Daytime Running Lights

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The other night coming back from dinner in Sosua I was pulled over by Digisett for not having a working left headlight.
I tried to explain to the guy politely (at first) that yes I know the LED DRL had burned out and I had just recently ordered a new headlight (should be here next week)
I then pointed to the actually working halogen headlights below the LED, both low and high beams were working, as well as the fog lamps in the lower bumper.
The nitwit still gave me a ticket.
They are "daytime running lights", not for meant for illuminating the road, but are for being seen by oncoming cars in the daytime.

Anyone else experience this or know the DR law?
Anyway I know it would not be possible to fight the ticket unless there was an informed Digisett supervisor who would reverse it.
I have video of the lights taken by my passenger during the stop

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
The other night coming back from dinner in Sosua I was pulled over by Digisett for not having a working left headlight.
I tried to explain to the guy politely (at first) that yes I know the LED DRL had burned out and I had just recently ordered a new headlight (should be here next week)
I then pointed to the actually working halogen headlights below the LED, both low and high beams were working, as well as the fog lamps in the lower bumper.
The nitwit still gave me a ticket.
They are "daytime running lights", not for meant for illuminating the road, but are for being seen by oncoming cars in the daytime.

Anyway I know it would not be possible to fight the ticket unless there was an informed Digisett supervisor who would reverse it.
I have video of the lights taken by my passenger during the stop
Thats nasty

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I got one about a week ago for having a broken right head light, i didn't bother trying to explain to him that it's a Japanese made Toyota and i can't find one here and i have to order one from Japan. I threw the ticket away.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You mean AMET is actually out working at night these days? I see countless cars at night in the Cabarete area with only one headlight - many of them are fairly new cars, too. Those new LED lights must be crap(?).

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
I was stopped by the 'readers' digisett about 3 years ago, right after I bought my car on the way to san pedro, I opened the glove box to grab paperwork and a copy of my passport info page and the cop noticed I had a pepper spray, he perked up and asked if it worked, I said I used one a 'chica de calle' in Boca Chica a few nights before and it seemed to work really well, he laughed and I gave it to him as my 'castigo'; ever since them I just drive by them when they're signaling to pullover

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
That happened to me as well many moons ago, a broken headlight. At that time I didn't have a DR license, I was driving around with my Swedish one. So they gave me a ticket, but didn't mention where or how to pay it and had also used my Swedish license number as the ID number, which I KNOW they don't have in any registry over here. So I just threw the ticket and nothing happened.

Why not just act like you don't understand anything? use that "Gringo" privilege to get out of the ticket :ROFLMAO:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That happened to me as well many moons ago, a broken headlight. At that time I didn't have a DR license, I was driving around with my Swedish one. So they gave me a ticket, but didn't mention where or how to pay it and had also used my Swedish license number as the ID number, which I KNOW they don't have in any registry over here. So I just threw the ticket and nothing happened.

Why not just act like you don't understand anything? use that "Gringo" privilege to get out of the ticket :ROFLMAO:
Supposedly, you cannot renew the marbete on your car if there are any outstanding, unpaid tickets(?).

Reactions: PCMike

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

The exact same thing happened here ...not worth trying to fight the ticket. Worst case scenario, just pay it and move on with life.

Misesposa had warned me about the lights ...didn't get round to it ...So, when I got pulled over, all I could think about was the drama I was going to get when I got home.

As the Digisett guy was writing the ticket, I tried to explain ...but no ...even dropped the whole "I see you guys at my gym" line, still nope, nada, zilch.🤬🤬

Anyway, the plan was just to quietly pay the ticket🤫....So, I got to the bank, and the dude took a look at it, then waved me on, said he couldn't find it in the system🤔😳........"Que tenga un buen día, señor".....Jackpot, I thought! .....Until, three days later, when she asks me why I was at the bank.... How on earth ??!,...Ay, dios mío!😬😖

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can we appeal to a higher up in Digisett who might actually know what a daytime running light is?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Daytine running lights are stupid. If you can’t see a car in broad daylight, you need to have eyes checked. lol The DR certainly doesn’t need daylight running lights, especially considering on average days are brighter in most days in the DR than in much of the USA/Canada.

In the USA you can tell what cars were imported from Canada* after they were bought, because often they have running daylights that you can’t turn on or off. It must be required in Canada (or maybe in some provibces.) I bet many then end up in the DR as one of those used cars imports.

* Always assume the car must be originally from Canada, like Canadian money which technically you aren’t suppose to use in the USA. Yet, 25 Canadian cents are actually accepted by parking meters in the USA, probably due that they are identical to 25 US cents except in the designs. The only time it doesn’t matter Queen Elizabeth’s face is on a coin instead of George Washington. lol

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have DRL's on my Toyota Camry. They're round, bright amber, lights. They're not intended to illuminate the road more during the day for the driver, they're there to make you more visible to other drivers. They're a safety feature. Studies have shown that they help to reduce accidents. I always have them on.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Daytine running lights are stupid. If you can’t see a car in broad daylight, you need to have eyes checked. lol The DR certainly doesn’t need daylight running lights, especially considering on average days are brighter in most days in the DR than in much of the USA/Canada.

In the USA you can tell what cars were imported from Canada* after they were bought, because often they have running daylights that you can’t turn on or off. It must be required in Canada (or maybe in some provibces.) I bet many then end up in the DR as one of those used cars imports.

* Always assume the car must be originally from Canada, like Canadian money which technically you aren’t suppose to use in the USA. Yet, 25 Canadian cents are actually accepted by parking meters in the USA, probably due that they are identical to 25 US cents except in the designs. The only time it doesn’t matter Queen Elizabeth’s face is on a coin instead of George Washington. lol
I was in Jarabacoa once where it the neblina looked like thin valley fog and DRL were not stupid

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was in Jarabacoa once where it the neblina looked like thin valley fog and DRL were not stupid
Now let everyone know how it is 99% of the time in the rest of the DR and in Jarabacoa.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have DRL's on my Toyota Camry. They're round, bright amber, lights. They're not intended to illuminate the road more during the day for the driver, they're there to make you more visible to other drivers. They're a safety feature. Studies have shown that they help to reduce accidents. I always have them on.
Like a Caribe Tours bus. They are visible alright and they will ram into you if you don’t get out of their way, especially on the highway. It brings a new meaning to “seeing the light” right before getting killed.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
As of late I actually prefer those with next to no lights over the super high-intensity lights these idiots are now blinding you with. Yet...no Digisett pulling anyone over for having illegally bright headlights...go figure.

Reactions: chico bill

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Daytime running lights may be helpful spotting those speed bumps that are always in the shade and hard to see.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Here's some examples of some more modern DRL's. They are not intended to illuminate anything including speed bumps in the shade or help you see through fog. They're intended to make you more visible to other drivers even on sunny days. Older versions, like mine, were round, low voltage, and dim headlights:

1711727323251.png

Reactions: malko