Day to Day Food Choices

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thought I'd throw this out there and see what happens.

We've been having a discussion about the great restaurants here, but lets get down to brass tacks.

I always have a roasted chicken in my home. Usually from Sirena, sometimes from Bravo (Bravo is insane expensive for roasted chicken)

I've found the trick is to get one that doesn't have carbon black wings. lol (I've complained to them more than once and indeed they have gotten better)

Sirena also offers pretty good stuff from their kitchen.

Today I had chicken livers. It was a 4 oz serving (Just the right size) and the cost? 40 pesos. And to top it off, it's very good.

Their ribs are good when they are available but choose carefully. They're usually in serving sizes of one big or two medium ribs.

There's lots of other choices, but stay away from their egg selection - scrambled are always floating in oil, and fried eggs are.. well... definitely fried.

Their mango is really good, and the sancocho ain't have bad either.

Everything they offer is in single serving size.

I have a lot of other favorites, but this is a start.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Thought I'd throw this out there and see what happens.

We've been having a discussion about the great restaurants here, but lets get down to brass tacks.

I always have a roasted chicken in my home. Usually from Sirena, sometimes from Bravo (Bravo is insane expensive for roasted chicken)

I've found the trick is to get one that doesn't have carbon black wings. lol (I've complained to them more than once and indeed they have gotten better)

Sirena also offers pretty good stuff from their kitchen.

Today I had chicken livers. It was a 4 oz serving (Just the right size) and the cost? 40 pesos. And to top it off, it's very good.

Their ribs are good when they are available but choose carefully. They're usually in serving sizes of one big or two medium ribs.

There's lots of other choices, but stay away from their egg selection - scrambled are always floating in oil, and fried eggs are.. well... definitely fried.

Their mango is really good, and the sancocho ain't have bad either.

Everything they offer is in single serving size.

I have a lot of other favorites, but this is a start.
What are you looking for here? Our favorite selection from the La Sirena hot buffet?

Reactions: flyinroom

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have been fighting/losing the battle of the bulge since I was 8 years old. I try to cook and eat at home at least 5 days a week if not 6. That is the only way I can keep some semblance of control. So far, I've lost 15 with 22 to go.

I bring that up because cooking at home helps me to lose weight. I tried keto and didn't like it, but if I keep carbs around 80-90g/day it seems to work. No desserts, breads, potatoes. Lots of meat and some canned tuna.

When I go out though it's different. I will get a steak with potatoes plus a salad. It's a vice I can live with if it's only once a week.

Rotisserie chicken is not on my preferred list. But I do like Pluyer Pollos pork ribs. But for those, just once a month.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I agree with El Hijo on this one.
I'm a little sensitive on the topic because I posted in another thread about... "whatever you love in the D.R." and my post got deleted.
Probably because it wasn't about a flower.
It was about music.
I just thought...whatever.
Like it said in the title of the thread.
But...
I digress.
I see that Nan has gone general and I like that direction as I'm sure others will.
I'll hold off a little and see how it works out. (I'm dying to share my cauliflower steak recipe and my poached chicken.)

• Wow
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree with El Hijo on this one.
I'm a little sensitive on the topic because I posted in another thread about... "whatever you love in the D.R." and my post got deleted.
Probably because it wasn't about a flower.
It was about music.
I just thought...whatever.
Like it said in the title of the thread.
But...
I digress.
I see that Nan has gone general and I like that direction as I'm sure others will.
I'll hold off a little and see how it works out. (I'm dying to share my cauliflower steak recipe and my poached chicken.)
Fly, I'm touched. Are you on step 9? Regardless, good start to whatever JD envisioned as a thread. I do love cauliflower.

Since i have 2 kids i stick to old fashioned basics. Weeknight simple pasta Bolognese, tuna melts, pita pizzas and oven roasted bird. I eat me a rare Angus ribeye every so often, black cast iron skillet by Lodge.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What are you looking for here? Our favorite selection from the La Sirena hot buffet?
From anywhere, Kimosabe. Purchased or made at home. Great economical food.

And FWIW, Both Sirena and especially JUMBO have a pretty good variety of food prepared daily. A special nod for Jumbo's Paella and one I really miss was their Roasted pig every Sunday morning. Good eatin' for sure.

• Love
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
From anywhere, Kimosabe. Purchased or made at home. Great economical food.

And FWIW, Both Sirena and especially JUMBO have a pretty good variety of food prepared daily. A special nod for Jumbo's Paella and one I really miss was their Roasted pig every Sunday morning. Good eatin' for sure.
Tough to do economy for me. The food i ate when i was a kid because we were poor is super expensive here today. For economy we stick to beans Dominican style for the noon meal, chicken from the pollera here is 80/pound. Rice, salad. Dinner is my meal so i make stuff i was raised on or my personal wants. Last night a speghetti puttanesca with capers and Roland kalamata olives and anchovies. Fyi a jar of Roland kalamata is 400+ pesos!!!

Reactions: keepcoming

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Old fashion oatmeal with raisins for breakfast 4 days a week and fruit batida the other three day, plus coffee of course. Lunch moro and salad, sometimes eggplant and either chicken or beef. Almost never take out or restaurant. Chicken soup every Saturday, Pasta with tuna or salmon with veggies every Sunday. If we get take out it is carbon chicken with pork ribs. 300 pesos per serving. One of our ex students has a great business barbequing.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Old fashion oatmeal with raisins for breakfast 4 days a week and fruit batida the other three day, plus coffee of course. Lunch moro and salad, sometimes eggplant and either chicken or beef. Almost never take out or restaurant. Chicken soup every Saturday, Pasta with tuna or salmon with veggies every Sunday. If we get take out it is carbon chicken with pork ribs. 300 pesos per serving. One of our ex students has a great business barbequing.
Had some peanuts with raisins in a big bowl of Oatmeal the other day in a restaurant. Surprised me but darn they really were quite a compliment to the flavor.

Reactions: keepcoming

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
This is deserving of a "Like," but then you included the dreaded 'T' word.

Three things I DON'T eat: Hierro... por duro, caca... por blandita, y tuna... for its appearance, taste, and fetid and foul odor...

Reactions: zoomzx11

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is deserving of a "Like," but then you included the dreaded 'T' word.

Three things I DON'T eat: Hierro... por duro, caca... por blandita, y tuna... for its appearance, taste, and fetid and foul odor...
You aren't supposed to eat rotten tuna. Albacore tuna in water or olive oil is very good. Add some pepper and some smelly cheese to your Al Dente cooked pasta. Pesta added is also good. My first wife was Italian. I have no idea of all the things she put in pasta but it was all wonderful.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Tough to do economy for me. The food i ate when i was a kid because we were poor is super expensive here today. For economy we stick to beans Dominican style for the noon meal, chicken from the pollera here is 80/pound. Rice, salad. Dinner is my meal so i make stuff i was raised on or my personal wants. Last night a speghetti puttanesca with capers and Roland kalamata olives and anchovies. Fyi a jar of Roland kalamata is 400+ pesos!!!

This is off topic for this thread but generally speaking, we're 4 persons and a growing dog and the prices are completely out of control here... For food and for non-food... I have seen things up to 45 % increases on certain essentials that we as a family consume... The last couple of weeks, I have been afraid to go to the supermarket... I'd rather just not pay and get out but that would not be fair for the supermarket... So I just triple-check the price tags and purchase the largest containers available when it makes sense...

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
This is off topic for this thread but generally speaking, we're 4 persons and a growing dog and the prices are completely out of control here... For food and for non-food... I have seen things up to 45 % increases on certain essentials that we as a family consume... The last couple of weeks, I have been afraid to go to the supermarket... I'd rather just not pay and get out but that would not be fair for the supermarket... So I just triple-check the price tags and purchase the largest containers available when it makes sense...
i have noticed that my food basket is very much smaller now for the same money

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That is what is good about living in or near the countryside. There is a greater availability of cheaper fruit and vegetables;, chicken and pork as well. We are very fortunate that we have our own orange, lemon, guayaba, squash....etc and plenty of free stuff from clients and relatives. We buy about 700-800 pesos of veggies and fruit for four adults.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I only drink Cafe Bustelo. It is in the old world Cuban style expresso - cheap as dirt in NY. 350 to 400+ in DR for a 10oz can????

oh, and don't get me started on Tuna and Peanut Butter

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I eat oatmeal every day. Depending on my mood, I add whatever...fruit, nuts, honey, peanut butter, brown sugar, etc.. It is very filling and actually when I feel like something sweet I will have a bowl with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. Really don't drink coffee. I do make batidas and sometimes add a bit of oatmeal to them. I am a big salad eater however I do get the roasted chicken from La Sirena at times. I love cheese so that will be a snack for me. As I get older my diet has adjusted. Not too much read meat (if any although once in a while a good steak is in order), pork not so much. Pasta is my "love". A good pasta dish makes my day.