Dengue - It's back

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Something more deadly than Covid to young children is resurging.
Saw the fumigation trucks making the rounds in Montellano Saturday.

I've had it and I've never been so sick - A lot of people need hoepilization for dengue - which will take icu beds.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Had Dengue here about 5 years ago....Went to the clinic ASAP....I can see how people can die from it, and there are about 4 strains of it....Soooo you can get it more than one time.........

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I doubt if anyone who has lived here 20 or 30 years can escape from these mosquito viruses, Dengue, Chikungunya, Malaria and Zika . they probably kill more people in the Caribbean than the Covid virus. I had chikungunya in 2015 and I could not move a muscle without huge pain for about 3 weeks . I remember than Dengue came soon afterwards. It is the dreaded Aegus mosquito that causes the problem and the female mosquitos are the real killers.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I doubt if anyone who has lived here 20 or 30 years can escape from these mosquito viruses, Dengue, Chikungunya, Malaria and Zika . they probably kill more people in the Caribbean than the Covid virus. I had chikungunya in 2015 and I could not move a muscle without huge pain for about 3 weeks . I remember than Dengue came soon afterwards. It is the dreaded Aegus mosquito that causes the problem and the female mosquitos are the real killers.
of course male mosquitos don't bite. I have yet to get any of those mosquito borne diseases but am well aware of them and takes as many precautions as I can. My wife who has lived here most of her life has never had any of them and either has my MIL.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I had Dengue years ago and still have occasional pain in bones that it affected back then.
We had 2 Mosquito Magnets at our New England home that worked very well. Brought them here to our D.R. home and
.. worked very well untill the salt air killed them. Since they are expensive plus importing we tried other mosquito remedies that none really worked and tired of spraying with Off or slapping.
Installed a new Mosquito Magnet last week.
The catch basket has lots and no Mosquitoes at all at our ankles.
Amazon.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
of course male mosquitos don't bite. I have yet to get any of those mosquito borne diseases but am well aware of them and takes as many precautions as I can. My wife who has lived here most of her life has never had any of them and either has my MIL.
There could be some truth to the belief that there are less mosquitos at higher altitudes. Jarabacoa isn't that high, but it could be high enough to reduce the population of mosquitos compared to Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata. If there are less mosquitos in Jarabacoa, most likely there are less in Constanza and less further up, but I think there are no towns in valleys higher than Constanza.

Temperature is a tell tale sign of higher altitude. It could be 7am in Santo Domingo and in Santiago. It's almost a guarantee that a clothed person at that time and showered is already seeating in Santo Domingp while the same person at that same time isn't sweating in Santiago. Up in Jarabacoa a person can remain without sweating from the heat for longer periods compared to Santo Domingo and Santiago, especially during the cooler months.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I had dengue in 2013 and got covid this year. Both were very similar in pain and symptoms. Dengue was worse as far as the body pain and headaches are concerned. I was in the hospital for 3 days with dengue. Covid, although not as bad, made me lose my sense of smell and taste. I never went to the hospital for covid, but stayed in bed for 8 days.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I had Dengue years ago and still have occasional pain in bones that it affected back then.
We had 2 Mosquito Magnets at our New England home that worked very well. Brought them here to our D.R. home and
.. worked very well untill the salt air killed them. Since they are expensive plus importing we tried other mosquito remedies that none really worked and tired of spraying with Off or slapping.
Installed a new Mosquito Magnet last week.
The catch basket has lots and no Mosquitoes at all at our ankles.
Amazon.
Can you tell me what kind of Mosquito Magnet you're using DR?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Big

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If it’s like this one, we have one at our house, with all the supplies. We shipped it a couple of years ago and never used it even once. We thought we’d use it in back of house or in our big outside room but never did.

Make me an offer I can’t refuse. 🤣

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
20210914_153601.jpg
20210914_153608.jpg
20210820_151127.jpg

20210914_152509.jpg
20210914_152442.jpg

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
If it’s like this one, we have one at our house, with all the supplies. We shipped it a couple of years ago and never used it even once. We thought we’d use it in back of house or in our big outside room but never did.

That's it.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

I bid $100.00 U.S. cash. Will be in S.D. next week so you can deliver.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Wow, what a beast! I was thinking it was more along the lines of a Zapper I can put inside the house.