Deaths of foreigners not being reported?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I noticed a couple of stories this week in Dominican Today which don't seem to have made big news, even though they involve the death of tourists. I'm struggling to work out why everyone isn't talking about these.

One was the death of an American in a nightclub in the Colonial Zone who leant on a balcony and it collapsed. This happened last Saturday I think. The person was non-binary (appeared male but identified as female) and I'm wondering if this is why the story was reported so little. A death of a tourist is surely a death whatever they are?

And then there's a Peruvian guy who was run over by a boat while swimming in Saona and died from multiple injuries, this happened this week. Again a pretty serious incident, but nobody seems to be talking about it.

Is everyone else aware of these stories? And does anyone else think they're being hushed up?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: cavok and JD Jones

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I personally didn't see exposure of these stories (and I follow a lot of the main news sources on IG).

The first time I heard about what happened in the colonial zone was a post that his family was fundraising money to bring his body back but before that I didn't see anything about it.

I haven't seen anything about the Peruvian tourist who died in Saona.

There was another case in Saona a month or so ago in which a puerto Rican woman was killed by a boat and I saw a lot of coverage for that.

But I'm sure the ministry of tourism has requested these situations not to be publicized after what happened with the rogue bus driver in punta cana.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
why doesn't get publicity it's all about the tourist industry but those two stories seem like accidents Could Happen anywhere

Reactions: aarhus

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Both have been reported. The first one as a "young person" or "young man". They didn't say he was a tourist or that this person was "non binary. I don't see why this would make it a reason for not being on the news.

For the other one, El Caribe, Diario Libre, and Noticias SIN, have reported about a tourist who died in a boating accident in Isla Saona. She was a teenager.

"

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I personally didn't see exposure of these stories (and I follow a lot of the main news sources on IG).

The first time I heard about what happened in the colonial zone was a post that his family was fundraising money to bring his body back but before that I didn't see anything about it.

I haven't seen anything about the Peruvian tourist who died in Saona.

There was another case in Saona a month or so ago in which a puerto Rican woman was killed by a boat and I saw a lot of coverage for that.

But I'm sure the ministry of tourism has requested these situations not to be publicized after what happened with the rogue bus driver in punta cana.

Thanks, another person who feels the same as me. However I do accept that I am wrong, these cases were in fact reported in the mainstream media. I just don't think they were given much prominence. Nobody I have spoken to in the Colonial Zone heard about the death in the bar, you'd imagine that in the local area people would be talking about that.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Why you call him non-binary? Did he personally refer to himself as such?
I didn't see any mention of non-binary in the news article.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I have to admit I don’t understand all these different terms like non-binary etc but I don’t understand at all that some posters seems to be bothered with it. Live and let live. People should be allowed to identify as they wish to. I definitely don’t care.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Two of the first three words are "non-binary". And you cannot refer to a non-binary person as "he" or "she" the whole point is that they don't identify as either, so you refer to them as "they".

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I have to admit I don’t understand all these different terms like non-binary etc but I don’t understand at all that some posters seems to be bothered with it. Live and let live. People should be allowed to identify as they wish to. I definitely don’t care.

If you knew me in the real world, I think you would be 100% certain that I am the last person on this forum who would discriminate against someone on the grounds of their gender, sexuality, race or disability. The reason it was mentioned is that it was mentioned several times in the DT article and it was a key part of the story since the family said their relative was mistreated by staff at Dario Contreras on account of their gender identity. And throughout the article they use "they / them" pronouns and unless you realise it's a non-binary person it gets a bit confusing as you think there were several people involved.

I wondered if it had been hushed up on account of the person's gender identity? Plenty of gay bars in the Zona Colonial, hundreds of trans prostitutes on Independencia but the authorities don't like anyone shining a light on it.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
If you knew me in the real world, I think you would be 100% certain that I am the last person on this forum who would discriminate against someone on the grounds of their gender, sexuality, race or disability. The reason it was mentioned is that it was mentioned several times in the DT article and it was a key part of the story since the family said their relative was mistreated by staff at Dario Contreras on account of their gender identity. And throughout the article they use "they / them" pronouns and unless you realise it's a non-binary person it gets a bit confusing as you think there were several people involved.

I wondered if it had been hushed up on account of the person's gender identity? Plenty of gay bars in the Zona Colonial, hundreds of trans prostitutes on Independencia but the authorities don't like anyone shining a light on it.
I didn’t mean you were discriminatory. Just wondering why some posters on this forum have a problem with how other people identify. Why is it a problem for them what other people do with their lives.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Two of the first three words are "non-binary". And you cannot refer to a non-binary person as "he" or "she" the whole point is that they don't identify as either, so you refer to them as "they".

He looked, dressed and presented as a regular dude on his FB pics. No one in their right mind refers to someone with a known and obvious gender as "they", unless they are trying to sound political. I know I don't.

And the article says that he identified as a woman, so technically we're talking about a trangender woman here (not a non-binary person) and the right pronoun here should have been "she" instead of "they". Can't be "non-binary" (i.e. not wanting to fit into neither the man nor the woman category) and identify as a woman in the same breath. That's a contradictory statement.
So whoever wrote that article didn't know what they were talking about, or maybe they received the wrong information about the deceased.

Reactions: KyleMackey

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I didn’t mean you were discriminatory. Just wondering why some posters on this forum have a problem with how other people identify. Why is it a problem for them what other people do with their lives.
What we don’t understand, we fear.
What we fear, we judge as evil.
What we judge as evil, we attempt to control.
And what we cannot control…we attack.

Author unknown.

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
Whatever you have between your legs, or imagine you have inbetween your legs :ROFLMAO: it's unwise to lean on any balconies or railings around here. Not a fantastic idea anywhere, but anyone who has been around contracting work and completing projects, whether it be in this country or another and who also understands how this country works understands that nothing is 100% guaranteed and that you are risking your life by putting that level of faith in the tenacity of the installation work that was completed. You think dudes here are watching hazard avoidance videos and taking classes on how to mitigate serious accidents?

Edit: Much love to all my special snowflakes out there. Protip: physics doesn't care about anyone's cedula, identification or pasaporte, only the numbers.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thanks, another person who feels the same as me. However I do accept that I am wrong, these cases were in fact reported in the mainstream media. I just don't think they were given much prominence. Nobody I have spoken to in the Colonial Zone heard about the death in the bar, you'd imagine that in the local area people would be talking about that.
Does any newspaper in cities across the world give this type of "prominence " more attention than the examples posted here? Perhaps so, in a "community newsletter" type of publication? Other than that I don't see any abuse of news reporting. In fact, I can't imagine how small of a percentage these cases might be and think they are only of interest to members of a forum such as DR1. IMO of course.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Does any newspaper in cities across the world give this type of "prominence " more attention than the examples posted here? Perhaps so, in a "community newsletter" type of publication? Other than that I don't see any abuse of news reporting. In fact, I can't imagine how small of a percentage these cases might be and think they are only of interest to members of a forum such as DR1. IMO of course.
That’s true. Millions of tourists

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That’s true. Millions of tourists
And when would they read this news? NYC has many millions more tourists AND many more tourists and expats killed. Aside from the expose newspapers is it really, really promoted. Does it stop tourist from coming? Wether it be a company, country, business, is it ever in their favor to promote negative news?? LOL. Why would it be?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
And when would they read this news? NYC has many millions more tourists AND many more tourists and expats killed. Aside from the expose newspapers is it really, really promoted. Does it stop tourist from coming? Wether it be a company, country, business, is it ever in their favor to promote negative news?? LOL. Why would it be?
I agree with you. It’s a few incidents. This was accidents and only one was related to typical tourism activity in Saona. There was only that year with all the “mysteries deaths” but seemed to be a smear campaign.

Reactions: johne