Definitiva Residency Finally

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why not just get citizenship. Or did they make it too complicated now?
Recently getting citizenship through marriage took 16 months and cost me $1616 US dollars.
I only used lawyers in the DR when I needed Notary Service or Legal Translations.
Much of the time was spent waiting for documents to be issued and then Apostille'd in the US.
None of the steps in themselves were difficult, but there were a lot of them.
A lot of shipping back and forth for that to happen with birth, divorce, death, FBI reports and more tedium.

Reactions: MikeFisher

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
With Citizenship you have the same rights as any Dominican except you cannot run for President.
Well that's the end of my plans to get Citizenship. I really wanted to go for the Presidency - I believe the perks can be quite good! Now my only run for Presidente will only be at the local bar!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Recently getting citizenship through marriage took 16 months and cost me $1616 US dollars.
I only used lawyers in the DR when I needed Notary Service or Legal Translations.
Much of the time was spent waiting for documents to be issued and then Apostille'd in the US.
None of the steps in themselves were difficult, but there were a lot of them.
A lot of shipping back and forth for that to happen with birth, divorce, death, FBI reports and more tedium.
But for those 1600 bucks i can renew my definitive residency for the next 50 yeats, as i am 56 i guess i will mot have to do it That often again, lol.
It is only done every 10 years and the only needed documets are a dr good conduct paper, qhich i am getting at this moment, my old residency and cedula cards, and thats it to have both good fornthe next Decade.
Cedula done locally, if i really get my residency card shipped to Bavaro, too, i can tell in a few days when i scanned in my papers and get the notice what/where.
It was already very easy 10 years ago on the last renewal, it looks way smoother even now.
I am not against citizenship, but did not find a strong thing in favor to push myself on it, yet.
Myself and my dr born daughter hold german passports, there is no better one for travels on this planet.
Sonfor now i stick to the definitiva, as the 10 years renewals look not more than the 10 years renewals of a dr passport and separately dr cedula, and i still have to renew our german passports every 10 years(6 for my mimor daughter).
So i dont get anything easier nor any personal advantage by citizenship.

Reactions: Carl.L

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
And the most important point is that Germany don't allows double citizenship, only in very special circumstances.So we germans here in the DR take the 10 year renewal but never change our german passport, it's the entrance to the world...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
And the most important point is that Germany don't allows double citizenship, only in very special circumstances.So we germans here in the DR take the 10 year renewal but never change our german passport, it's the entrance to the world...
that's not correct.
Germany does allow the double citizenship, unless you would be in the Reserve of the German Military or would have had formerly a job involving a certain security level.
I worked for the German Government all my life before i hit the Island
and I got approval for double Citizenship already 10 years ago.
I never used it, i never did the double, but I requested it via the German Embassy in Santo Domingo and got green light.
if that would still work todays, I have no idea, as it is actually not of interest to me.
I only asked about it 10 years ago when my daughter been born in DR and I applied for Her double Citizenship, which she has since then.
as my own double was not of any importance to get my daughter's doouble, i never followed up on that again, as i am fine as my status is as a definitive Res.

Reactions: Carl.L

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just for info, in case somebody else in the eastern area is the same lacy/busy guy as myself.
I was this morning in Higuey to get my good conduct paper for my residency renewal.
as recommended through a 20 years old friend, I gaev my original cedula to a Moto Guy, after my friend did a call to the paper issuing office,
so i could sit at his Taller Office working as usual on my computer,
while the Moto Guy went to the bank, took the line to pay the Tax for that paper.
then he went with the receipt to the office where my good conduct paper was already waiting for him to pick it up.
he took an good hour in line at the bank, including his driving times I had my paper in hand within less than 2hrs,
without myself moving a finger for it, no lines, no waiting, all smooth.
the cost to me:
600 pesos for the tax/paper fee and 350 for the Moto rides and 300 for the "friend at the office", total 1250.- pesos.
I gave them 2.000.- to share, finished my computer work at the Taller Office and all was done without any work interruptions or hassles or waiting.
if someone is the same lazy as I am on such stuff and you need that paper for whatsoever,
drop me a private message and i give you the phone/whatsapp number of my Higuey Buddy.
be aware that nobody of them speaks a single word of english or german or such, we are dominican friends&family.
a bit later today i will upload my documents for the renewal and will write here about how that goes.

Reactions: bob saunders

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
... But surely you would have saved even more time plus money if you had applied for the good conduct paper online, couldn't you?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
... But surely you would have saved even more time plus money if you had applied for the good conduct paper online, couldn't you?
the i couldn't have had my Fruehschoppen with my buddy at his Taller.
you always have to plan things to combine the best.
honestly,
all that online stuff i realized here back at the office, even with a QR Code on it and the 2 online codes shown on the paper, hahahahha.
but i still wouldnt do it different next week.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
that's not correct.
Germany does allow the double citizenship, unless you would be in the Reserve of the German Military or would have had formerly a job involving a certain security level.
I worked for the German Government all my life before i hit the Island
and I got approval for double Citizenship already 10 years ago.
I never used it, i never did the double, but I requested it via the German Embassy in Santo Domingo and got green light.
if that would still work todays, I have no idea, as it is actually not of interest to me.
I only asked about it 10 years ago when my daughter been born in DR and I applied for Her double Citizenship, which she has since then.
as my own double was not of any importance to get my daughter's doouble, i never followed up on that again, as i am fine as my status is as a definitive Res.
Well I have read now a little bit on google of the german laws to get the double citizenship. Not everyone adapted to it.
My dom. wife for example had to submit in Germany her dom. citizenship to become the german citizenship. She has an german Passport but an dom. Cedula, here she still is dominicana. So when I will get the dom. citizenship and want to hold the german, I have to proof the nessescery why I want to hold the german one, very complicated.
But I still on with the renewal like you do.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well I have read now a little bit on google of the german laws to get the double citizenship. Not everyone adapted to it.
My dom. wife for example had to submit in Germany her dom. citizenship to become the german citizenship. She has an german Passport but an dom. Cedula, here she still is dominicana. So when I will get the dom. citizenship and want to hold the german, I have to proof the nessescery why I want to hold the german one, very complicated.
But I still on with the renewal like you do.
my reasoning to hold/keep the german citizenship been
I have a valid German "Meldeadresse" and I receive every year my german "Lohnsteuerkarte" and have a big family living there.
I have no intention to turn any back on my family or the country,
but for the good of my dominican children(my DR born daughter has also a german paasport) I also want to hold the Citizenship of their country of birth, the DR.

that reasoning is enough to make sense for holding both.
again, unless you worked specific jobs related to germany's national security.
I was emplyed by the government for almost 15 years and for that a "Free Mikey" paper wouldhave to be issued.
but no problem, the Embassy works on that stuff.
again, I asked about those things 10 years ago and never again looked anything up on the theme.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
my reasoning to hold/keep the german citizenship been
I have a valid German "Meldeadresse" and I receive every year my german "Lohnsteuerkarte" and have a big family living there.
I have no intention to turn any back on my family or the country,
but for the good of my dominican children(my DR born daughter has also a german paasport) I also want to hold the Citizenship of their country of birth, the DR.

that reasoning is enough to make sense for holding both.
again, unless you worked specific jobs related to germany's national security.
I was emplyed by the government for almost 15 years and for that a "Free Mikey" paper wouldhave to be issued.
but no problem, the Embassy works on that stuff.
again, I asked about those things 10 years ago and never again looked anything up on the theme.
Mike, How long do I have. to be on. permanent residence for apply for the 10 years residence card? I have residency since 2008.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some countries, like the Netherlands, don't accept 2 nationalities, so you loose your Dutch passport....don't have to explain what the consequences are of that...
True that getting dual citizenship is not for everyone. I get asked by my friends from the US if my getting DR citizenship meant I lost US citizenship. It does not, but there are countries that simply don't allow it like The Netherlands.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I had permanent residency since 2003, BUT it was drawn back to temporary for 1 year 5-6 years ago...(discussed earlier here...), then permanent for 1 or 2 years (do not remmber), then permanent for 4 years. Do I get 10 years next time?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had permanent residency since 2003, BUT it was drawn back to temporary 5-6 years ago...(discussed earlier here...) then permanent for 1 year, then permanent for 4 years. Do I get 10 years next time?
Did Migracion say they lost your records and you had to become "regularized"? That happened to me when I tried to get Residency Definitiva, so I did the citizenship route as soon as I could after that nonsense.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Did Migracion say they lost your records and you had to become "regularized"? That happened to me when I tried to get Residency Definitiva, so I did the citizenship route as soon as I could after that nonsense.
Yes, I think we had the same issue, missing papers. Customer is always wrong... Ok, but good to know, so you were only offered 4 years again?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
True that getting dual citizenship is not for everyone. I get asked by my friends from the US if my getting DR citizenship meant I lost US citizenship. It does not, but there are countries that simply don't allow it like The Netherlands.

I am always amazed at how little Americans know about their system - residency/passports/etc
Have had heated discussions about exactly that - dual passports....
and a 'dual' , sitting at the table , said nothing.... dual US/Australia