to go if not in their usual easterly direction?
Another person without a clue as to life in the RD.
Not trying to go off-topic but I don't know of any Venezuelans who
will be receiving any assistance either and there is currently an estimated
30,000 living here illegally.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Please.

Many Dominicans save money, if they can. I know quite a few that are very savvy with money. However, there is no employment insurance here, and most small and medium sized companies can afford two or three months of paying wages without income, but that's about it. Most expats, including myself either have income from their home country, or pensions, in my case I have both. There is more money in the DR, than ever before, but it isn't getting to everyone.

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
Please.

I'm no expert but have 'lived" in the DR 3 times to date. I can tell you emphatically this is the most offensive, elitist, thing I've ever read in DR!
These people live day to day, struggling to survive for the most part.
I'd venture to say you have never been there, or, if you have you're staying at AI's. Try getting out in the real Dominican Republic.

Yet your post receives 4 rec's.
Mind-numbing.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
A planet where apparently people don't go to beauty parlors during the night ?
12 noon shut down Sat and Sun, big days for salons and 5 Mon - Fri??? I guess your planet doesn't have any people that actually work a day shift job? Her clients are largely professionals, they all work for a living.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
We always ask who knows people who have had CV19

My House staff had it... a him/her situation...+ 3 children

Them plus one man in The doctor’s office....last week
Since I know that many will "have" the virus, just like many get gripe, I prefer to ask how many people that they personally know who have died from it, so far 3 people claim to know someone that has died from it. Since I ask 2-4 people per day for the last 2 months I'd say that is a very small %.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I just love people that don't live here and OBVIOUSLY don't have a clue about the D.R opining on what Dominicans should or should not do. They have no idea what these people are going through thanks to these closures. Hope you are holding up ok in SPM Nan, Happy New Year!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Please.

Do you even know WHERE the Dominican Republic is located? Your obvious ignorance of day to day life for the majority of Dominicans leads me to believe that you have never been here.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Any Person who has EVER , even just ONCE traveled to the DR, knows that the masses live Day to Day , in the moment ..
Anyone who cant grasp this , has no business lecturing them , or even getting on a plane to other Cultures .. because you are just DAFT if you cant see it , FIRST TRIP.
" Savings" ??? holy smokes ...the BANCA is the only DREAM bank account they have .. Or marrying a Gringo ..
Who in the DR that is working has a Savings account for a Rainy Day ,? good Lord .....
Is he trying to convince us that he is Hob Nobbing it with Upper Social Classes in the DR ? .. .there is ZERO chance that they would even entertain him in their Company .. ZERO...

Well then, here we have it, finally.

The --- relatively loosely enforced, mind you---- lockdowns only play a minor role in the " downfall" of the finances of the " working class ".
As, you rightly point out, a large portion of the DR population wasn't in a great place financially pre-covid, pre-lockdown.

And now we are supposed to get on our high horses and blame the lockdowns ?
That sounds more like something the politicos and los ricos ( and chicas too probably ;) )will do in the future...... No fui yo ! Fue el toque de quede !!
Mark my words, they will be blaming it on covid for years to come, when everything was already fukced up yeaaàars before covid and lockdowns.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Please.

Everybody reading this who has a lick of sense to them, which may be a stretch in some cases, knows full well that I am referring to immigrants. expats from North America and Europe primarily . Probably because I said immigrants in my post.

Your attempt to turn this into some sort of attack on Dominicans is beyond ridiculous and inaccurate. pathetic, but hardly surprising.

Sorry, you don't get to change the topic because you feel like it. This is about deeply irresponsible, short-sighted expats, who want to put others at risk so they can feel comfortable. and being willing to put others in harm's way for one's own benefit is just deplorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.