Curious about everyone’s opinion on...

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I’ll be the wet blanket......... if you’re considering moving to DR, anywhere in DR, and opening a restaurant or business, forget it. If by some miracle you are successful, 5 other identical places will open near you and put you out of business.

Well, that's just a wee bit negative. ;) There is one sure fire way to make money whether it rains or shines as it floats all kinds of businesses that no otherwise sane person would invest in: laundromat or a lavadoria. You bring in dirty 100 dollar or euro notes and turns them into a brilliant undertaking that only a genius like yourself could turn into a wildly profitable enterprise.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'd like an Amazon distribution Ctr in Puerto Plata.

I'd also recommend a midnight express that runs a jet between POP and FLL. No time schedule as that would just be undominican, but back and forth whenever the pilot can zip up his pants after diddling the cute girl(s) at the duty free(s). Maybe better if a dominicana was the pilot.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'd also recommend a midnight express that runs a jet between POP and FLL. No time schedule as that would just be undominican, but back and forth whenever the pilot can zip up his pants after diddling the cute girl(s) at the duty free(s). Maybe better if a dominicana was the pilot.

Makes you wonder why Spirit doesn't do just that(?). I think there are a lot of people fed up with American's high fares to MIA and they would prefer to avoid MIA altogether!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Makes you wonder why Spirit doesn't do just that(?). I think there are a lot of people fed up with American's high fares to MIA and they would prefer to avoid MIA altogether!

Right? I've been using AA to STI and just put up with the drive. There's a $400 difference between the POP and STI, and I usually make some stops on the route.

I can't imagine that the landing fees are that out of whack. And, the STI runway must come with some extra maintenance costs as it's ridiculously bumpy.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
A Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's in Cabarete... God I miss those donuts...

Dunkin Donuts was my Idea , but for Sosua.... and I was Laughed at by pretty much everyone .... so maybe it was not the right time .. But whoever has the Guts to do it eventually will make out like a bandit , imo. Right on the main street .. or on PC..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A good variety of familiar donuts requires different flours & yeasts and of course the right frying oil. Might be difficult to keep those ingredients on hand. But yeah, hmmm, crullers...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
DD...

http://www.dunkinfranchising.com/franchisee/en/process.html

Minimum $250K USD liquid assets and $500K USD minimum net worth per unit required.

If I had that I would prefer to leave it at the bank before investing that in Sosua, less stress... just saying.

International is more: Liquid $1.5mm, $3mm net worth. https://global.dunkinfranchising.com/en

I'm betting the family who had the Dunkin Donuts franchise here still owns the rights. I believe they also own Baskin Robbins here as well.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Any Gringo ever tryed a colmado?

Yes me, and worked well but was a steep learning curve. You have to give credit, but those who run off without paying are the gringos not the Dominicans or Haitians. Home delivery was successful. You have to be open long hours (we were 7am to 11pm). You get through a few members of staff before you find those you can trust. Worth experimenting with a few different things - we bought a freezer and had different meat in it - not just chicken in a plastic bowl. Worth doing toasted sandwiches and coffee. Learn new words: Gilay - razor, Kotay - sanitary towel, etc.

Matilda

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
A good Philadelphia cheesesteak, fries, and creamy milkshake. While I can get something close in the DR, it is not the same. Also, a good South Philadelphia Italian hoagie would be nice.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been coming down to the DR (Sosua area) off and in since 2009.
I am aware that vacationing and living are completely different. My question is
What are the things that are difficult to get, or what things/places would you like to see open in the smaller towns in the DR.

Could be a type of restaurant, type of store, an item/service that’s hard to find or very expensive, etc...?

What are the things you miss most? If any?

Thanks in advance for the reply’s. Can’t wait to get back beginning of next year.

Now for my "always say this first" suggestion.
If you need to make money to survive here, then wait until you have enough to retire and just do that.

Now for the secondary suggestions:
If you need the money from a business to survive here, then don't do it.

If you want a business to remain occupied and can lose every peso of that investment and still survive, then maybe try something. But I still suggest not doing it.

And my final suggestion. A Trader Joe's with all the beer and wine selection.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell.

I thought it was the Dominicans crazy for those fast food chains. I don't eat that stuff when in the states and they don't tempt me here either. I was disappointed the other day to find out they are putting a KFC in a great old building on Calle del Sol in Santiago. When I first saw it for rent I thought, for a split second, that it would be fun to open an old style bar/pub in the place with an interior matching the old brick outside with big doors to match. Since I don't want to bleed my hard earned money I quickly woke up but to see a fast food joint open there seemed sad.
DV8 - I broke down not getting Thai food here (I know a few places serve it in Sosua) and started making Thai style red curry fish and/or chicken. I need a few more adjustments but for a lousy chef it has been coming along fine.
I miss Sushi (really Sashimi). I have tried it here in various places but yuck!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I thought it was the Dominicans crazy for those fast food chains. I don't eat that stuff when in the states and they don't tempt me here either. I was disappointed the other day to find out they are putting a KFC in a great old building on Calle del Sol in Santiago. When I first saw it for rent I thought, for a split second, that it would be fun to open an old style bar/pub in the place with an interior matching the old brick outside with big doors to match. Since I don't want to bleed my hard earned money I quickly woke up but to see a fast food joint open there seemed sad.
DV8 - I broke down not getting Thai food here (I know a few places serve it in Sosua) and started making Thai style red curry fish and/or chicken. I need a few more adjustments but for a lousy chef it has been coming along fine.
I miss Sushi (really Sashimi). I have tried it here in various places but yuck!

I will try and send you some thai recipes as I do thai a lot here and is easy as all the ingredients easy to find. PM me your email and will send you some like hot and sour prawn soup. thai chilli chicken with basil and coconut cream, and others.

Matilda

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Although I tend to think I am a cruise ship guy I always return to be be a simple numbers guy. Most numbers in The DR do not add up in the Hospitality Business. That being said if you own a prime location and some mis informed individual would like to improve your property and pay a solid number for a lease so be it. I looked at a number of opportunities to buy, lease, build, franchise etc. I did the math and the numbers do not lie. There maybe an exception. However most would fail. That is just the numbers not adding in local politics and corruption.

TotalBlondee

Dec 26, 2016
A good Philadelphia cheesesteak, fries, and creamy milkshake. While I can get something close in the DR, it is not the same. Also, a good South Philadelphia Italian hoagie would be nice.

I hear you can get a good philly cheesesteak sandwich at that new Irish pub in Sosua!