Delancer becoming too slow to use

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When we did the setup, all was fine expect that even though I was literally next to the repeater, my laptop or other device did not connect to the repeater but to the ISP router behind all the concrete walls... Not the case anymore, but had to learn a few new things...

I have two repeaters and either can be connected to 2.4 and 5, but the speeds are much lower than from the router itself.

What's interesting to me is that my camera system seems to like the 2.4 repeater more than the router!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
if you have just 1 wifi 6 router it doesn't solve problem with the distance or remote devices. mesh or controlled wifi systems would be solution. wifi 6 give broader speed to devices that support all features near by, propably less distance than wifi-2 network but higher speeds. and yet if you have older devices you still have to run in compatible mode which basically puts your wifi 6 to wifi 2 mode ....

this all speculation on my side - each case needs to be reviewed.

keep in mind maximum internet usage in the network is between 8pm and 10pm the rest of the day it's at least 3-5 times less. i haven't seen bottleneck situation in sosua. if you think you have a problem ask support to send supervisor to review your network.
My equipment is WiFi 6 compatible and my laptop and TV are less than 13' from the router

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I have been using powerline adapters for over a decade. With the latest upgrade I have mesh wifi everywhere at great speed because they are actually wired wifi points. Normal wifi repeaters sucked.

Reactions: Billp16

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I live in Los Cerros. Delancer fiber is becoming so slow both I and my neighbors are finding it almost unusable.
Anyone else having issues with internet speed and Delancer elsewhere ?
For 3,150 pesos a month I won't stay with them unless I see it increase this month.

the new and improved Starlink is a wonderful option.

Cable/fiber providers in the DR are full of it with their phony data speed advertising

Reactions: Bred

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
I have been using powerline adapters for over a decade. With the latest upgrade I have mesh wifi everywhere at great speed because they are actually wired wifi points. Normal wifi repeaters sucked.
They fail too. Their true speed depends a lot on quality of your existing electric wiring in the house and the noise in the line. Regular Ethernet cable run in same electric tubes is a much better and 100% reliable solution.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
the new and improved Starlink is a wonderful option.

Cable/fiber providers in the DR are full of it with their phony data speed advertising
100% agree with you. I have Starlink as a backup for almost 2 years now. My primary line is Claro fiber 300/75 for under 4000 Pesos a month.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I have 220/120, after I upgraded my plan i was still seeing pretty sketchy performance. I had my Asus router plugged into their device, but the Delancer ethernet port was tapped at 10mbps (which made my gigabit router pretty useless). Reached out via WhatsApp support, they sent someone out with a hardware upgrade and ever since I consistently get rated speed...and I'm on that thing all day for work (and stream content most evenings). It's been rock solid.

Concrete walls though....those are a pain. I bought some Eero devices from Amazon, one plugged it to Delancer and the other in the hallway between the bedrooms, those have been fantastic. I initially did the extender option, but didn't work nearly as well.
I did the same, I had an extender but it did not work very well. I bought an Eero mesh system and the internet is perfect throughout the house.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
For 3,150 pesos a month I won't stay with them unless I see it increase this month.
So glad I don't live up there anymore.
That's horrible.
I pay RD$1,795 for Claro fiber-optic in the heart of Santiago.
Life is good.

Reactions: Bred

trspencer

Aug 27, 2023
Sosua
Would love to try Starlink, but for many condo residents that's not going to be an option. Between HOA crap and lack of visibility for the dish, many of us are stuck with local providers only.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
That's horrible.
Life is good.
This is another thing I don't understand, like lack of water in touristy areas (OP is not exactly paying a small amount for their connection). As I wrote previously, we recently had to setup internet connection in a not-the-best barrio in POP. I obviously suggested Claro as I did not know any better, but then someone asked someone else and turns out that Telecable Central had the whole area wired. For like 1800 DOP monthly 100/20 mbps connection. Up to 300 mbps was available, but that was not necessary. The connection was tested by a family member repeatedly via video call, stable and fast, no matter of time of day. Time from inquiry call to setting up and wiring the location: 1.5 days.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's horrible.
Life is good.
You would think the closest neighborhood to Delancer's office would have faster service.
The price is definitely not cheap. I'd I could get something for 2,000 that was reliable & fast I'd change tomorrow

Reactions: CristoRey

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
That's horrible.
Life is good.
So glad I DON'T have Claro! Disgusting international company. From when I got here until 2019 I was a client of theirs, until a local ISP had actual fiber connection in the area where I live.
Whenever there was an issue (which happened ALOT) and you'd call customer service for Claro it could take around 1-2 weeks before they actually fixed it. I would honestly say that Claro is even worse than Edenorte.
Incompetent sellers and incompetent technicians.
So many stories to tell.
When I first moved here (2012), the seller I talked to convinced me that it was Fiberoptics, however the modem that I got was a DSL modem, so obviously NOT a fiber connection. The seller was still adamant that it was fiber...........
Then I moved from one area to another area here in Sosúa.
Before I moved I confirmed with them that I could still keep my speed at 20 Mbps, and obviously the seller told me that yeah it's the same.
So I moved, and right away had problems with the sporadic disconnects. So I called, and I called, and I called.
I think it took like 3 weeks before one guy arrived.
They checked the connection, said that oh yeah by the way, you live too far away from the "central" so the highest speed was only 10mbit.
A few days later, the same issue. So once again I called and I called and I called. I took again 2-3 weeks for them to send someone to check it.
And this time the other technician said that the max speed was 5 mbit and just laught at what I told the seller and the other technician said.

Anyways. After finally being able to switch to a local ISP that ACTUALLY has Fiber and I went to cancel everything. It took more than 1 hour to go between different customer support people, one to cancel the Internet connection and another to cancel the Cable subscription. And in the end although I didn't have ANY contract I had to pay a cancellation "fee".

So I'll NEVER go back to Claro...

In contrast with Telecable La Union, the only issues that I've experienced have been brief, from a couple of minutes to maybe an hour or 2. And whenever I call they pick up and explain exactly what's going on.

Reactions: delancerguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So glad I DON'T have Claro! Disgusting international company. From when I got here until 2019 I was a client of theirs, until a local ISP had actual fiber connection in the area where I live.
Whenever there was an issue (which happened ALOT) and you'd call customer service for Claro it could take around 1-2 weeks before they actually fixed it. I would honestly say that Claro is even worse than Edenorte.
Incompetent sellers and incompetent technicians.
So many stories to tell.
When I first moved here (2012), the seller I talked to convinced me that it was Fiberoptics, however the modem that I got was a DSL modem, so obviously NOT a fiber connection. The seller was still adamant that it was fiber...........
Then I moved from one area to another area here in Sosúa.
Before I moved I confirmed with them that I could still keep my speed at 20 Mbps, and obviously the seller told me that yeah it's the same.
So I moved, and right away had problems with the sporadic disconnects. So I called, and I called, and I called.
I think it took like 3 weeks before one guy arrived.
They checked the connection, said that oh yeah by the way, you live too far away from the "central" so the highest speed was only 10mbit.
A few days later, the same issue. So once again I called and I called and I called. I took again 2-3 weeks for them to send someone to check it.
And this time the other technician said that the max speed was 5 mbit and just laught at what I told the seller and the other technician said.

Anyways. After finally being able to switch to a local ISP that ACTUALLY has Fiber and I went to cancel everything. It took more than 1 hour to go between different customer support people, one to cancel the Internet connection and another to cancel the Cable subscription. And in the end although I didn't have ANY contract I had to pay a cancellation "fee".

So I'll NEVER go back to Claro...

In contrast with Telecable La Union, the only issues that I've experienced have been brief, from a couple of minutes to maybe an hour or 2. And whenever I call they pick up and explain exactly what's going on.
Lol....
puerto Plata in a nutshell,
hence me living where I live while at the same time getting excellent customer care with techs who understand their jobs. Arguably some of the best service I've recieved anywhere in the country.
100% satisfied with Claro.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
You would think the closest neighborhood to Delancer's office would have faster service.
The price is definitely not cheap. I'd I could get something for 2,000 that was reliable & fast I'd change tomorrow
I used to live in Paradise Condos in Sosua,it is owned by the Delancer family,the internet sucked balls....they were horrible landlords,won't fix a damned thing. Prior to the Delancers owning it Armando owned it and the place was in perfect condition,now it's a mess.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Lol....
puerto Plata in a nutshell,
hence me living where I live while at the same time getting excellent customer care with techs who understand their jobs. Arguably some of the best service I've recieved anywhere in the country.
100% satisfied with Claro.
Please note that Sosua was mentioned, not Puerto Plata.

I'm sure people can have bad experiences with Claro in POP as well, but what Krike87 wrote about Claro, definitely does not reflect on our experience on Claro for the 7+ years in total we had contracts with them. The whole closer neighborhood in POP was also with Claro, and they, just like me, used the connection professionally and nothing bad to say about them. I recall Claro had 3 business days always from initial call to rectifying whatever the issue was (there were a few as the wires were old), and they always fixed in that time.

Krike also mentioned these "sellers" and them promising whatever. Yes, those could be somewhat incompetent, I agree, for which reason we only dealt with the techs. At one point, a seller I was talking with, even admitted that the techs need to get out to us to actually measure the signal via the wires. The techs would then call to central and confirm the contract details. When we changed from ADSL to fibra, all the contract changes and everything, we never spoke to any seller, only to Claro techs and then confirmed the new contract via phone.

Again, we had the same experience with 20 mbps promised. Claro in fact tried to lower us repeatedly down to 10 mbps as according to various techs, their infra would not handle 20 mbps with quality, but I refused. They then just said that ok, if I say that the connection is fine with 20 mbps, they leave it, despite the fact that all of their quality checks failed on 20.

Reactions: CristoRey

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We've enjoyed Delancer services for over 16 years and are very happy. Perhaps our basic needs aren't the same as the digital nomads that require faster service.

Reactions: delancerguy

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
It varies to as high as 38 mps download but often slows to 10-12. Uploads are always around 5-8 mps. This morning it was 38.5 and 7
this is
I did the same, I had an extender but it did not work very well. I bought an Eero mesh system and the internet is perfect throughout the house.
i just wanted to mention those megs around 30-40Mbps with higher plan that's indication that you are connected to 2.4Ghz network.

and mesh and/or wifi system with controller is the best way to go but even with that - there could be situation that wifi bandwidth that is constantly being renegotiated based on RF conditions is not what you want. that's why when you claim that speed is low - best is to connect directly to the modem and check that port speed was negotiated higher than your plan, and measure it with the speedtest server of your ISP. if in that situation you are not getting what you paying for please report the problem.

see image that i attached, that's the same network, iphone and wired, tested a minute appart, ping over wifi is 4ms and over cable is 2ms, the download speed is 255Mpbs over wifi and 788Mbps over cable, another indication there is also ping when loaded that didn't jump high meaning that line was not overloaded at the time of testing, means the limitation is just negotiated wifi speed. also high speeds difficult to measure, for example this was done on Intel i9 computer it will not give the same results with slower CPU and even for example if laptop is not plugged to power socket.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-01 at 20.21.19.jpeg

Reactions: Seamonkey

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
guys i am not exactly employee of delancer i'm more of a contractor and for my personal curiosity i was one of the first clients of starlink. i do have it just in case with minimal use so i haven't reached any limits. here is speed test from starlink in the rain 3pm 16th of April 2024 center of El Batey Sosua gives me 28Mbps download and 10.2Mbps upload 46ms latency - failed on the first try.

and the second test is speedtest with delancer done around the same time on the 1G/1G line i9 CPU.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 14.54.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 14.54.27.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 20
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 14.58.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 14.58.26.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 18

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
guys i am not exactly employee of delancer i'm more of a contractor and for my personal curiosity i was one of the first clients of starlink. i do have it just in case with minimal use so i haven't reached any limits. here is speed test from starlink in the rain 3pm 16th of April 2024 center of El Batey Sosua gives me 28Mbps download and 10.2Mbps upload 46ms latency - failed on the first try.

and the second test is speedtest with delancer done around the same time on the 1G/1G line i9 CPU.
Prices for both of those plans, unlimited data please?