Curious about everyone’s opinion on...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Big Frank had good Philly cheese steaks at Jose O'Shay's, too(no surprise as he is from Philly), but anyone who has ever had one in Philly will be slightly disappointed. There's just no way to get the real Italian hoagie rolls or the same quality of beef here in the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I thought it was the Dominicans crazy for those fast food chains. I don't eat that stuff when in the states and they don't tempt me here either. I was disappointed the other day to find out they are putting a KFC in a great old building on Calle del Sol in Santiago. When I first saw it for rent I thought, for a split second, that it would be fun to open an old style bar/pub in the place with an interior matching the old brick outside with big doors to match. Since I don't want to bleed my hard earned money I quickly woke up but to see a fast food joint open there seemed sad.
DV8 - I broke down not getting Thai food here (I know a few places serve it in Sosua) and started making Thai style red curry fish and/or chicken. I need a few more adjustments but for a lousy chef it has been coming along fine.
I miss Sushi (really Sashimi). I have tried it here in various places but yuck!

It's not so much that I crave the food at any of those restaurants I mentioned(although sometimes I do), it's what they are that I miss - fast food restaurants. Sometimes I simply do not have the time to go to a "sit down" restaurant and order a meal. Plus, they all have parking lots, are air conditioned(which also eliminates the noise from all the motos with their mufflers removed), and have clean bathrooms. The drive-through window is another plus for times when you want something "to go".

The only place comparable that I can think of near me is Cafe Tropical in Sosua - cafeteria style so it's fast, parking lot, a/c, clean restrooms, and good food at reasonable prices. I go there often. The cafeteria in La Sirena in Pto. Plata is good, too, but the food is usually all gone by 2pm.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I also miss a place(like the fast food restaurants) where I can grab a decent sized cup of coffee - not these dinky 5oz cups that they give you almost anywhere here - in the land of coffee no less.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those small cups are disappointing especially when they arrive in front of me and are only half full - I guess the other half is room for the milk.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also miss a place(like the fast food restaurants) where I can grab a decent sized cup of coffee - not these dinky 5oz cups that they give you almost anywhere here - in the land of coffee no less.

Sounds like you miss Dunkin' Donuts which has a great example of USA style coffee. ( I hate Starbucks for various reasons).

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Coffee is too important to me so I make it fresh every morning and ALWAYS have an extra pound because I just can't run out. When in the states I do enjoy Dunkin Donuts coffee (starbucks will never get my business not only because I find there coffee bitter) I like my coffee like my woman, strong and black, so it needs to be fresh, hmm come to think of it I also like my women fresh.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The only gringos I know who are making real money and enjoying
life down here are doing so by running a company remotely which
is based in either Europe or North America (Canada/USA).
The rest are barely scraping by running bars, restaurants and small
guesthouse/ hotels.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Coffee is too important to me so I make it fresh every morning and ALWAYS have an extra pound because I just can't run out. When in the states I do enjoy Dunkin Donuts coffee (starbucks will never get my business not only because I find there coffee bitter) I like my coffee like my woman, strong and black, so it needs to be fresh, hmm come to think of it I also like my women fresh.

Same here. I buy it "en grano" and grind it fresh every morning. Dunkin Donuts was always my first choice to grab a cup of coffee if one was nearby when I was out and about.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Well, that's just a wee bit negative. ;) There is one sure fire way to make money whether it rains or shines as it floats all kinds of businesses that no otherwise sane person would invest in: laundromat or a lavadoria. You bring in dirty 100 dollar or euro notes and turns them into a brilliant undertaking that only a genius like yourself could turn into a wildly profitable enterprise.

You have hit the nail on the head. You would need an introduction to the right Drug Enforcement folks in the capital. They have plenty of money that needs cleaning. Any business would do. Damn I'm getting cynical!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Well, that's just a wee bit negative. ;) There is one sure fire way to make money whether it rains or shines as it floats all kinds of businesses that no otherwise sane person would invest in: laundromat or a lavadoria. You bring in dirty 100 dollar or euro notes and turns them into a brilliant undertaking that only a genius like yourself could turn into a wildly profitable enterprise.

Yep, another business I was thinking about doing when I was living in Puerto Plata.

Seriously..... A combination Laundromat/bar/car wash.

Sit and drink while somebody washes and drys your car and clothes. I still think it's viable.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sit and drink while somebody washes and drys your car and clothes. I still think it's viable.

I thought a Dominicano with a car had at least a chica (or 2 ?) to wash their clothes.

Can't picture Fausto loading his yeepeta with a laundry bag for some reasons. :cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An important lesson to learn wherever you choose to start a business:

It's like getting married.

Never start a business for money. That is the worst reason possible. When the money is not what you expected, your attitude fails and so will the business.

Only start a business out of passion. Your love and passion is infectious and your customers and vendors will know it. Your passion will carry you through hard times.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I thought a Dominicano with a car had at least a chica (or 2 ?) to wash their clothes.

Can't picture Fausto loading his yeepeta with a laundry bag for some reasons. :cheeky:

Well Fausto may be looking for a little action on the side without mami knowing we all know the situation at most car washes.:bunny:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I obviously haven't been going to the right car washes!

D'Chicas on Autopista Duarte. cold beer sandwich wash your car, an anything else I hear. don't know about your clothes though.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
D'Chicas on Autopista Duarte. cold beer sandwich wash your car, an anything else I hear. don't know about your clothes though.

I'll have to stop by there. Maybe it'll help relieve all the stress and frustration of my next residency renewal at DGM!