Definite articles and nouns

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
La Internet is just as common as el Internet in my experience.

Was that a grammatical source that stated what you mentioned above regarding the reason why the masculine gender in Spanish is used for words borrowed from English?

That sounds strange to me. I would like to see the source.
No, it was speculation in an online discussion about borrowed words.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I found this link on the gender of nouns in Spanish broken down by category. It was put together by a language school. I read it completely for accuracy before posting it.

If you are having trouble with the gender of nouns in Spanish and how to use them them correctly (especially the exceptions) this link will help. The focus is on how your intuition helps if you have to guess whether a noun is masculine or feminine.

For ex, nouns like el día, el problema, el clima, la labor, la masacre etc that throw learners off because they are exceptions to the patterns/ rules of usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I often guess wrong because of my German has a neutral gender as well as a number of nouns being opposite: der Tisch , la mesa

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I often guess wrong because of my German has a neutral gender as well as a number of nouns being opposite: der Tisch , la mesa

Yes. However, the neuter gender in German is hard for learners though. Just think about those who have to learn German. Three genders- masc., feminine and neuter.

The only neuter pronoun or article in Spanish is lo and it has many forms of usage.

The genders in Spanish and German would not remotely compare because of the origin of the two languages differs. In Spanish, they differ across the Latin languages much less Spanish compared to German.

Last edited:
Reactions: GringoRubio