currency???

pbai57

Feb 26, 2007
I've had some conflicting info! just want to know if Canadian dollars are easily used in D.R.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YES you can use Canadian dollars and exchange them almost anywhere - BUT you will not get a good rate of exchange in most locations. You are best to bring US dollars or pesos.

A

apostropheman

if someone would be so good as to post the current street rate for euros.

i'd like to do a comparison. thanks :D

Malibook

Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
CAD$ are easily exchanged if you don't mind getting dinged for 10-20%.

Take US$ and use the ATM.
I was getting around 28.5 from the ATM recently when the best cambio was paying 26.
Just make sure to take out mucho pesos per transaction to keep the service fee down to a percent or two.

Don't take pesos unless they are leftovers or you can find a good rate.
Buying Dominican pesos outside of the DR usually results in a terrible exchange rate.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I meant to post this last week... On Tuesday the money exchanges in Cabarete were offering 25 peso to the Canadian dollar and 31.5 to the US. You can do the maths yourself, I've no idea what Can-US is.

Me_again

Nov 21, 2004
"That seems a bit low for the US exchange rate"
Damnright and for several days the boards outside all of the money changers in Sosua were blank -- as if they'd got together on it. I don't remember this from previous trips -- is it common?

canadian bob

Jan 16, 2002
Use $US travellers cheques, much better than cash which is easily stolen. You also get excellent rate using debit card at the appropriate ATM. Never change money on the street! Enjoy... Canadian Bob.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
That seems a bit low for the US exchange rate
The exchange by Caribe Tours was 33.5 a couple of days earlier but I didn't notice them all on the same day to see if one is substantially better than the others or if the dollar-peso had moved significantly.

I use a UK debit card for my pesos so don't tend to take much notice! It was only because of this thread that I looked when passing. All the changes in Cabarete itself appear to be the same price always.