Dengue....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today's DR1 news:

Dengue cases still rising
June ended with significant increases in suspected dengue cases in the leading pediatric hospitals in the capital. One public hospital reported 212 cases of children with possible dengue.

Last weekend the Robert Reid Cabral Children’s Hospital admitted 28 cases, ending the month with 179 cases, some 25 more than in May, and reaching 620 cases in the first six months of the year, according to deputy director, Clemente Terrero.

So far this year, 17 children have died of what is thought to be dengue, even though official records state no deaths from dengue this year.

At the Santo Socorro Respiratory Disease Hospital, last month suspected dengue cases peaked at 33, according to director Lucas Gómez. The Hugo Mendoza Children’s Hospital has also seen an increase in cases, with the head of epidemiology, Manuel Colomé, saying that this strain of dengue was more aggressive than ones they had seen previously.

Private hospitals are also reporting increases in dengue cases. Rafael Mena, president of the Association of Private Hospitals and Clinics (Andeclip) has urged doctors to be aware of the symptoms of the disease that include fever, headache, aching of the eyes, lack of appetite and a rash in some cases.

Of the cases analyzed in the reports of the Epidemiology Department, some 75% tested positive for dengue.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...ricos-en-junio

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Be careful out there, spray!!!

computer translated:

Dengue and malaria take the lives of 27 people until June

Doris Pantaleón
doris.pantaleon@listindiario.com
Santo Domingo, RD

Malaria has registered an important increase so far this year, with 232 cases captured up to the first week of June, due to the epidemiological surveillance carried out by the Ministry of Health, for an increase of 67% over the previous year. The system reported two deaths from this disease.

While patients with dengue symptoms continue to reach hospital centers in the country, motivating the increase in income, and 50% of cases captured by the system in recent weeks are recorded in the metropolitan area.

Both diseases are transmitted by the bite of mosquitoes. The vector of dengue is Aedes aegypti, which is raised in clean water, especially the one stored in and around the homes; while that of malaria is the Anopheles mosquito that reproduces in stagnant and swampy waters.

Until the first week of June, the epidemiological surveillance system had recorded 2,921 cases of dengue for an increase of 459% compared to the same period of the previous year when there were 528 cases registered. Although the official report does not report any death related to the disease, hospital reports indicate that at least 25 patients have died with similar symptoms, 17 of them in the Robert Reid Cabral, seven in the south of the country and one in the hospital San Lorenzo, from Los Mina.

According to the report, of vector-borne diseases, the two main diseases that affect the country are dengue and malaria, and the Ministry recommends the detection and timely diagnosis of cases in order to provide appropriate management and reduce the risk of the occurrence of deaths.

Indicates that in epidemiological week 23, 198 probable cases of dengue were reported, 82% in children under 15 years of age and that in the last four weeks of registration, 791 cases were reported (probable and confirmed), half of which reside in the region. O Metropolitan.

The month of June is when the pediatric hospitals of the metropolitan area began to register a greater increase of cases of dengue. Only Robert Reid Cabral and Santo Respiratory Diseases Santo Socorro jointly reported that month 212 cases of children with characteristics of the disease.

In the first six months Reid Cabral received 620 probable cases and the San Lorenzo de Los Mina Maternal Childhood, 280 cases of patients with symptoms suspected of dengue, such as high fever, headaches, behind the eyes and joints, inappetence and general discomfort.

The Hugo Mendoza hospital also reported a sustained increase in cases, the same is reported in hospitals in the southern and northern regions of the country, as well as in private sector centers.

Campaign
Recently, the Ministry of Public Health launched the campaign "Your family is worth everything" aimed at preventing and controlling the diseases transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito and minimizing the negative effects of dengue, zika and chicungunya by promoting key messages that contribute to the adoption of individual and collective measures through effective communication that leads to behavior change.

Recommendations
Good hygiene, clean the environments and roofs of homes, avoid containers in the yards where water accumulates, cover well the water that is stored for household chores, do not self-medicate, much hydration and go to the doctor when a member of the family present fever that starts suddenly, accompanied by headache, pain behind the eyes and muscle and lack of appetite, are some of the recommendations made by infectologists and directors of health centers.

Epidemiological Report .
Indicates that epidemiological week 23 reported 198 probable cases of dengue, 82% in children under 15 years.

Bell.
Public Health launched the campaign "Your family is worth everything" aimed at preventing diseases transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

https://listindiario.com/la-republi...-se-cobran-la-vida-de-27-personas-hasta-junio

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am lucky to live in the hills above the ocean with a stiff breeze always. "I am a man of constant viento".
So mosquitoes don't come here.
I learned in Puerto Rico they also don't fly above 6 floors.

But since Dengue they breed in clean water make sure your tinaco has a lid and all pipe penetrations are caulked and don't save an uncovered barrel for when the water quits. ( Parts of the country have to store because of such poor water service )

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am 100M up a cliff... 300ft high..... constant breezes

Mosquitoes are here....
6 flrs up must mean straight up.... not terra firma above the 6 flr height !!

I spray a lot on the closet
am thinking of training bats to hunt .....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This doesn't seem to be abating, kind of scary. Computer translated.

Dengue deaths rise to 27 in Dominican Republic with 11,332 cases

By EFE Date: September 29, 2019

Santo Domingo, Sep 28.- The number of deaths due to dengue fever in the Dominican Republic rose from 22 to 27, according to the latest Epidemiological Bulletin of the Ministry of Public Health, corresponding to week 36, which accounts for 11,332 recorded cases of the disease .

Thus, the cumulative incidence of the disease is 158.02 cases per 100,000 inhabitants until Epidemiological Week (SE) 36 (from September 1 to 7), which represents a rate increase of 1,336% over last year, during which 782 cases of dengue were recorded in the same period.

During the last four epidemiological weeks (SE 33 to SE 36) 3,233 cases of dengue were reported, of which 61% (1,983) were treated in public network health centers, 32% (1,021) in private centers and the remaining 7% (229) in centers of other subsectors, such as non-profit organizations, or in military-police health.

In this period, 74% (288/387) of the samples processed resulted in IgM + for dengue, the document notes.

Health authorities maintain the green alert in seven provinces in the east and northeast of the country (Baoruco, Dajabón, Independencia, Pedernales, Peravia, Puerto Plata and Santiago Rodríguez), while the rest of the territories are on yellow alert.

The Ministry of Health maintains the recommendation to implement dengue prevention and control measures through social mobilization days, which include the elimination of hatcheries and application of larvicides.

https://almomento.net/suben-a-27-las-muertes-por-dengue-en-republica-dominicana-con-11-332-casos/

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mostly the young and old - as I understand

Hopefully - I fit into neither bracket.....hopefully/wishful thinking !!!

hahaha

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mostly the young and old - as I understand

Hopefully - I fit into neither bracket.....hopefully/wishful thinking !!!

hahaha

Well, for you and my husband, who've had dengue already, it's particularly dangerous. We've bought an array of sprays, citronella (candles, but we like the incense best), etc.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Clap your hands --- Revival Time

This is good info .....

Not just the acetaminophen drains your white cells

I got smart on my 3rd go round.... Pedialyte and Ensure.
Got me thru and avoided the 'no drinking' period afterwards

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

This is good info .....

This thred is a year old.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

This is good info .....

Is there a difference between Pedialyte and Gatorade?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pedialyte is a children's thing.... w/o reading the label, I couldn't tell you
Both would work - one may be a bit stronger

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Had it about 10 years ago in Puerto Rico. It does kill by the way, not usually the first case but reinfections are more dangerous.
Could not move, sore like you can not describe. The nick name of dengue is "break-bone disease"
Chills and fever coming and going, huge sweating, almost had to crawl to the bathroom to pee.
Didn't eat much and was very dehydrated after a week.
Good news - it is a good weight loss plan.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

This is good info .....

Dominicans are very big on Ensure for everything, they think it’s a cure-all. We ship cases down there in our drums/tanques. It’s the doctors recommending it (and Glucerna if they’re diabetic)

When Mr AE had dengue, the hospital recommended a homemade concoction that he was supposed to drink all day. Every Dominican I mentioned it to agreed wholeheartedly, although the ingredients seemed too simple to make any difference. As I recall, it was a blended mixture of guava juice and red bell peppers. I don’t remember what else was in it, if anything. I made a lot of it though!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chico - Break Bone Fever.... it's called.
Yes, it can kill.

I never suffered the joint pain - just the fever & pounding headache - constant.

AE
The clinic made me some special drink - I was admitted for case #2...
That was the time my bloodwork went way out of whack ... low white cell count.

My last episode (#3) arrived on the airplane to PHL....
That's the time I drank the electrolytes and Ensure..... perfect bloodwork at the end.

Drugs, drinks or not.... there ain't no shortcut..... just slog thru it !!

Reactions: janlindy