Danilo Medina is back in the DR

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Danilo-Medina-Abel-Martinez-El-Dia-1024x700.png

Former President Danilo Medina (2012-2016 and 2016-2020) returned in time to attend mass for the deceased mother of PLD pre-candidate, Abel Martinez. Medina had explained he traveled to the United States to treat health problems. As reported, Medina underwent radiotherapy treatment in the United States to treat the prostate cancer he was diagnosed with.

Medina himself has said that he is responding adequately to the treatment, which according to his doctors, will allow him to adequately overcome the condition.

Medina traveled on 4 April 2023 to Miami, Florida. Prostate cancer is the most diagnosed cancer in the world after breast cancer and is more frequent after the age of 70.

The media reported that he appeared in good physical condition in his first public appearance. He has shaved his mustache.

As reported, once in the Dominican Republic, Medina has held...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Gosh he has aged a lot recently. Look at him in that photo you can see that he has been struggling with illness.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
To me it's his skin. His face looks drawn and his skin is grey and kind of hanging off him. Just looks like a sad old man now.

Cynical me wonders whether he will be tried in court before he pegs it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Abel can't be happy about what's going on with his campaign.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Cynical me wonders whether he will be tried in court before he pegs it.
He'll be tried in a court of law on the 12th of Never, or on February 31st, or cuando Colón baje el deo, or el 15 de notiembre, or la semana de los 7 jueves, or when the lights go on at Wrigley Field... oh! Wait: 8.8.'88 came and went. So, I guess he'll never be tried.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
He'll be tried in a court of law on the 12th of Never, or on February 31st, or cuando Colón baje el deo, or el 15 de notiembre, or la semana de los 7 jueves, or when the lights go on at Wrigley Field... oh! Wait: 8.8.'88 came and went. So, I guess he'll never be tried.

Or if he is, he'll be tried in the same court as his sister is being tried in, where the judge is the sister of someone's best friend.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
He had cancer folks. Is he supposed to be on the cover of GQ. Regarding if he will be tried for high crimes, there is no difference between one political party to the next, only better marketing.

I think Abinader is a saint compared to Danilo. At least Abinader is trying not to be corrupt, surely you can see that things are getting better?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I think Abinader is a saint compared to Danilo. At least Abinader is trying not to be corrupt, surely you can see that things are getting better?
Example? I see fail on infrastructure, only tourism betterment, but for the poor? No water, no light, food costs that are starving the common folk. Give me a break! Does Luis seem more likable, yes.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Example? I see fail on infrastructure, only tourism betterment, but for the poor? No water, no light, food costs that are starving the common folk. Give me a break! Does Luis seem more likable, yes.
I'm talking about eliminating corruption. Clearly the cost of food is an international problem and not one that Abinader or anyone can easily control, he also can't control how often it rains and therefore why the country is so short of water. All Danilo seemed to control, to me, is how much money he and his family stuck in their back pockets. Even the infrastructural improvements were a way to syphon money out of Odebrecht, although admittedly they did accidently improve the infrastructure as a result.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I'm talking about eliminating corruption. Clearly the cost of food is an international problem and not one that Abinader or anyone can easily control, he also can't control how often it rains and therefore why the country is so short of water. All Danilo seemed to control, to me, is how much money he and his family stuck in their back pockets. Even the infrastructural improvements were a way to syphon money out of Odebrecht, although admittedly they did accidently improve the infrastructure as a result.
Do you really think for one moment we are making progress eliminating corruption? How much did Danilo pocket, Hipólito? How have they (past administrations) profited from the role over the decades? how much money is sitting in warehouses from the failed school tablet program? Millions, I think billions per a recent article in DL. Because we're going after political opponents is in no way eliminating corruption. You're smarter than that, you must be. What it is doing is setting a precedent for future administrations! How do magicians pull off their acts? Let's get down to brass tacks.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Do you really think for one moment we are making progress eliminating corruption? How much did Danilo pocket, Hipólito? How have they (past administrations) profited from the role over the decades? how much money is sitting in warehouses from the failed school tablet program? Millions, I think billions per a recent article in DL. Because we're going after political opponents is in no way eliminating corruption. You're smarter than that, you must be. What it is doing is setting a precedent for future administrations! How do magicians pull off their acts? Let's get down to brass tacks.

Honestly I do think we are. I see a big shift in culture in how public bodies are being run these days, it's definitely a thing that corruption is far less on the ground. I got three permissions recently without having to give a cent in backhanders. That's a first for me. Look at the massive increase in tax revenues because companies are now paying their taxes. Even the Chinese shops will give you a comprobante fiscal these days. I'm not seeing the police doing so many road-stops, and they are being paid an almost liveable wage these days. Almost. I got two questionnaires last week asking me what I thought about the service I had received from government bodies. I made a noise report on the police app over the weekend and the noise stopped within 30 minutes.

Things are definitely changing at least they are in the capital.

I think a lot of this is because Abinader has been very very vocal about eliminating corruption, whereas Danilo never said so much about this. A lot of these government departments have had a massive clear-out in terms of staff and there are far less people on botellas than previously. And irrespective of whether the ministers are corrupt or not, at a lower level the corruption is being eliminated, people are scared of accepting backhanders.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Honestly I do think we are. I see a big shift in culture in how public bodies are being run these days, it's definitely a thing that corruption is far less on the ground. I got three permissions recently without having to give a cent in backhanders. That's a first for me. Look at the massive increase in tax revenues because companies are now paying their taxes. Even the Chinese shops will give you a comprobante fiscal these days. I'm not seeing the police doing so many road-stops, and they are being paid an almost liveable wage these days. Almost. I got two questionnaires last week asking me what I thought about the service I had received from government bodies. I made a noise report on the police app over the weekend and the noise stopped within 30 minutes.

I think a lot of this is because Abinader has been very very vocal about eliminating corruption, whereas Danilo never said so much about this. A lot of these government departments have had a massive clear-out in terms of staff and there are far less people on botellas than previously. And irrespective of whether the ministers are corrupt or not, at a lower level the corruption is being eliminated, people are scared of accepting backhanders.
I think Dominicans are hoping for improvements in health care, education and cost of living. So when that increased tax revenue has an impact on the life of the majority of Dominicans maybe you can say things are better.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How about giving out more titles to families than all other presidents combined? Non-stop paving of roads? Upgrading of water supplies for remote communities?

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
How about giving out more titles to families than all other presidents combined? Non-stop paving of roads? Upgrading of water supplies for remote communities?
barely. Once again, light is worse than ever. Water also. Cost of food the poor can't afford. The middle class is eating eggs and rice.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

I think you and JD are handwaiving this

Reactions: aarhus