Daughter/Son in-law family - Ladies only forum

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Danielle looks like she could be Mohamed's mom. He obviously married her for the green card!

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
It's definitely mindless tv...and some scenes are so obviously staged. Like others have said earlier in this thread, who serves chicken feet to guests on their first visit to the DR??? Producer driven for sure.

My Dominican husband doesn't like the portrayal of his country, of course...and I have to admit that it didn't cross my mind that some people might think ALL Dominican households are like that of Pedro's family. So while I initially thought of it as harmless, tv fun, he points out the downside.

Why is it that one Dominican on an American TV show somehow becomes representative of his entire country?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This one is for you AE ;)

My Dominican husband doesn't like the portrayal of his country, of course...and I have to admit that it didn't cross my mind that some people might think ALL Dominican households are like that of Pedro's family. So while I initially thought of it as harmless, tv fun, he points out the downside.

Why is it that one Dominican on an American TV show somehow becomes representative of his entire country?

The same people who believes that Jersey shore or The Sopranos are a reflection of Italian-American. :p

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It's definitely mindless tv...and some scenes are so obviously staged. Like others have said earlier in this thread, who serves chicken feet to guests on their first visit to the DR??? Producer driven for sure.

I can understand why your husband would not like the show. Anyone not knowing the country might think it represents the whole country.
I know Dominican families from a variety of backgrounds. The educated hard working ones dislike the ones who make the country look bad by using people. My immediate friends do not  live like that nor do they associate with anyone who does.
Because I lived in a resort/tourist town I knew MANY who acted like Pedro and his family. From what I saw on a daily basis the show does clearly represent the user mentality of Dominicans.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
While it is reality TV, it does have some truth to it. It is all fun on vacation, etc...but once reality sets in its another story. Rather then getting to know someone, their culture, family, etc... they prefer to jump into the immigration process. As for Pedro and Chantal, he may have short term goals. Work in the US, get some good money together and go back to the DR. Chantal really did not spend enough time getting to know Pedro. But it is still entertaining to watch...lol

As a side note...Danielle and Mohamed...are you kidding??? That relationship is the "poster child" for all that is wrong with the fiancé visa process..

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
hahaha did you watch last year with Nicole and Azan? I was genuinely frightened for her spending that time in Morocco!!! I'm guessing her family breathed a sigh of relief when she didn't qualify for the fiance visa!!

As for Pedro? If his sister didn't have the same eyes as him, I would think she was his wife...the way she's so demanding and arrogant about the stuff he's required to provide her!!!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
hahaha did you watch last year with Nicole and Azan? I was genuinely frightened for her spending that time in Morocco!!! I'm guessing her family breathed a sigh of relief when she didn't qualify for the fiance visa!!

As for Pedro? If his sister didn't have the same eyes as him, I would think she was his wife...the way she's so demanding and arrogant about the stuff he's required to provide her!!!

Well... ummmm that has happened before. I know 2 women who were in relationships with sankies. They presented their wives as his sisters. Many introduced the wife as a cousin. It is not uncommon. Plus the whole family goes along with the lie. I am talking real life, not 90 day visa.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well... ummmm that has happened before. I know 2 women who were in relationships with sankies. They presented their wives as his sisters. Many introduced the wife as a cousin. It is not uncommon. Plus the whole family goes along with the lie. I am talking real life, not 90 day visa.

There is a sankette that we have as a neighbor, married with a couple of kids. She used to go to Sosua for 'the season', her husband and family stayed home, and she hooked a Canadian guy. He sent her money every month, came to DR and took her on vacations to nice hotels, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. Introduced her husband as her brother, and her kids as his. Entire extended family was in on it. This went on for several years, until one of her beloved family members took him on the side and told him the truth. That was the end of that relationship. Now she's older and not as cute, works as a maid in Santo Domingo.

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Oh I've definitely seen that act played out before myself...that's why it made me wonder. BUT she has the same eyes as Pedro so I guess she's just his very entitled, very arrogant, very opinionated sister.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well today I was scanning the channel guide waiting for dinner to cook. Lo and behold, there it was, 90 Day Fiance. I made it through most of the episode [I fast forwarded through the other couples]. I got to the scene with Chantel's father trying to make Pedro understand that it is not okay that his mother is in a beautiful 3 bedroom apartment and Chantel is sleeping in the kitchen [I presume they live in an efficiency]. Pedro's mind is closed, doesn't bode well for these two.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
There is a sankette that we have as a neighbor, married with a couple of kids. She used to go to Sosua for 'the season', her husband and family stayed home, and she hooked a Canadian guy. He sent her money every month, came to DR and took her on vacations to nice hotels, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. Introduced her husband as her brother, and her kids as his. Entire extended family was in on it. This went on for several years, until one of her beloved family members took him on the side and told him the truth. That was the end of that relationship. Now she's older and not as cute, works as a maid in Santo Domingo.

That's unusual isn't it? Why did they cut the money flow? Was it someone in the family that didn't profit from the relationship and or was jealous?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
That's unusual isn't it? Why did they cut the money flow? Was it someone in the family that didn't profit from the relationship and or was jealous?

It is usually jealousy when they spill the beans. Happens a lot, and sometimes they lie as they are envious of someone else's success.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Jealousy. That family fights over everything. They steal from each other. They physically beat one another. How dare she have a Canadian boyfriend and they don't?  

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I finally watched the finale of 90 Day Fiance last night. Was anyone else surprised to see that Pedro's mother was a lawyer?? Do lawyers make decent money in the DR?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
They can make decent money yes, especially if they handle cases for foreigners.

Matilda