Curious to know....

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Been in Puerto Plata 12 times, i am a very good defensive driver, but no way i would rent a car and drive there. I think i would feel like a target $$$$$

I've learned to avoid the centre of Puerto Plata and use the malecon road to get through on my way to Costambar, Imbert, Luperon, etc. Especially during busy periods. They finally installed a median to control vehicle integration as you exit the malecon street and enter the main road through Puerto Plata. Still crazy there but it helps. Once I get to Maimon, I start to relax. I'm totally relaxed driving in the country and I avoid driving there at night. 

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Sto Domingo and STI is where that works......

Nagua might be a problem, also LT .... Cabrera for sure
Which is why I take the local boys beer ������ for their lunch every now and then 

You can every town and city on the north coast to your 3 in not having the Casa de Conductor.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
How is it NOT a big adjustment after your description of driving in the DR?   

If you are a timid driver than yes, it would be a big adjustment. I have driven in NYC and everything in between and did not find it a problem. Challenging at times, frustrating and crazy, yes. Domincan drivers can drive you nuts with their lack of courtesy but if you slow down and tell yourself I'm on "island time" and relax you'll be fine.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It doesn't matter where you have the accident in the Country if you have Casa de conducter you will be taken to a hotel in either Santiago or SD, whichever is closer.  

When we had our accident at the bottom of the hill going to Jarabacoa the person that hit us, and at fault had his wreck towed to Santo Domingo and he went to the Casa Conductor there. We went there 4 days later, no issue, no police, filled the paperwork, did the interview and got our paperwork for the insurance companies. Easy-peasy but slow.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
the best description is it's like driving in a video game. Things dropping out of the sky. bananna flying out the back of trucks smacking your wind shield .. Just think of the stupiest thing a person could do and that's what is going to happen. I use to drive no more now.. Taxi for me all the time... and my two feet. keeps you in shape .

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Learning how to drive in Boston,MA the actual driving here is not so difficult. However the legal side is what gives me pause. Living in the capital UBER is the way for me. I do rent a car for driving around the rest of the country. UBER is so cheap it makes no sense for me to drive in the capital.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
It doesn't matter where you have the accident in the Country if you have Casa de conducter you will be taken to a hotel in either Santiago or SD, whichever is closer.  

Has this changed recently for anyone which has this insurance on the north coast? My insurance agent has always told me in the past that I would have to be in the Santiago/or Santo Dom. area to be taken to a hotel with this coverage.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Has this changed recently for anyone which has this insurance on the north coast? My insurance agent has always told me in the past that I would have to be in the Santiago/or Santo Dom. area to be taken to a hotel with this coverage.

Yes, mine too. He stopped offering Casa de Conductor in Sosua. Hmm....

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
How is it NOT a big adjustment after your description of driving in the DR?   

Have you ever driven in the USA in a big city without seeing a bad accident for a month? I don't believe I ever have, and I see a lot less in the DR than in Miami or Minneapolis, or St Louis or St Cloud.
Der Fish

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Yes, mine too. He stopped offering Casa de Conductor in Sosua. Hmm....
 I know of two people in North coast Sosua accidents one had Motoo honcho under car other  drove home ( was caught and still wasn't arrested) last 6 months no one went to jail was cordial..I was eating popcorn waiting to see what happens..neither had conductor rider

Jan 8, 2017
depends. i spoke to a lawyer about this last year and he said standard compensation is 2 million pesos for death and 1 million pesos for injury. but this is, of course, for people who have money. other people pay what they can afford. between the poor nothing much happens. one cannot squeeze water out of a stone.
and no jail, really. occasionally one sees news that a driver who caused an accident was arrested but i don't see news about sentences. and a few months back a guy who caused a massive accident in samana and arrested was caught after making a u-turn on avenida churchill in SD just few weeks later, he was simply let go.

So this actually happened to a friend's wife, she is Dominican and had an accident in her jeepeta with a kid on a moto.  They had a lawyer who handled everything, they paid for the medical expenses, surgery and paid a settlement agreement and signed a Recibo De Descargo with all parties.  A little over a month later they get a phone call that the kid had died and the family attorney is trying to challenge the Recibo De Descargo for more money.....lawyers are bad in all countries I guess.  They said that the notarized settlement agreement protects them from this....is this true?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
This is the reason why you unber or taxi it . there is always a scam on this island......

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The worst part is that you can be driving properly and the other vehicle races thru a red light and you are in the hands of the police with no confidence in the outcome. Other issue is that if the party is deceased you could be the victim of personal violent vendetta from the family since you killed their son. The fact that he was drunk, racing, had no headlights and ran a light do not mean a thing. Safest thing is if at all possible find a Dominican to drive. Your girlfriend, boyfriend, anybody. Then you can sit back, relax and complain about their driving knowing you will not end up in jail. Luckily my wife drives mostly. When we head to the car we ask, you want to drive or complain.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The worst part is that you can be driving properly and the other vehicle races thru a red light and you are in the hands of the police with no confidence in the outcome.

Our Dominican niece was minding her own business driving down a street with a green light. A moto ran their red light and hit her broadside. HER insurance paid him 1 million pesos for his broken leg.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
The worst part is that you can be driving properly and the other vehicle races thru a red light and you are in the hands of the police with no confidence in the outcome.

This happens 100 times a day when exiting Playero! I wonder if a dashcam would stand up in court?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Our Dominican niece was minding her own business driving down a street with a green light. A moto ran their red light and hit her broadside. HER insurance paid him 1 million pesos for his broken leg.

My experience was close to that> A motoconcho ran a stop sign and took off my mirror with his face. It only cost me 20,000 pesos.
Der Fish

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In 1998 I had a hit with some sin verguenza motoconcho in San Isidro late at night. He fell hard and I have to admit I never stopped, don't try to screw me.