Day trip to Santiago for a baseball game

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Three of us (plus a hired driver) went to a game two years ago and it was amazing, such a great time. It's like being at a party and a baseball game breaks out.

I'd like to do it again, but make a day out of it, see the sites in Santiago during the day, then go to the game that night. There aren't any day games, so public transportation is out.

Does anyone know a good driver that could put a trip together at a decent price? Maybe there's a big baseball fan that would jump at getting their gas and ticket paid for plus something for their time?

We got 4 tickets, about 6 rows behind the dugouts/cheerleaders for 3400 pesos (box office was sold out for that area) ... I think box office price was 2800, so not bad.

I'm surprised a local bar doesn't put something together ... get a small bus trip going ... meet up at the bar, a little site seeing in Santiago, baseball game and back to the bar! Then again, why would a bar want to ship their paying customers to Santiago haha

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Three of us (plus a hired driver) went to a game two years ago and it was amazing, such a great time. It's like being at a party and a baseball game breaks out.

I'd like to do it again, but make a day out of it, see the sites in Santiago during the day, then go to the game that night. There aren't any day games, so public transportation is out.

Does anyone know a good driver that could put a trip together at a decent price? Maybe there's a big baseball fan that would jump at getting their gas and ticket paid for plus something for their time?

We got 4 tickets, about 6 rows behind the dugouts/cheerleaders for 3400 pesos (box office was sold out for that area) ... I think box office price was 2800, so not bad.

I'm surprised a local bar doesn't put something together ... get a small bus trip going ... meet up at the bar, a little site seeing in Santiago, baseball game and back to the bar! Then again, why would a bar want to ship their paying customers to Santiago haha

Send a PM to Cobraboy. He might know!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on where you are.

There are 4 pm games on Sundays and holidays.

In Santiago, you can go to the Centro Leon for some culture and some lunch. It is a class place.
The you can go to the downtown area, walk through the market on Sol Street for gee-gaws, and talk to Yubelkis for ambar or other stuff an know you will get good prices and a fair deal. You need to ask for her.
Then you can go up to the Monument for a bit of history and sights. An interesting place and there is cold beer close by.
Early dinner or a good snack (not recommended to got to game on an empty stomach!!!) at any of 10 or 15 good places.

Send a note (PM) to "bachata" and see if he knows of anyone in your area who would like to do this. He knows drivers all over. And if you let me know ahead of time maybe I can get you good tickets at the right price. As a favor to baseball fans.

Cordially,

HB

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Awesome, thanks! Once we pinpoint a game or two, I'll definitely see if you're able to get tickets for us. Looking at the price chart, where we say, they are 600 pesos, but they weren't available at the box office and the guy selling them wasn't budging on his price.

I arrive in POP on Oct 20th (1 week AI with my brother, not sure if he'll want to do a game) ... then my wife lands Oct 27, we have a condo in Sosua for a week (she loves baseball and loved the game we went to)

We went straight to the game last time (I've never actually been to Santiago, so don't know it at all) ... 7PM start, but it was still in the 8th at midnight when we finally left ... it was a really long game.

Ice cold Presidentes, 40 pesos ... delicious enchiladas, 40 pesos ... the plantain and pork for 80 pesos was just okay (wouldn't get that again) ... but I'd much rather go out to dinner somewhere in Santiago ... there wasn't anything around the arena that we could find.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You may also want to consider staying overnight....there are several decent hotels in Santiago for around $50 a night...that way you could take your time in Santiago and even take the bus to and from Sosua if you'd like...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You may also want to consider staying overnight....there are several decent hotels in Santiago for around $50 a night...that way you could take your time in Santiago and even take the bus to and from Sosua if you'd like...

Now this is an excellent idea. When I stay in Santiago, I usually stay at the Colonial Hotel....very basic, close to the stadium air conditioning and cable tv for only $RD850 a night. Then you can take the Caribe tours or Metro bus back.....and a cab to the stadium is around $rd300,

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well Hammerdown, taxis are only 150 DOP to the ball park. and if I am taking my wife to Santiago and staying over night, I am going to go to the Hotel Los Jardines, which is within walking distance of either of the bus lines and much nicer neighborhood than the Colonial!!

And people here know I ALWAYS recommend Victor, L?zaro and the Colonial...it is a haven for many of my friends. But not on this occasion.

Besides anyone that comes to Santiago to see a ballgame, needs to visit me!! and the Jardines is closer to me...Okay??

Now, torrock, you listen, hear? try for a Friday, Sat or Sun game...with Licey will be the biggest crowd, the Estrellas, the fewest. Toros, Escogido and Gigantes are eehhhh??? So so...No matter. Easier seating, but not to worry, you pick a date as soon as you can and let me know. PAPA does know a few people...

FTI, there are NO places to eat near the ballpark...so you did not miss much but a bad case of the trots...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Kyle, I was going to go and get that schedule...It should be a "sticky" for the ball season.

HB

It is obvious from the schedule that the Aguilas play Wed Fri Sun or Wed Sat Sun on alternate weeks. Make your plans based on this. Doesn't really matter, since early in the season the crowds are fewer, even with Licey coming. The Toros (TE) are a good show and the rivalry is increasing.

Last edited:

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
I will be in POP the first week in October (3-10th), is there any organized youth games (between ages 10-16) in Puerto Plata?

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Thanks for the hotel tips, good to know for future baseball trips (or if I ever end up flying into Santiago)

It looks like we have a driver for this trip ... we're leaning towards Sun Oct 28th (but we haven't finalized that yet)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Torrock: That is a 5 p/m/ game. Get there early. Come down in the morning, do a bit of sight seeing. Eat a meal at the Pez Dorado or one of the other places...get to the ball park about 4:30....make friends with your section's "server" and tell him how many beers to bring you...and go from there. The Gigantes from San Francisco de Macoris will be in town...

After the game, enjoy a meal up by the Monument and then take a nice ride back home....Should be a wonderful day!! How many in your party??? Let me know, Please...

HB

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
HB, there would be four of us if we did Oct 28

Derfish, I might take you up on that offer if you're available for the Oct 21st game vs Licey (I'd have to check with my brother, but if he's in, it would just be the two of us)

I just uploaded a small video I took when we were at the game 2 years ago
DRbaseballgame - YouTube