Delancer - could they care less ?

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
....Delancerguy...are you guys related to comcast in the USA?....the words in the quote are almost the same word for word as the ones I recieved in a e-mail in USA from comcast....sounds like the same playbook...anyway...If any company in the DR gets serious about GOOD customer service...they will reap rewards beyond your wildest dreams....sorry about the sour reply but you tv guys have been the cause of many ****ed up days in the USA and now the DR. for me.......Doc........

We are not related and never have been related to Comcast USA.

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
Ask for it when you paying your next bill. you will be able to pay it on the spot with card or cash. Many many customers use this service.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Just to let everyone know that person that delivers your bill has verifone with them and you can pay your bill right on the spot.

for the aspect ratio can you tell me please what channel you having problems with? and we do not receive anything from Comcast.

Based on a quick check of the channels a few minutes ago, the channels with the vertically squeezed aspect ratios are 4, 8, 10, 12, 22, 23, 30, 35, 38, 41, 47, 50, 51, 60, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 82, 83, 84, 88, 90, 93, 94, 96, 100, 101, 105, 106, 108, 112, 114, 118, 119, 120, 125, 128, 135, 150, 155, 156, 157, 158, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 171, 172, 173, 176, 177, 178, 193, 195, 210, 220, 221, 220, 222, 223, 228, 231, 242, 243, 248, 258, 249, 402, 406, 412, 808. Fortunately all the HD channels have a correct aspect ratio. The only exception is 808, but I don't know why that channel is grouped with the HD channels because is it definitely not HD resolution. The only other exception is channel 30 which instead of a vertically squeezed aspect ratio, it has a vertically stretched aspect ratio.

The only one of those messed up standard definition channels that I watch or care about is channel 50. After repeated complaints about it , there was an attempt by the technician in the office to fix that one channel for me. He was successful in restoring it to a correct aspect ratio, but only by changing it to a very low resolution image. The image was so blurry that had him change it back to the squeezed aspect ratio which at least had normal standard definition resolution. I am disappointed that Delancer no longer offers this CNN channel in their HD lineup.

I also want to say that, despite a few complaints in the thread from others about the cashiers in the Delancer office, I have always found them to be very courteous, friendly, and helpful. The only person in that office that I have ever had a problem with is the girl behind the service counter at the very end of the office. She was extremely rude and unhelpful when I went there a few months ago to request help with this aspect ratio problem. At first she tried to convince me that there was something wrong with my eyes. Then when others finally offered support that the channels were messed up and there was nothing wrong with my eyes, she ordered me to sit down on the nearby coach and began waiting on other customers. I patiently waited for her to finish with all the other customers, but she continued to ignore me even when there were no other customers. Clearly she wanted me to just leave and she figured that I would finally do that in frustration. But after finally enduring enough of her rude and hostile treatment, I went back and demanded to speak to a supervisor.

A few minutes later a young lady emerged from the back office who identified herself as Joanna and asked if she could help me. She said that she was the owner's daughter. And the difference in attitude between her and the girl behind the counter who had been so rude and unhelpful was like night and day. Joanna listened politely to my problems, and then she responded. She said that they were aware of the problem with the aspect ratio on some of their channels, and she acknowledged that many other customers had complained about the same thing since they "upgraded" to their new cable boxes. She said that unfortunately there probably wasn't much they could do about it because that's simply the way they receive their satellite signal and there's no way to change it. I thought I heard some mention of Comcast, but perhaps I am wrong. I may be confusing it with their internet service provider. At any rate, Joanna's answer was not what I wanted to hear, but I nevertheless left the office satisfied because she was honest, she seemed to care, she explained the situation to me, and she treated me courteously. It is a shame that some of that professional demeanor could not be taught to the girl who works for her.

The other problem that I had with the new cable boxes other than the squeezed aspect ratio on all those channels was the fact that the closed caption feature was no longer available. I had previously found that feature very useful because it allowed me to see English subtitles when watching a movie with Spanish audio, and it was also great have Spanish subtitles when watching a movie with English audio with someone who doesn't understand English. And on a few channels, there was also a feature that would allow to select either English or Spanish audio. When I tried to explain to the girl behind that counter that these features had apparently disappeared on the new cable boxes, she told me it was a stupid feature that nobody ever used. When I asked Johanna about it however, she acknowledged that it was a popular feature that had disappeared but unfortunately was not possible with their new cable boxes. Once again, it was not the answer that I wanted to hear, but I appreciated Joanna's honesty and helpfulness in explaining the situation.

My only other comment that i want to add about Delancer is that I am blown away by the fact that a Delancer rep is actually participating in this thread and taking all this abuse. That alone has given me a whole new appreciation and respect for Delancer.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't know if bank to bank transfer is possible, but it is a moot point for me because I have no Dominican bank account. I had an account with Banco Leon once, but I finally canceled it due to their ridiculous fees and difficulty with both deposits and withdrawals. Now I simply use my Charles Schwab checking account to get money from any ATM in the world with no ATM fees and an exchange rate equal to the full bank to bank transfer rate for that day. There are no account fees whatsoever, no minimum balance, and Schwab reimburses my account for whatever ATM fees are charged by the local bank. And with no Dominican bank account, there is also no need to declare and explain on my income tax return why I have a foreign bank account. I can see no reason whatsoever for opening a Dominican bank account.

I agree Delancer billing needs some modern online updating.
But a reason to have a Dominican bank ( as expensive to have one is) - It is required to renew your permanent residency

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For sure Delancer has improved over the past few years. Yes, there is still lots of room for more improvement.

The prices that were simply highway robbery, are better now but remain a point of contention with me. I have seen Delancer repair trucks way way south on the El Choco Rd near Jamao. Delancer has a fairly expansive service area. If Claro ever breezes through this part of the country and installs fiber for everyone who wants it, Delancer would lose every single foreigner internet account they have based on price alone. Claro has the fiber trunk line in place already, they just have not yet shown any interest in feeding into any neighborhoods as of yet.

I do appreciate Delancer's English channel TV lineup - just wish the channels I really like to watch would stop disappearing into nothingness with such regularity.

I can't help but think that the gringo accounts are bankrolling the service provided to the campo customers. Past Agua Dulce, there isn't a single residence that could afford what I currently pay for internet service alone each month. Claro for those with them as a service option is still significantly cheaper for faster.

Delancer's service is reliable and repair people do show up pretty quickly when called. So there is that...

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I agree Delancer billing needs some modern online updating.
But a reason to have a Dominican bank ( as expensive to have one is) - It is required to renew your permanent residency

I am in the process of obtaining my permanent residency now, and I did not know that having a Dominican bank account would be a requirement for renewing it. Thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations out there regarding which bank to use or which bank to stay away from?

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
For sure Delancer has improved over the past few years. Yes, there is still lots of room for more improvement.

The prices that were simply highway robbery, are better now but remain a point of contention with me. I have seen Delancer repair trucks way way south on the El Choco Rd near Jamao. Delancer has a fairly expansive service area. If Claro ever breezes through this part of the country and installs fiber for everyone who wants it, Delancer would lose every single foreigner internet account they have based on price alone. Claro has the fiber trunk line in place already, they just have not yet shown any interest in feeding into any neighborhoods as of yet.

I do appreciate Delancer's English channel TV lineup - just wish the channels I really like to watch would stop disappearing into nothingness with such regularity.

I can't help but think that the gringo accounts are bankrolling the service provided to the campo customers. Past Agua Dulce, there isn't a single residence that could afford what I currently pay for internet service alone each month. Claro for those with them as a service option is still significantly cheaper for faster.

Delancer's service is reliable and repair people do show up pretty quickly when called. So there is that...

Delancer's strongest selling point and IMHO the only reason that they continue to be a viable competitor with Claro is that fact that they sell you services on a month-to-month basis with no contract commitment. I know a few snowbirds who would love to make the switch to Claro, but the 18-month contract that Claro demands simply makes no sense when they are only here for 3 or 4 months of the year.

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
Hi,

i just tried my box and i don't have Image-Ratio problem, can you please send me via PM your NIC (client number) we can send technician to check configuration of your box or tv. For the closed-captions did you try to turn them on on your tv? we pass CC to tv.

just to make it clear regarding Comcast. There is dominican company called Comcast SRL who is technology provider/consultant they assist cable companies to configure and run their networks. we have been closely working with them in the past. For the most of our system we are on our own now. FTTH and TV service is 100% Cable Atlantico (Cable Delancer).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am in the process of obtaining my permanent residency now, and I did not know that having a Dominican bank account would be a requirement for renewing it. Thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations out there regarding which bank to use or which bank to stay away from?

I am not impressed with any of them they do require you use it once a month (the bank) and they all charge hefty fess when transferring money from your home bank.
Some say Scotia Bank doesn't charge for transfers from Canada but I don't know
I do know Banco Santa Cruz charges $10 US but they have an intermediary bank that adds another $25.

Some say Ban Reservas is cheapest _ I had an account their but can't recall what I paid on the two transfers I made

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Hi,

i just tried my box and i don't have Image-Ratio problem, can you please send me via PM your NIC (client number) we can send technician to check configuration of your box or tv. For the closed-captions did you try to turn them on on your tv? we pass CC to tv.

just to make it clear regarding Comcast. There is dominican company called Comcast SRL who is technology provider/consultant they assist cable companies to configure and run their networks. we have been closely working with them in the past. For the most of our system we are on our own now. FTTH and TV service is 100% Cable Atlantico (Cable Delancer).

Thank you for the follow up. Your message seems to be suggesting that I should not be having any problems with proper aspect ratios, and that I also should be able to receive closed captions with my TV controls. Although that is very different than what I was told when I was in your office complaining about these problems a few months ago, it is nevertheless very welcome news. I will send you my client number via PM, and hopefully your technician can resolve these problems which I had previously understood were unsolvable.

In regards to you passing on the CC signal to the TV, I was not aware of that. The CC feature was always controlled on the cable box remote before the change was made. But based on this new information, I turned on the CC control on my TV, but there are still no closed captions.

In regards to the language audio choices, either I misspoke in my previous message or you have added that feature in the past few months. I see now that I can indeed receive and select the language audio on many of the movie channels.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you want American networks there are so many options... So many... Just google

Agreed. I have an IPTV service with far more options for channels, movies and on demand TV series watching at a far lower price than what is offered by local companies. Google is your fren...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My week old DeLancer modem /router is flashing a red Log light and internet not working. Did a unplug-plug same result, reset still not working. Any ideas DeLancer guy ?

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
My week old DeLancer modem /router is flashing a red Log light and internet not working. Did a unplug-plug same result, reset still not working. Any ideas DeLancer guy ?

i would need to know your account number to see in the system what's going on. Best is make a report 809-571-1040

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i would need to know your account number to see in the system what's going on. Best is make a report 809-571-1040
Went there and made an appointment for 10:30 AM. Waiting now. It's either the fiber or router failed. Nothing touched either the fiber or router in the house so my guess it's on the poles out side

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK I will tip my hat to DeLancer. They showed and fixed my problem. Was a damaged fiber cable in the house. How it got damaged I have no idea unless it was the cleaning lady?
But now I'm beginning to think they do care about keeping clients

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
OK I will tip my hat to DeLancer. They showed and fixed my problem. Was a damaged fiber cable in the house. How it got damaged I have no idea unless it was the cleaning lady?
But now I'm beginning to think they do care about keeping clients

Thank you for your kind words! just keep in mind you can arrange for repair over the phone you don't have to go there. you can also write me direct i would need NIC # or your name and address to confirm.