Dear all, its time to quit.

diego

Aug 16, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
good, bad, or indifferent.....the fact that I can read what you have to say here...says something.

Yes it does, on my original post.

Robert said:
Edited out. He in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
Last edited by Robert : Yesterday at 08:24 PM. .

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Diego what happened to you and your family when your house was raided was a horrible horrible thing to have lived through and I'm sure it will take a long time to heal and forget and I feel for you.

Now, I don't really think you are here because you are worried about DR1's ratings really are you?

I do wish you and your family the best.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I like cheese and grapes with my whine.

BushBaby said:
I don't have the time to wade through some of the childishness on some posts, so I don't know what & where you allude to. I looked briefly at the 'Ivan' thread, saw it was getting out of my interest level & thereafter ignored it. The same with the one where some girl was trying to find out about a hotel worker - in fact, the Sankie Forum is an out & out 'No No' as far as I am concerned (Sorry Anna). It is quite easy to by-pass threads & forums & generally they will continue until they find their own 'Breaking Point'! ~ Grahame.
I don't mean to pick you out Grahame, but your post links to what I see as hypocritical.

You say posts "get out of your interest level and thereafter ignored" and others are completely "ignored" and others are "quite easy to by-pass".

If that's the case - and I completely agree with you - then why get bothered by someone like CC? Ignore. Avoid. It's easy.

I search out CC's posts because they make me laugh.
Immature? Definitely!
Funny? You bet your arse! To each his/her own. He's made me shoot beer out my nose, and I've never met him.

If new posters preface posts with apologies, so be it. Any observer would note the validity and power some information contained here within carries. It's pretty impressive in some cases. I don't think that means this is a scary place. Perhaps intimidating, but how big does the search button have to be before we see the last "I want to move to the DR, how do I do it" thread?

We all come to DR1.com voluntarily, it's a public forum. No one has control over our sane actions but ourselves. Nothing is keeping us here except our interest. If that wanes, seek your interests elsewhere. You're a free being.

You think this place is so bad, you should see DR2.com!

You whiners sound like lawyers - and there is forum at DR1 for you too!

Bring your own cheese to go with your whine.

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Diego...Robert is sometimes a little cocky about his DR1 baby. But if you had met Robert, you would know what kind of person he is. I don't think you can find a nicer person. Anyone that knows him, will dismiss many of your comments.

Sometimes it does get a little rough here. I have sometimes in the past decided not to post a comment because I did not want to take the heat. But it is like standing in a group of people who are talking and you suddenly say, "I really thought Hitler did a good job". You are going to get some nasty stares, some rude comments, and you may even get punched. You put a lot of personal information out there. You think you are not going to get beat up sometimes? This isn't a discussion board of trained psychologist who sit there and say, "I see, and how does that make you feel". These people have opinions and they are going to let you know about them. They can say things here they can't in public. Nothing wrong with that.

DR1 is going to be here long after you are gone. Sorry, but your argument does sound like crying. If you are going to go then go with grace.

Curious to know why you did not point a finger at your "buddy" who was once the loudest and most rude person I ever met on a discussion board. Your buddy right?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
For information on the DR, DR1 is light years ahead of every other source. The posters have actually contributed to my well being. I HATE the NY Times' editorial policy, but the first thing I read on line every morning is their obituaries - that's what I use it for. Then I check out DR1 and see what the exchange rate is, and what's going on in Sosua. Sometimes, if my wife in Sosua needs some info. about doctors or stores or car repair, I get the info from the living section and call her with it from New York! You can't beat that.

Dr1 is not my social life, and yes I think some posts are obnoxious, but so what. It's a fantastic tool - period.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think it's clear that the OP needs to grow some thicker skin or else take up a vice or two that helps you to chill. Alcohol is enough for most people and there are other things that you can either get a perscription for or buy from a minority teenager if that isn't enough.

Consider the specifics of the situation we are in here, this is a country where most charities and public works are blatant pork barrels (I learned that term on DR1:glasses: ) and people promoting them almost universally have an agenda.

CC is a (I think retired) security professional whos lifelong vocation has taught him that it's always safest to assume the worst about everybody. With all the horrible things he probably assumes about most of us it's amazing he even talks to anybody at all.

I for one am immediatley suspicious of anybody wanting to start up a major "do gooder" project. That's not to say I think they're all a bunch of thieves, just that they seem to have a much better chance than your average Joe of being one.

Aside from all that when everybody starts being all nice and kind to each other here on DR1 it just gets unbearably boring.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Danny W said:
Dr1 is not my social life
It is part of mine.
I have met so many wonderful people, thanks to DR1, that I have come to consider a lot of them as family.
I know that DR1 is a business, but, and this is a big but...
What would we do without it?
Verizon is a business as well, but what would we do if we had no telephones and no internet?
Where is all the appreciation for all the good DR1 does?
(This is not directed at you, DannyW. I just needed your quote)
When you have a good thing, you had better protect it and keep it out of harm's way, if you want to continue benefiting from it.
It's time to stop complaining and start doing.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Whoever posts or reads on DR1 does it because he/she wants to. No one forces anyone to say anything or read anything they don't want to. Yes, sometimes conversations get heated up and people say pretty hateful things, :paranoid: but you have to take the good with the bad. Each person has his/her own opinion and as long as they're within the guidelines, they can express them here. Yes, sometimes some things get deleted out. Those that aren't happy can start their own website!

Many people have been helped by this website and now they in turn are helping others. Some do it just to get a kick out of ticking other people off but I think in general most people do it to help. Forget search engines and forget publicity. DR1 is what it is today because of what people have made it be.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Why can't we just be courteous

I remember last year when I asked a question (my first post), getting battered by some of the regulars here. It IS a shame because I almost turned tail and ran. Instead I put up a defense (As snide as the comments that I got) and earned a few points. But it is a shame for DR1 because I do not see the need for a long snide and crass post from a regular as a required initiation ritual.
I have been nailed by regulars for things like spelling errors, saying "THE " Dominican Republic and my opinions, dreams, ideas and aspirations. Nowadays I just chalk it up to idiots with nothing better to do than criticize people who have what THEY believe is a legitimate question or idea. The only STUPID Question is a question not asked...Most of these rude people normally hide behind a keyboard and try to impress their cronie friends with their amazing wit.
It is difficult for Robert and DR1 to monitor that 100% but I would suggest maybe a point system where these people are allowed to nail and criticise us regulars because we have the above opinions of you anyway , but if they should do it to a poster under say 25 posts then they should receive a private warning or a suspension..... because as much as DR1 needs US and the regulars , These people could not live without DR1 in their daily lives either.

I agree that it is a public forum and that all types of people and comments will
be posted here and at times it is not for the faint of heart but there is no need for rude comments to unknown users and it is NOT in DR1's interest to allow this activity. You need new subscribers.

I didn't understand the search button until about my 5th or 6th post . I was not and am not a regular forum user. Not all of us spend our days waiting for someone to ask a silly question so we can impress our friends.

I have received alot of great advice on here and I also disagree with alot of things on here but I will only ignore rude people and comments now and Always try to help new posters.

All the traffic driving in the world and all of the links in the world is null and void if people are not made to feel welcome and treated courteously at least until they are "in the zone".

We should try to keep the snide remarks off of New posters and simple direct people to the search button to answer questions that have been repeated ........ the search IS an an excellent tool for any new user or person with interest on DR1.

A little courtesy goes a long way.......

Hope I didn't make any speling mistakes !

(Bracing for the hate mail)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Sorry, have to disagree.

Without the ability to Pwn n00bs, the internet is pointless.

Ur a n00b, you get Pwned. Don't wanna get Pwned? Don't be a n00b.

I would hate for my l33t hax0r skilz do be wasted.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When I want to leave a BBS, I just leave.

No drama.

But that's just me.

I appreciate those who have free sites to pick others' brains. It's their site, their work, they get to do whatever the f*** they want with it.

This site is about the most calm, relaxed, and respectful site I visit. But opinions vary.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I debated on if to reply or not to this thread. As a relative newbie and not really part of the community yet, but working on it, I can agree with almost all of the posters so far. Yes the board can get ugly sometimes and yes I don't think we always treat each other with respect, and yes that is unfortunatly the way of the world. However haveing said all of that the board can be a terrific sourse of information and socialization. I have gotten loads of good advice from the long time posters ard rarely a rude comment. But the good vastly outweighs the bad. Many times when crusing the messages I will just ignore the catfighting and move on to more interesting reading.
I have "met" some on the board that I have are already met in real time, and I have "met" others that I am looking forward to meeting over the next phase of my life. Then of course there are others that I have "met" that I have no desire to meet.
It is like choosing friends. You meet many and know a few. So overall I think the board is a good thing, but it is a public forum and you get all kinds contributing. Sometimes that makes for interesting interactions. Think how boring life would be if everyone aggreed with you.
Boy this is the longest post I have ever made. So thanks for reading it.
Now with all that being said Can't anyone help me get my wine into the country.:ermm:

Bob K

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
diego said:
Just like the old saying goes ?Offence is the best Defense?
Defend you?re buddies all you want, they are still full of it and you know it.
Both combined have over 8000 postings mostly insulting YOUR Visitors.
Look at it this way, there is a very large mall where DR1 has a small store, thousands of websites send you potential buyers, they enter the DR1 store and ask the helpful people in there some questions, most people answer to the best of their ability and are trying to help. But then you have a few Guys in there jumping all over your Visitors and possible Purchasers of you?re products, or the products of Companies paying you to advertise on your site.
Now if I was one of your new Visitors I would get the hell out of your Store.
Your still here? My guess is that this store is pretty tolorent of some people that come into it. The new visitor and posting stuff we have covered many times. Use the search function to dig up those posts.

diego said:
Let me explain something to you, and I try and keep it simple
Lots of traffic from many websites means recognition by search engines.
So the traffic and ranking you get is not because you?re a genius at submitting your website or writing code, it?s because there are thousands of sites sending you Visitors.

Over the last 2 Months DR1 went up 2,099 positions to an all time high of 12725 on the Alexa Rating chart, but today?s position of DR1 is only 20,334
Wait till your advertisers find out that your'e traffic is going down.
Hahaha... Very funny! If you knew anything about SEO you would know that Alexa is as worthless as HITS as an indicator of web traffic.
HITS = How Idiots Track Success.

If you would like to get into long debates and discussions on SEO or SEM etc etc. Please post them at Webmaster World (http://www.webmasterworld.com/) I hang out there when I'm not on DR1.

diego said:
This just show?s you how trigger happy you are with the delete button.
Maybe calling you Napoleon was not right.
Maybe I should call you Hitler since anybody you don?t like you just delete.
Have I deleted you yet?
Do you let anyone into your house or do you have doors and fences?
Your free to leave here at anytime.

diego said:
Yes I do he is my Partner, and I am glad you brought this up.
Let me bring you up to speed
There where 3 lengthy post about me, you deleted one of them entirely
My good friend scotty who attended my Wedding and then started the Thread in question refrained from posting here for 2 or 3 months, and now every time he posts I hear a big sucking sound.
Maybe my speakers are not working right, but I can't hear any sucking sounds. Nobody is forced to post on DR1, if you have problem here, don't post. Then again, maybe we are like "Crack", take it once, addicted for life.

diego said:
Martin Dorst who started the legal stuff against my Partner and me is now in Jail.
His Helper in Cabarete is now in Jail. His Lawyer here in Sosua lost his License.
The Reporter who reported this to channel 5 with the dramatic picture he took of all my CD?S and my Kids Computers is now in Jail.
The Boss of the DNI police lost his Job over the whole Affair.
The 24 year old Minor Prostitute is now a happy Mother, and what we didn?t know at the time was that my wife was pregnant as well, but she lost her Baby 2 weeks before Christmas.
Thanks for reminding me.
Diego

Seriously, I'm glad it all worked out, nothing worse than being falsely accused.

Diego, I look forward to your next post on DR1. The "Crack Pipe" of the Caribbean!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
If you are going to go, just go already.:sleep:

I am still trying to get over the trauma of thinking that NALs was leaving.:rolleyes:
Thank goodness people were able to convince him to change his mind and stay against his will.:rolleyes:

Diego, is there something wrong with your ignore feature?
If not, I would suggest that you have a talk with whoever is forcing you to keep reading their posts.:tired: :confused:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
Tomorrow is another day and we will have drama of another type, that's how it is.

I think the moderators are doing an outstanding job and have no plans to change anything.

Very true about dramas each day, Robert. And talk of leaving the board has never been much of a threat. Nobody is indispensible.

I certainly don't want to appear to be siding with diego, because I am not. But, having been reading threads for a long time, my sense is that the moderators may be more tolerant now than after the transition from the old format. This is not meant as criticism, just an observation. Moderators who were part of the transition relax with time, and newer moderators who were not part of the previous board are less sensitive. This is understandable. My only thought is that since in this thread there have been a few posts by posters not known to be whiners or cry babies indicating that the board may be slowly moving toward what we tried to get away from with this new format, that it would be appropriate for those controlling the red pencil to keep this in mind when reading and moderating the posts.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi Ken,

The old format Webbs board we last used over 5 years ago.
Back then, only myself and Dolores moderated the board.
We have only been using moderators since the new format.

Some people think we moderate too hard on posters, others think we are soft. You can never win, you just try and keep the balance.

Like most large message boards, it is constantly evolving.
It ebbs and flows, new people come, old people go, its the natural evolution of any community, DR1 is no different. These types of threads will always come up from time to time and I'm sure the comments and answers will be the same.

In my opinion it's healthy and shows some people feel passionately about what we are doing, regardless if it's something they see as a positive or negative.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I tried for half an hour to find an article on Somethingawful.com I remember where they were dealing with a similar situation and satirizing people who are always thinking they detect negative trends on web forums and predicting the demise of a message board because things are "so much different than in the good old days"

Couldn't find it, but it sure was funny.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Stagnation for anything is eventual death. This is especially true of the internet.

Sep 19, 2005
the good old days are only when a site starts up and the die hards that like that genre dig in. they are happy and get along and are patting each other on the back all the time saying.."YEAH what he said".

as time goes by you inadverdantly pick up the aholes who cant get the bug out of their buuut. they never offer anything positive, even though they read the post and know they have nothing to add....but go ahead and ****s in the soup....because they can!.............this goes on till enough time has elapsed and the site and been found by enough aholes to start to drag it down.............the aholes always have the drive and desire to post prolifically so they do a lot of damage.......

but alas the world has aholes...work has aholes.....even church has aholes...

so its natural websites will have aholes.......we have to get used to them ha ha ha

bob