Customs clears gifts for US$4,000

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Don't they usually restrict boxes, etc around Christmas?

My flight (EWR/SDQ) on Black Friday was an hour late leaving -
the Dominicans had so many shopping bags/carryon/etc that the boarding/loading process was a disaster
I feel your pain.
johne, and others: NO BOXES on American Airlines or JetBlue to the DR:

From the American Airlines site:

What you can’t bring​

When traveling to Mexico, the Caribbean, Central or South America, you will not be able to travel with:

• Overweight items (more than 70lb/32kgs)
  • Oversized items
  • Excess bags (only 2 checked bags allowed)*
  • Boxes**
*See seasonal limitations for Cuba exceptions.
**A “box” is any container that isn’t normally used for transporting items for air travel; this includes plastic tubs, containers and coolers.

----------------------------

For JetBlue
Can you check in a cardboard box as luggage in Jetblue?
According to Jetblue cardboard boxes/plastic bins will not be allowed on any international flight except for flights to/from Cuba. Non-hazardous items may be packed in checked bags. Humanitarian organizations transporting supplies will be subject to the same bag allowances and guidelines as other Guests.
When I used to do a lot of traveling, I would buy supercheap suitcases or duffle bags at Walmart and use those. I never had a problem and it would also give me a little extra space to throw in more 'stuff'.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most, if not all, allow 62 linear inches. All other rules of what can be shipped of course must be followed along with the problems of protecting and packing the item
Bags? Yes. Boxes. No, not on AA or JetBlue to the DR. United Airlines? Maybe up to the normal maximum bag size.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Bags? Yes. Boxes. No, not on AA or JetBlue to the DR. United Airlines? Maybe up to the normal maximum bag size.
AGAIN not exactly correct. You need to dig deeper or travel more IMO. Rule is BOX is to be factory sealed. Not weighing more than 50 pounds. For those BOXES weighing 50-71 pounds there is a overweight charge of $150.00. BOXES over 70 pound NOT accepted. BOXES over 61 linear inches NOT accepted.
I've done it in the past loaded with items of charity. And I'm sure it is not bc I am Mosiac status as the rule is for JetBlue general pop.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I was on a plane Black Friday…..EWR/SDQ
Full of Dominicans overloaded with Thanksgiving shopping
I will never again flight from EWR / STI too crowded.
From STI back to US the same.
I like MIA /STI better.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AGAIN not exactly correct. You need to dig deeper or travel more IMO. Rule is BOX is to be factory sealed. Not weighing more than 50 pounds. For those BOXES weighing 50-71 pounds there is a overweight charge of $150.00. BOXES over 70 pound NOT accepted. BOXES over 61 linear inches NOT accepted.
I've done it in the past loaded with items of charity. And I'm sure it is not bc I am Mosiac status as the rule is for JetBlue general pop.
I used to travel by air 3 times a month for my job. Travel by air sucks now. I also have little reason to travel with any frequency since I retired in 2003. I am "already there".

Your elite status lets you fly with boxes? Great. How wonderful for you. They make exceptions for charitable goods? Wonderful as well, but that is not the point here, those are infrequent exceptions to the rule.

The vast majority of people cannot fly with boxes on most airlines to the DR for those holiday exemptions. Your posting that boxes are possible is therefor misleading to the general population.