Customs charges for household contents

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
Hi to all.

I have looked extensively at the archives but can?t seem to find any definitive sums for what I am likely to pay in charges at the DR end for the contents of my UK home.

I have estimates for shipping the major items of furniture (excluding white goods and electrics) and so far it seems worthwhile.

However, it is clear to see the scam at the customs DR side.

Will I be charged for these items? If so - is there a rule of thumb.

I realise this will probably depend on how good a week it has been stinging others - but any help or guidance would be appreciated.

We were going to sell it all and buy there - but IF it is practical and viable we would like the major part of our furnishings.

One last thing - the shipping agent has said that THEY deal with the customs requirements and required documentation - will their quote include the charges from customs?

Thank you for you time and any help or advice would be great.

Chris & Sam Tremain

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
There have been threads on this before. I don't believe anyone can give you a definitive figure on what, if anything, there is to pay?
Best advice? Get your residency, (apparently the new rule is that they will no longer accept a formal letter from Immigration stating that you have applied for residency, but I don't know how true that is) and claim the tax exemption for setting up of your first home in the DR. Your lawyer can help wih this.
If your shippers and the local agents are any good they will devalue all your goods as being used etc. and this reduces the chances of paying tax!!
We paid nothing in 2002 when we imported a 20 foot container full, our friends just did the same and also have paid nothing only last week - but we did both follow the rules for exemption application.
Good luck
Peter

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I did this, and checked into it extensively.

The amount of tax came to roughly 10% of the value of what is being shipped. In my case, I was shipping approx $8000/furniture/electronics over, and the amount they assessed was $850 or so.

I got my residency for $1000, and therefore did not have to pay, however it was quite a lot of work.

In hindsight I'm not sure if I'd get my residency over. It does give peace of mind when travelling, but apart from that it doesn't seem very useful.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
For what it's worth

Danny is a Dominican citizen (born here) and we were still screwed to the wall. Cost us a small fortune to get our goods out of customs, not to mention a gigantic hassle.

I applaud the good fortune Peter and Alex had, but for many, sadly, this is not the case, even when you do follow the "rules". You have to make that decision for yourself, but if we had it to do over, we would arrive with our suitcases and a shopping list.

Dianne

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why do you want to bring your furniture from the UK? I predict you will be unhappy when you get it here since it will look like you are trying to duplicate your UK home in your Caribbean residence.

(I'm assuming, of course, it is the sort of furniture usually sold in the UK, northern part of the US and Canada.)

Sell the furniture, save any possible hassle with Customs, and buy rattan furniture here--of, if not rattan, something that looks at home in a Caribbean living room.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
My residency cost me more than the taxes on my household shipment would have cost(a couple of years ago). Also, it took about 4 months longer. I paid no taxes on the goods, but there were innumerable other costs and hangups.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I believe Dominicans get the tax exemption if they've been living outside the country for 3 years. Its something along these lines.

The bottom line with shipping furniture in:

Calculate what it would cost you to buy everything new. 10% is the approximate value customs will assess. If that amount is less than you can get residency for, just pay it and forget residency.

Of course if you're really planning on living here forever and ever and ever, then maybe you will want residency. But it doesn't seem to make any real difference.

Last edited: