customs gift value limits

snowbrat85

Sep 6, 2014
im not sure if the limit has gone up since my last trip but does anyone know the rules about bringing in gifts through customs? now that's its deemed Christmas season wha tis the monetary limit on gifts before a tax needs to be assessed, or should i "hide" that its a gift

Reactions: CristoRey

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Tourist always can bring gift with a max value of 500.00 dollars. The grace that will start in December only apply for Dominicans living aboard and that have over 6 months that do not visit the country.

Llast year the amount was 3,000.00 dollars but goverment said this year will increase the amount but didnt say how much.

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Keep in mind the customs allowed amount is much lower if receiving the package by mail. $200.00 or less.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Landing with more than 2 phones is a problem, If custom find out will want to make you pay taxes.
The ONLY time you can have any problem with cell phones are if in a box or 4 or 5 or more. And you have one in a pocket and 2 in a suitcase would be hard to find anyway.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The ONLY time you can have any problem with cell phones are if in a box or 4 or 5 or more. And you have one in a pocket and 2 in a suitcase would be hard to find anyway.
I am Lucky always take two or there in my suitcase, old cellphones to give away.
Never miss one of them.

JJ

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Concur . I never had a problem bringing in more than one phone .....lets talk about the overstay chart lol

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

Can you keep the box elsewhere in your luggage (separate from the phone)? Or do you need to get rid of the box completely?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I always get a porter, one of the guys in white shirts, to go through customs, and I almost never get stopped. They are all friends with the customs guys, who know that stopping them means delaying them from earning the next tip. As you go into the baggage hall they ask if you need help and you say yes. You just tip them when you get out, I usually give US$ 10 for a couple of bags.

The last trip, everyone was in one line and the porter walked past them, went to a closed desk where a woman was doing paperwork, she just glanced up, smiled and me and waved us through. The time before, we were in the line, the customs guy saw us, he pulled the two people in front of us over for a check and then waved us on. Both times, the porter had been chatting to me and had said that we wouldn't be stopped.

I would suggest you put the phone in your handbag (purse), they have never asked me to empty my handbag or put it through the scanner. Or in your pocket if you have one, again they have never asked me to empty my pockets.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Everything goes thru the x-rays at Santiago, porter or no porter. If you have a bunch of phones, keep them in your pockets. You would be surprised how many things you can fit in cargo pants and a suit jacket.

Jan 9, 2004
Everything goes thru the x-rays at Santiago, porter or no porter. If you have a bunch of phones, keep them in your pockets. You would be surprised how many things you can fit in cargo pants and a suit jacket.

Came through STI last week and for the first time in all my years of flying here, no matter what airport, they sent my luggage through x-ray…..

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I always get a porter, one of the guys in white shirts, to go through customs, and I almost never get stopped. They are all friends with the customs guys, who know that stopping them means delaying them from earning the next tip. As you go into the baggage hall they ask if you need help and you say yes. You just tip them when you get out, I usually give US$ 10 for a couple of bags.

The last trip, everyone was in one line and the porter walked past them, went to a closed desk where a woman was doing paperwork, she just glanced up, smiled and me and waved us through. The time before, we were in the line, the customs guy saw us, he pulled the two people in front of us over for a check and then waved us on. Both times, the porter had been chatting to me and had said that we wouldn't be stopped.

I would suggest you put the phone in your handbag (purse), they have never asked me to empty my handbag or put it through the scanner. Or in your pocket if you have one, again they have never asked me to empty my pockets.
Gospel.:cool: