Dengue - It's back

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The locals have a folk remedy drink, we tried it when he was sick. Guava juice blended with red bell peppers. I think there was something else added. To this day, he thinks that’s what helped him.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
India is struggling w/ a new outbreak.....

Our wet season here could yield the same

Here's a synopsis -the big issue is - No Cure!!

At a glance | Dengue fever​

1560166709395.jpg

• Dengue is a mosquito-borne viral infection
  • The infection causes flu-like illness, and occasionally develops into a potentially lethal complication called severe dengue
  • The global incidence of dengue has grown dramatically in recent decades and about half of the world's population is now at risk
  • Symptoms include severe joint pain, headache, pain around the eyes, nausea and swollen glands
  • Dengue is found in tropical and sub-tropical climates worldwide, mostly in urban and semi-urban areas.
  • Severe dengue is a leading cause of serious illness and death among children in some Asian and Latin American countries
  • There is no specific treatment for dengue/ severe dengue, but early detection and access to proper medical care lowers fatality rates below one per cent
Source: World Health Organization

Reactions: Gadfly

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
This is where I live now. It's a three story apartment complex surrounded by 12 ft walls. The row of trees on the right side is my world now.
No standing water except for a couple of puddles under the trees when it rains. I think those puddles are the source of mosquitos because they can take a few days to evaporate.

My only issue with having the Mosquito Magnet is the curious little kids who live in the complex. There's a couple of them who can be a real challenge, but maybe if I installed it on a shelf it would be OK.

DRSolar, how long does the tank of LPG last?

View attachment 4845
I wouldn't want the kids playing with ths.
About 21 days for the LPG and southern attractant.
You can see the manual if you search.
Again, we had 2 of the early ones and very happy. Nothing else has come close so... spent the $$$ and glad we did.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Dengue is a mosquito-borne viral infection
  • The infection causes flu-like illness, and occasionally develops into a potentially lethal complication called severe dengue
  • The global incidence of dengue has grown dramatically in recent decades and about half of the world's population is now at risk
  • Symptoms include severe joint pain, headache, pain around the eyes, nausea and swollen glands
  • Dengue is found in tropical and sub-tropical climates worldwide, mostly in urban and semi-urban areas.
  • Severe dengue is a leading cause of serious illness and death among children in some Asian and Latin American countries
  • There is no specific treatment for dengue/ severe dengue, but early detection and access to proper medical care lowers fatality rates below one per cent
Source: World Health Organization

FROM GOOGLE:
Are dengue mosquitoes active at night?

The dengue-spreading mosquito is a day-biting mosquito that is most active for around two hours after sunrise and several hours before sunset but it also bites at night in well-lit areas. (Sep 2, 2017)

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Hardware stores and la sirena sell window screen material (nylon?) by the yard, cheap, just use scissors, then clips, voila