Daughter/Son in-law family - Ladies only forum

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, I've never seen the show, link explains the situation well.

To those who watch this show, do the couples ever have normal, successful marriages? Probably not, would be too boring and result in low ratings.

Of course all of the couples have problems. Most are cultural differences. One couple is in the process of divorce. The woman is much older than the husband. In this case the woman is more than a little strange. Another couple is separated and headed for divorce also.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, You were lucky because of your husband's upbringing. Also, it was a time before sankies were in full force. AND You are a smart woman.
Not ALL Dominicans are sankies!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have hundreds lol. The cultural issues are immense. The main ones are the sending money home to the family, which many foreign women will not accept, and the inability on the part of the Dominican man to manage money. In addition, many ladies talk about Dominican culture saying "It is wrong" because they are not used to it, rather than accepting it "as different".

I know you have hundreds of stories. After all we lived in the same town. ha ha Plus you belong to some groups that deal with it.
I rarely intervened in the bad relationships I knew of in the DR. Once when the woman was being physically abused by her sanki I did try to counsel her. ( Since I did write a book about domestic violence and counseled a few women). She eventually moved on when she realized she was broke in more ways than one.
I understand some of the culture. It doesn't mean I have to like it. Sharing money with family is fine as long as it isn't excessive. I understand the cheating because it goes on around the world. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think the concept is flawed - giving people just 90 days to marry is too much pressure. Usually first chance for a Dominican, to leave the country, foreign wife been here to an all inclusive for a couple of weeks. There is no way they should get married so quickly. In the UK it is 6 months you have to get married - I don't think Canada has a fiance visa.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Now I want to watch that show :)

Sounds entertaining.

I come from a culture where kids are expected to take care of their parents and family. It s not always easy, it s an extra pressure, but it is what it is. I see it as a way to give back for the sacrifices they made for me, I send money monthly to my mom. She doesn't even need it, but if it makes her happy, I suck it up. Some of my friends are shocked, but it is hard to get away from it when that s how you were raised.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I asked Dominican husband why the MIL would have cooked that meal of chicken's feet and gizzards and I expected some deep meaningful cultural reply. Answer: "Because she is evil."

Sorted.

Matilda

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't see it quite as drastic. Its a tv show. You can bet that the producers asked the family to cook the most exotic stuff to shock the girls family. I saw the same in a german tv show where the girl was sent to help with lunch preparation..would not help for real in the DR..Its all scripted

I agree. It sounds like a strange thing to do for a first time meeting. People usually just want their guests to have a nice meal and the best meat possible. Even if there is a little discontent, it's not the time to get the claws out.....YET!

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
There have been a smattering of successful couples on this show - usually ones who have lived together overseas first before returning to the US. But happy ole boring couples don't make for good TV drama, do they? ;)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
What is reality TV without a bit of drama thrown in...lol. Interesting though with the DR/American couple that their storyline is typical of the reputation that some have of relationships with Dominicans. Maybe the producers were followers of the Mars/Venus forum here on DR1..lol. Serving chicken feet as Matilda's husband stated was just the added evil thrown in.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Jealousy among Dominican women and mothers is a strange thing here. I was lucky as my husband's mother passed away when she was in her mid 40s, hepatitis and his father the year before I met him, he was 80 and the reason he died was "he stopped breathing" so I never had to deal with the parents. Danilo didn't have the money to take his Dad properly to the capital where his grave site was ready, so they dressed him and put him in the back seat of a car. They were stopped on the bridge and Amet said "that guy in the back seat doesn't look well", Danilo said he was drunk and they let them go .... to bury him.

I am still waiting for the stepsons I raised to help me financially lol.

Matilda

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Me and my MIL have a good relationship. But I do not know what she may say behind closed doors...lol. Dominican culture can be tricky. You think you have it figured out and then something new arises. When I met my spouse his family all had visas to the US. Back then where my spouse is from being married to a American was a novelty. But because the family had traveled to the US many times they had a good idea of the American culture. So there never was a "clash of cultures" as some others may have experienced. I of course experienced that learning curve as many do when they move to the DR but my spouses family were very helpful. It would be very difficult to maintain a good marriage if there was not a good relationship with my spouses family.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Me and my MIL have a good relationship. But I do not know what she may say behind closed doors...lol.
Yes! On the surface we get on well enough - but I do wonder what they say about me when I'm out of earshot. We have some cultural elements in common - as someone who grew up in different countries with relatives scattered across the world there are not many people on this earth I would have that much in common with anyway.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I am sure I have been called the crazy gringa once or twice...lol.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
His sisters (2) used to come to the house and cook all my food and wash all my clothes which were clean, and wash the whole house. I went crazy till I realised that this is the way of saying thank you. They don't bring flowers they just clean for you and now I love it. If I have visitors I invite his family so I know the house will be clean before the visitors come.

Matilda

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
His sisters (2) used to come to the house and cook all my food and wash all my clothes which were clean, and wash the whole house. I went crazy till I realised that this is the way of saying thank you. They don't bring flowers they just clean for you and now I love it. If I have visitors I invite his family so I know the house will be clean before the visitors come.

Matilda
It has taken years, but I am starting to adjust to this. I always felt like it was my mother-in-law's way of saying that I wasn't cleaning properly, or that I was a bad host. I would get up at 7am just to mop the floors and clean the (already clean) house so that she wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
It has taken years, but I am starting to adjust to this. I always felt like it was my mother-in-law's way of saying that I wasn't cleaning properly, or that I was a bad host. I would get up at 7am just to mop the floors and clean the (already clean) house so that she wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If they clean your house, there is a very good chance they think it's not properly clean.....and they might have told other people about it too.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Watched it yesterday. Pedro met with Chantal's dad and brother to talk about what happened. They met at El Conuco..lol. It is always interesting when your watching a program and you say to yourself, I know that restaurant, I know that street, I have been to that store, etc...

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Finally watched this week's episode...it amazes me how two people get married without having the financial conversation. Especially when one of them is basically required by culture to send home 'remittances'. Chantal is upset by how much he's sending home and yet it was her that bought the laptop for his mother when Pedro asked her to. Since she didn't set a limit before the wedding, that would have been the perfect opportunity to talk about a set amount; one that they could both live with.

Starting on a lie. His jealousy. Her need to party. Families at war. No agreement about money. I think it will take a miracle or a major turnaround for Chantal and Pedro to make it.